Post by affect » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Kiu wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:42 pm
@affect: Can you tell us, what is BS3 / BS4?
Yep, OpenCart's migrating to the newer Bootstrap 4, which is quite a bit of work: https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/migration/
There's also Twig1 > Twig2 switch so there's that: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/co ... a5ca9753c9

So, an official working 3.1 beta would be neat before it's released as stable.

MultiMerch Marketplace for OpenCart

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Kiu wrote:
He means: Bootstrap ( version 3 > 4 ) http://getbootstrap.com/
One of the engines behind OC (OpenCart)

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:17 pm

affect wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:19 pm
Kiu wrote:
Yep, OpenCart's migrating to the newer Bootstrap 4, which is quite a bit of work: https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/migration/
There's also Twig1 > Twig2 switch so there's that: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/co ... a5ca9753c9

So, an official working 3.1 beta would be neat before it's released as stable.
Well, nearly exact 1 year after the last official release, I would say that it should be time to publish the next release.
Otherwise the next Library has to be updated, and then the next .. and so on .. O0

Beside the updates of these Libraries, there are many other (some good, some less good) changes & additions in the core that it would be good to have soon a release for testing.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by jakuba » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Hello, any new version coming? It is already a year.

Location - CZ-Prague

Post by shahriar-b » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm

since development on the main opencart github is completely dead and it has been a year since last release, it would be great if someone could atleast fork the master repository apply the hotfixes and patches to current version for the new users.

Post by OSWorX » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm

shahriar-b wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm
since development on the main opencart github is completely dead and it has been a year since last release, it would be great if someone could atleast fork the master repository apply the hotfixes and patches to current version for the new users.
Interesting .. do not know where you had a look (if !), but there are many commits: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/commits/master
So, please do not write nonsens!

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by straightlight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:43 pm

While not only the commits are being constantly updated, the issues tab on Opencart GitHub are also constantly being addressed. While the one or a few being on desperation for a new release, take note of the mass changes being required despite the time period being required in order to fit the new requirements compared to countless forum users that reported OC issues while it had nothing to do with problems encountered internally in the platform but rather reflected by something else that still impacted OC and thinking it could be an OC issue.

The bug fixes will only resolved the issues that are internally affecting Opencart. While the Marketplace feature has also been integrated into recent OC releases, this issue remains stand-alone compared to the use of APIs with payments, shipping and total order extension modules.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by affect » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:03 am

Yeah, stuff's actually happening on GH – that's great. I just can't get my head around the fact that there hasn't been an official bugfix release of 3.0.x for a year now, considering the fixes are all available. Especially since when 3.1 comes out it will be a major one, again – with a whole set of new issues to be resolved.

MultiMerch Marketplace for OpenCart

Post by straightlight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:09 am

Especially since when 3.1 comes out it will be a major one, again – with a whole set of new issues to be resolved.
Can hardly wait.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by shahriar-b » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm
shahriar-b wrote:
Interesting .. do not know where you had a look (if !), but there are many commits: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/commits/master
So, please do not write nonsens!
I was referring to RELEASES and not the commits, and even for commits you can clearly see last commit was done 11 days ago and it was just a PHP version update! so basically nothing was done, and if you think this is still nonsens please have a look at other open source ecommerce platforms on github to see how actively they are being developed. the problem right now is that we could have a release with fixes and improvements months back before jumping to BS4 and pushing the release back for another (few?) months.

Post by straightlight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:17 pm

and pushing the release back for another (few?) months.
That is still presumptious since no official dates nor period of time has been provided officially by the OC team for the next release.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm

shahriar-b wrote:
since development on the main opencart github is completely dead ..
Means for me, you said that nobody does nothing.
Which is not true.
And yes, the last release is quite a time long back - true, and we could celebrate the 1st 'birthday' of the last release in 5 days.
And yes, a new release 3.0.2.1 or 3.0.3.0 with all the bugfixes should be published before the 3.1.x release with many new features will be published.

But, you are free to fork and do some work - if it makes sense?

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by markcm » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:08 pm
My recommendation is to download an official version, and then apply the bugfixes that have been noted in the bugfix topic. If you find other bugs, post in that topic (or the appropriate support sub-forum) and see if anyone has a fix. I understand that's not ideal --- and what we'd all like is more frequent bugfix releases --- but in my experience that's the quickest way to a stable store.
Hi, I'm working on migrating from oscmax to opencart. Can you elaborate on this comment? I've been looking at the bug-report forum but are you referring to a specific list or repository of patches that I should apply from the start? I have installed 3.0.2.0 from Godaddy's cPanel app's. It seems to be working fairly well although I've only done a test migration and poked around for a few hours.

Thank you.

Post by straightlight » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:22 pm

I've been looking at the bug-report forum but are you referring to a specific list or repository of patches that I should apply from the start?
Unfortunately, all OC versions have their flaws. In order to run the platform more efficiently, the bug-fixes must be applied until the next release gets published by the OC team.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Johnathan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 pm

markcm wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:36 pm
Hi, I'm working on migrating from oscmax to opencart. Can you elaborate on this comment? I've been looking at the bug-report forum but are you referring to a specific list or repository of patches that I should apply from the start? I have installed 3.0.2.0 from Godaddy's cPanel app's. It seems to be working fairly well although I've only done a test migration and poked around for a few hours.

Thank you.

There's no single list, as far as I'm aware, though the 3.0.2.0 bug topic in the forum is a good start. You can also search the 3.0 section of the forum to see about individual bugs people have posted. After that, you'd need to start browsing the issues section in the github, and figure out which ones are bug fixes. I haven't actually done the process myself, so I can't say if that covers all the issues, or if there are still unsolved ones out there. Unfortunately there's no "master list" anywhere that I'm aware.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by markcm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:03 am

Johnathan wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 pm
markcm wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Thank you.

There's no single list, as far as I'm aware, though the 3.0.2.0 bug topic in the forum is a good start. You can also search the 3.0 section of the forum to see about individual bugs people have posted. After that, you'd need to start browsing the issues section in the github, and figure out which ones are bug fixes. I haven't actually done the process myself, so I can't say if that covers all the issues, or if there are still unsolved ones out there. Unfortunately there's no "master list" anywhere that I'm aware.
Thanks for that clarification

Could anyone estimate how well opencart 3.0.2.0 will work "out of the box"? I have a small store with only a few niche items; 10+ years of customers and orders I'm migrating over. Coming from oscmax which has been slowly dying for years and has zero forum activity, Opencart looks quite modern and functional at my first glance although some of the posts I'm starting to come across like this make me a bit apprehensive. I've been supporting my site in oscommerce and oscmax for this duration and have a decent ability to work on them; should I be concerned with opencart 3.0.2.0's stability or functionality? I've also looked at prestashop pretty indepth with a live installation but my first impression was that opencart was better suited to my needs.

Being brand new to OC and unfamiliar with it's ins-and-outs it seems logic for a newbie to start a shop and fix things as they arise rather than going to multiple forums to try to decipher which of the vast amounts of posts are potentially fixes and then try to apply them before seeing the issue(s) in action on a live site.

Does anyone know of any MUST-DO fixes for 3.0.2.0? Things that will definitely have to be patched for a fresh 3.0.2.0 installation to work, basic operational functionality? I plan on using PayPal Standard, USPS, and captcha; all of which seem to be working in my fresh install.

Thank you all for your help to a newb.

Post by cebol » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Wow, this is the news that we've all been waiting for
:laugh: :laugh:

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 pm

I strongly advise against the usage of OC 3.1.0.0 on live stores. OC 3.1.0.0 still has a number of unfixed bugs, especially in conjunction with its Theme Editor and OCmod.

Perhaps this would be a good time to think about a community edition of OC 3 with at least this included:
- bugfixes
- support for VQmod as well as OCmod
- fixes to Theme Editor, or complete removal of Theme Editor
- create a more robust template cache, including auto-refresh
- support for both Twig and PHP template
- added support for template modification via catalog/view/*/before event handlers
- discontinue server-side caching of resized thumbnail images

There are probably more technical issues that need to be sorted, but these are the main ones I can think of right now.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by schiggi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:49 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 pm
- discontinue server-side caching of resized thumbnail images
What is wrong by caching the resized thumbnails? I wasn't aware, that this is a problem.

Post by emilioj » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:47 pm

The problem here, in my opinion, is the lack of bug fix releases.

I appreciate the hard work of the main OC developers, both fixing bugs and introducing new features, but I think the product (Opencart) would benefit from a more effective&efficient release policy. The "new version will be released when it's ready" mantra, quite common in free software projects, has sense when you are providing regular bug fix updates (not just an unstructured list of git patches) that mitigate the urge for a version with new features.

I think that just keeping the old releases in independent git branches, cherry-picking there the bug fix commits that are also applied in the main branch, would make it easier to provide periodic bug fix releases.

Let's hope the new OC version is available in 2018...