Post by SapporoGuy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 pm

yes, yes, hooks for future release is better ;D
More time to decide on which system is best too!

930sc ... because it is fun!

Post by Johnathan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Now that you've suggested on-the-fly modifications, I think that's a much better way to go than hooks. As mentioned in that thread, hooks are limited to where they're placed, as well as requiring the time it takes to place them and learn where they are. Either system would be better than none, but I'm in favor of (what I see as) the more flexible one.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by Qphoria » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Tis true.. on the fly could also work for this... I best finish that up today and get the first version out for play

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by CUSTOM_UK » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:30 am

The one change I would really like to see, is where templates from version 1.5 onwards will be forwards compatible.

Im sure that many shop owners (and some developers) get put off with templates no longer working every time a new version is brought out.

Post by Qphoria » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:38 am

Yea.. I'm no template expert so it is hard to think about how to do that. But based on what I know...

For example, in 1.4.8 the cart sidebox was update to include more information about totals. The homepage was updated to make the latest products modular and support home modules. These are template related changes of course. So how do you stop making changes like that?

Realistically, if the html is coded properly with sufficient css ids and classes, you should be able to create a unique theme using just the stylesheet as shown here

If you made a css only theme then you'd have little to no problem maintaining it between versions.

Granted, the current theme base for 1.4.x was not well coded and had many inline styles, so a few of the tpl files did need to be edited as well. But again, if the proper theme guidelines were followed, updates should have been almost non-existent. Most themes I've seen should have been able to do it with simple stylesheet and header.tpl changes. Most other files (home, product, checkout, payment) have not changed and are just copied from the default unnecessarily.

In 1.5.0, the main layout will not likely get many updates as it is mostly just the canvas. But individual tpl files may change, which was the point of making them very modular and individual so that small changes only affect a few files.

Administrator

Post by alex1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:40 am

Qphoria, thanks for the info!

Can you tell me if the base template is the same as the screenshots Daniel showed? I love that template and hope it makes it over to 1.5.

Also, is Google checkout part of the payment modules now?

Thanks

Post by Qphoria » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:04 am

yea the template screenshots are still accurate

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Qphoria wrote:Perhaps some fancy javascript can be used for this in opencart. Something that parses the list above and simulates the list.
1. split on the "-"
2. put "Large" and "Med" into 1 dropdown called "Size"
3. put "Black", "Red", "Blue" into another dropdown called "Color"
4. and based on the qty, enable or disable the option. With some really cool javascript this could probably work without any changes to the backend.
5. on submit, concatenate the values back together again, map it to the corresponding option value id and it could be transparent to the cart code
Food for thought... might be overlooking some stuff, but thats the idea
I don't know if this is going to make sense, or whether it would even work, but instead of the above, couldn't you just provide multiple text boxes for each option name, and have each turned into a dropdown on the product page? For example:

Option name: Colour and size
Variables: (input 1) Colour; (input 2) Size
Value [1]: (input 1) Blue; (input 2) Small
Value [2]: (input 1) Blue; (input 2) Medium
Value [3]: (input 1) Green; (input 2) Large
Value [4]: (input 1) Red; (input 2) Large

Then, on the front end, gather all of the unique values and group them so that their 'sub-values' are displayed in separate drop-downs for the user? In the case of the above, the user would see:

Colour: (options) Blue, Green, Red

If they select 'Blue', then they would also see:
Size: (options) Small, Medium

Or if instead of Blue they had selected Green or Red, they would only see 'Large' in the 'Size' drop-down.

Would that work?

Post by thienvk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Some product have color not like base color

it is best if can add image to option value

Exam

Post by eyeweb » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:27 pm

OK, youre going to hate this question, so I will butter you up first ;)

The new enhancements look absolutely amazing, and I can't wait to get my hands on them....... and even better the fact you have given a heads up on some of the things to expect is great, far better than a 'its out and this is what you get' post.

This however has put me in a predicament......

I had just started a new project using Open cart (Basic install only stage), and was about to begin work on developing my templates etc.... With a hope to have it completed by Mid January

What I want to avoid is completeing it, launching the store only to have an update that requires lots of changes, both to the templates and how products are entered/managed etc...

So my predicament is this...... Do I wait for V1.5 and go straight to that version, or Develop based on 1.4.9.3 only to have to change it all once V1.5 is released?

So I suppose my question is, when are you HOPINg for a release?

Please understand I am not looking for an exact date, merely something to help me answer my own question :D

Post by rsbenedict » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:15 am

I'm in pretty much the same boat, but decided that my store couldn't wait for 1.5 to come out. I'm not discounting all the work that Daniel has done, but 1.5 was supposed to come out a couple months ago, so I just couldn't wait for the new version to be released. When it comes, I'll be very happy and appreciative, but until then, I need my store up and running.

The only changes I made to the default template was to put my own header and footer "wrap" around the default template and that's easily duplicatable when the new version and template are released. I'll just cut and paste my header and footer to the new template along with the appropriate css or, better yet, create separate header/footer/css files and import them into the new files with php includes and css imports.

I am also looking forward to many of the new features of 1.5 and beyond and can't wait for them to appear. I'm always a succor for updates of any kind on software or hardware and I'm always impatient (still waiting for Android 2.2 on Samsung Epic that's been promised by the end of the year :( ), but sometimes patience pays off.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:23 am

the hopeful release is 1/1/2011.. but I'd pad that with 2 weeks as there will still be a lot of stuff to be tested and bugs to iron out.

Administrator

Post by rsbenedict » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:53 am

I'd be willing to test it out in the real world, if you need someone.

Post by eyeweb » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Thats fine, and happy to wait, and do so with happy smiles as the improvements planned look to allow OC to jump up a notch, both with what it will offer and how much easier it will be to build into :)

As others have said, as we will be developing this and not going live straight away, we are in a position to, and more than happy to adopt early to help with bugtesting etc

Post by dony_b » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:20 am

How are these changes and additions going to affect the page size and load time ?

Location - Boston, MA

Post by hbuchel » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:27 pm

Qphoria wrote:the hopeful release is 1/1/2011.. but I'd pad that with 2 weeks as there will still be a lot of stuff to be tested and bugs to iron out.
I guess that gives me plenty of time to get some .PSD's coded to HTML to port over to OpenCart templates when its released. Yay.

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:33 pm

There is no good way at this time to upgrade from the current product options system to this new way. Someone may have some magical sql/php that does it, but nothing is planned from us. Upgraders from 1.4.x to 1.5.x will likely lose all product options.
There will be. I am planning to upgrade the Export/Import module to the Opencart version 1.5.x, this will make transfering the products and their options to Opencart 1.5. a lot easier.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus

Expert Member

Post by mystifier » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Xsecrets wrote:I hate to see great features and then ask for more, but Given the nature of them breaking things. I would really love to have the modules get per store settings.
Seconded. Although I am not using it yet, multi-store, each with its own template, was the feature that caused me to choose Opencart. It brings many advantages and provides a new tier even where it is effectively the same store.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I need MyModule (Simple HTML), Q-CMS and Payment modules to be multi-store.

I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade from 1.4.9 but Multistore is a great selling point.

Free v1.4.9 Extensions: Default Specials | Improved Search | Customer Activity Report | Customer Groups | Royal Mail With Handling | Improved Product Page | Random Products | Stock Report | All Products

Post by OC2PS » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Qphoria wrote:the hopeful release is 1/1/2011.. but I'd pad that with 2 weeks as there will still be a lot of stuff to be tested and bugs to iron out.
Happy to lend a hand in end-user testing...

OC2PS
OC 2.3.0.2, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal2 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary

Post by i2Paq » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:45 pm

sooskriszta wrote:
Happy to lend a hand in end-user testing...
[bad joke]
Yes, give her the chance as she will always find something to complain about, she's a woman :laugh:
[/bad joke]

:clown:

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands