Post by Xsecrets » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:43 am

Daniel wrote: I'm working on the multi layout system that allows you to customise each page with banners and multi columns.
does that mean that the template system will change significantly?

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by qahar » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Daniel wrote:I'm working on the multi layout system that allows you to customise each page with banners and multi columns.
the menu will abe a mega menu and you will be able to select what links you want to appear.
Hi Daniel,

It's sounds like Joomla approach on menu and theme layout. Is that mean a theme can "decide" what column layout is available? then it will "upgrade" all module position options?
If you don't mind, what you think about fallback function for controller on 1.5? ;D

And thanks for awesome job you made.

Regards,
Qahar

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by Daniel » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:00 pm

no changes to how the template works. the menu works like all the other elements do in the template.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by DavidThierry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:57 pm

Daniel wrote:I'm really getting excited about what I'm doing with the next version. the next version really will be a game changer.

Its really the next level that will blow mangeto, prestashop etc.. away. it will be more on par with the big named stores that are out there. there are so many features and flexiabilty to handle millions of products.
Now I'm starting to get REAL excited.. Have been checking this tread daily for the magic "1.5 is now ready for download" message from Daniel.. That post is going to make me check twice a day now :)

- I'm really hoping to see a product category tree in the admin section for v1.5 (crossing fingers).. 8)

Post by sys » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:03 am

Qphoria wrote:
I wouldn't. The "multi-store" as it is named in opencart is more like "Single-Admin/Multi-front". So its slightly more convenient to add products and handle orders by logging into 1 store instead of logging in to 2 stores. But that is where it ends. I think most people would prefer a "multi-vendor" option that allowed others to sell their items on your store, allowing you to profit on each sale.. like Amazon, iOffer, ebay, etc. That would be the future. OpenCart doesn't do that
Then it will be similar to the e-Mall (affiliate program), but I hardly think anyone can compete with Amazon, iOffer, ebay and etc.
This is a separate issue not related to the store. You can create a separate area for opencart.

But really in its current form. OpenCart can not called a multi-store because it lacks many features and functions.

What I want. Is to have a "Single-Admin" and a common base items (all items in one location), additional access to limited functions for support - managers (each store separately), contacts, discounts, shipping and etc.
I think a good example can be viartshop or presto (but there are downsides, too)

P.S.
I think the Multi-Store features it's very important element! Requiring development. I'll be ready to even pay for it.

sys

Post by KristianThrane » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:58 am

Currently using Magento which i think is too big and confusing. Have spent the last couple of evenings playing around with OpenCart, and i am really impressed and my plan is to convert my shop to OpenCart in the near future.

Good luck with the release of 1.5 - sounds very good - looking forward! :)

Best regards,
Kristian Thrane
packagepeople.dk

Post by Wallimann » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:56 am

Just wanted to thank Dan and the team for their hard work.
I am very happy with Opencart and very much looking forward to next version.
Thanks!!!

Guitar Backing Tracks and Video Lessons at http://www.guitarplayback.com

Location - Colorado

Post by Daniel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:39 am

sys wrote: But really in its current form. OpenCart can not called a multi-store because it lacks many features and functions.

What I want. Is to have a "Single-Admin" and a common base items (all items in one location), additional access to limited functions for support - managers (each store separately), contacts, discounts, shipping and etc.
I think a good example can be viartshop or presto (but there are downsides, too)

P.S.
I think the Multi-Store features it's very important element! Requiring development. I'll be ready to even pay for it.
OpenCart is multi store. You don't know what multi store is and are confusing multi store with multi vendor!

managers (each store separately), is multi vendor!

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by 900pixels » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:09 am

Can I ask if muli store in 1.5.0 will allow modules to be store specific?
My current plan for multi-store is to use several stores to improve SEO on long tail searches but I am unable to offer any store specific modules as they appear in all stores with corresponding columns. :'(

Post by gocreative » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:04 pm

Daniel wrote:OpenCart is multi store. You don't know what multi store is and are confusing multi store with multi vendor!

Go easy there, tiger. I'm not sure if you intended this post to sound aggressive, but it did to me.

Post by Daniel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:14 pm

yes it was aggressive. i got pissed off that this guy was saying opencart was not multi store when he did not even know what it ment.

I don't know what other carts hes comparing OC againest but there are only 2 carts I know that have multi vendor and they are both commercial and you need to pay a lot of money. I'm not sure magento does multi vendor or not. it does multi store.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Personally i dont know what to consider it. Since modules can and stuff can't be changed "per-store". I would call it multi-store "lite". The proper way to make it true multistore would probably be to add a new column to the setting table for "store_id". Then all modules/extensions could be set on a per-store basis. But that is a huge job to update all modules to support a store_id option

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:08 pm

if you paid a web company to develop a feature like this for a shoipping cart you are talking 10,000 GBP easy. it is something i plan to add in after 1.5.0. i have people phone me asking abou t this feature and its not really on my priority list because its not main stream. also the people who want this will make a lot of money out of it without selling any of there own goods. they just setup a form so people can sign up to sell goods. like amazon stores or yahoo stores. I think someone on the forum from thailand is already gdoing this.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:12 pm

I've considered it, but like you say, it's a lot of work

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by gocreative » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:03 am

This is the type of thing where you should leave it out of the core (permanently) and charge for the add-on. That way you please 99% of users but can make some good money from the other 1%.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 am

oneilldesign wrote:This is the type of thing where you should leave it out of the core (permanently) and charge for the add-on. That way you please 99% of users but can make some good money from the other 1%.
I suppose, but it's not easily done as an addon since it modifies so many core files and every single model query does a look up with store_id. Perhaps that just means it could be done differently/better.. but I digress... I have no real need so I'll just let it be as it is already too involved in the core and isn't breaking anything.

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:00 am

Well, what you could do is allow for it in the core/DB, but leave out the code/functionality. But yeah, I don't need it either so I'll let you guys sort that out :)

Post by sys » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:49 am

Daniel wrote:
OpenCart is multi store. You don't know what multi store is and are confusing multi store with multi vendor!

Read carefully Daniel. It's confusing and you do not try to understand!
With all due respect. I can not understand that so irritates you?

I'm not talking about multi-vendor. Not to be confused all together and put in one basket. What relation Amazon or Ebay has to multi - store?!
I just said that now opencart this multi - showcase (front), but not multi - store.

If you have one storehouse! One owner. And a lot of stores with different names and different products. These stores are located in different regions or countries where different shipping and cost. And you want to sell separately with different conditions of sales, prices, discounts, etc.
Then what is it?

Now I only see a different design, even the contacts are the same, I can not give each store different conditions of sales. I do not have flexibility.
I do not even know how it works and how Googlebot sees it?
(I do not have detailed instructions for working with multi-store, but these issues are regularly).

P.S.
I apologize for my English.
I tried to just say my opinion. Protect your work.
Without making criticism, giving only a proposal ...
But your reaction not adequately man is very strange!
If you think that your work is not assessed adequately, and are jealous of commercial projects, then do Commercial projects.
But if the price is high, better then I'll pay for the work of others!
Now there are new e-commerce multi-store products, one of the famous is viartshop.com, prestashop.com also have other, can look!

sys

Post by sys » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:58 am

Daniel wrote:like amazon stores or yahoo stores. I think someone on the forum from thailand is already gdoing this.
This is a very different thing! :bash:
I do not know what is 10 000 GBP in your England. To me it would cost much cheaper :crazy:

sys

Post by gocreative » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:56 am

sys wrote:I do not know what is 10 000 GBP in your England.
http://www.xe.com ;)