Post by Qphoria » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Then just say that. Seems you weren't aware of the roadmap link. So you simply want an additional column for version in the existing roadmap page. Easy enough.
Bingo! There's your problem. OpenCart is about the users, not about you
On paper, sure. But it comes down to what we feel like adding and how we want to implement it. As shown, of the 20 items in the original typed out roadmap, very few will make it into 1.5.0, while a bunch of different ones will make it instead. This can be due to priority shift, or prerequisites or something we just feel is needed or not. So ok, I can update the roadmap list to change the versions.. same thing in the end

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:27 am

Qphoria wrote:Then just say that. Seems you weren't aware of the roadmap link. So you simply want an additional column for version in the existing roadmap page. Easy enough.
Pretty sure I mentioned the roadmap in my very first post in this discussion:
oneilldesign wrote:the Roadmap needs to indicate a proprosed version for each feature. At the moment 'Pending' could mean 'released in 2014'. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate but may reduce the number of questions asked about specific features.
And again a few posts later:
oneilldesign wrote:Why bother writing that spiel when you could just direct people to a list of all roadmap features scheduled for the next version? Seems quite foolish and much more difficult than just updating each item in the Roadmap (since you have to edit each item to change its status to 'pending' anyway).
Now THAT, my friend, is being 'owned'. 8)

As for your other comment:
Qphoria wrote:it comes down to what we feel like adding and how we want to implement it. As shown, of the 20 items in the original typed out roadmap, very few will make it into 1.5.0, while a bunch of different ones will make it instead. This can be due to priority shift, or prerequisites or something we just feel is needed or not. So ok, I can update the roadmap list to change the versions.. same thing in the end
Yes it is the same thing, except that using the Roadmap instead of just typing out a list in a post will offer the following benefits:
  • A single location for all information relating to each version (both future and previous releases).
  • You can provide a direct link to the Roadmap, sorted by version, for anyone who asks about which feature will be in the next version.
  • Less duplication of information.
  • Users can read the full details of each feature in the Roadmap, whereas in your posts you only give a short sentence.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:38 am

LOL.. Actually OWNED is being on the wrong side of the moderator who can deleting all threads that defame him :)

Anyway.. next time a simple "Please add which version in the roadmap" will suffice

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:01 am

Qphoria wrote:next time a simple "Please add which version in the roadmap" will suffice
You mean like this?
oneilldesign wrote:the Roadmap needs to indicate a proprosed version for each feature.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:21 am

oneilldesign wrote:
Qphoria wrote:next time a simple "Please add which version in the roadmap" will suffice
You mean like this?
oneilldesign wrote:the Roadmap needs to indicate a proprosed version for each feature.
Yes!

Administrator

Post by op_user » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:17 am

op_user wrote:Can I ask here if the affiliate system in 1.5.0 will be tiered, as in members who refer $XX or ## amount of referrals get more commission?
May someone answer this question please

I am waiting for Open Cart 3.0

Post by Daniel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:05 am

op_user wrote:
op_user wrote:Can I ask here if the affiliate system in 1.5.0 will be tiered, as in members who refer $XX or ## amount of referrals get more commission?
May someone answer this question please
yes.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by johnzhang » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:54 pm

how about the Drop Ship Function,do you have forget the baby ? ???

China Buy Dropship Buy From China Ebay Taobao

Post by Bux » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Qphoria wrote:LOL.. Actually OWNED is being on the wrong side of the moderator who can deleting all threads that defame him :)

Anyway.. next time a simple "Please add which version in the roadmap" will suffice
People! I agree with oneilldesign that sometimes the communication can be better (although oneilldesign doesn't state that literally). On the other hand, bear with the main developers. They do all the tough work for us, more or less without asking anything in return. Let's keep the postings friendly even if there is some miscommunication. That's all I wanted to say. ::)

Oh...and this: Daniel & Qphoria: THANK YOU!

Bux

Location - The Netherlands

Post by Skyhigh » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:45 am

I'd the devs valuable time to be spent working on OpenCart and not faffing with having to update a "version" column on the roadmap as they decide (or discover) which version each item will finally be in.
(the movement of one item could push them all back a very, etc).

Developing is hard enough without pointless red-tape that needs constantly updating**.

** Yes, true words from a bitter developer!

LoveMoissanite.com - Moissanite Rings - Proudly Powered by Opencart
[How To] Speed Up Page Content with Opencart - Opencart advocate since 2009

Post by bader » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:32 am

Is the new version will change the way how modules are working?

When it will be available for public?

Post by op_user » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:31 am

bader wrote:Is the new version will change the way how modules are working?

When it will be available for public?
Maybe in a couple weeks or later (just a hunch). The less questions we ask the sooner the release will be. :)

I am waiting for Open Cart 3.0

Post by Daniel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:41 am

I would like to do a development blog but i'm still haven't decided what the new template will look like and any screen shots might look right.

Everything has been started now but not finished.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:14 am

Skyhigh wrote:I'd [rather] the devs valuable time to be spent working on OpenCart and not faffing with having to update a "version" column on the roadmap
I agree, however my point was that doing this would not only present more information for users, but possibly also save time in the long run by not having to repeatedly answer the same questions. Instead, users can just be referred to the roadmap.

I'm big on communication as it's a constant frustration for me. I am responsible for the internal and external communications of over 900 staff and I can tell you that it's nice to know what's going on. Hence I'm very process-oriented to ensure that optimal results are achieved with maximum efficiency. I'm like a German car!

Post by bader » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:20 am

One more thing, I think opencart should make commercial versions like Magento. It should be more commercial than personal business like now, to raise some money so you can hire developers as much as you want Daniel. The developers must program many modules and templates for specific price (modules for 15$ to 30$ for example so people can buy it). Each version must have something unique (iPhone App for example). It must be like LEGO, you shape it by modules and templates. The important thing, you can add more products (In thousands), specific control panel for vendors and wholesalers, specific control panel for each store so you can give the permission to someone to manage it.

No matter when you will release it, but you should make it perfect. Donate will not help to provide high quality products, this is the truth.

Post by gocreative » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:51 am

bader wrote:Donate will not help to provide high quality products, this is the truth.
I disagree. There are countless high quality free applications in the marketplace for a variety of purposes. I only use one commercial product suite on my PC (Adobe CS4) and everything else is free/open source.

There are various business models out there for shopping cart software, but there is no evidence to suggest that keeping OpenCart free will mean an inferior product.

There are also many commercial shopping carts on the market that are comparable with OpenCart's feature set, so if you want a commercial product then go and purchase those.

Post by bader » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:08 pm

oneilldesign wrote:
bader wrote:Donate will not help to provide high quality products, this is the truth.
I disagree. There are countless high quality free applications in the marketplace for a variety of purposes. I only use one commercial product suite on my PC (Adobe CS4) and everything else is free/open source.

There are various business models out there for shopping cart software, but there is no evidence to suggest that keeping OpenCart free will mean an inferior product.

There are also many commercial shopping carts on the market that are comparable with OpenCart's feature set, so if you want a commercial product then go and purchase those.
I don't need commercial shopping carts, and I did not say Daniel stop offering free version. Let face the facts, if people donate for OpenCart, where are the developers? Where is version 1.5 ? OpenCart must release a commercial version so companies buy it and we -as personal users- will benefit by hiring developers dedicate their efforts only for opencart.

Daniel Must develop as much as he can more modules and templates and offer it for a reasonable price.

Post by gocreative » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:22 pm

bader wrote:I don't need commercial shopping carts, and I did not say Daniel stop offering free version. Let face the facts, if people donate for OpenCart, where are the developers? Where is version 1.5 ? OpenCart must release a commercial version so companies buy it and we -as personal users- will benefit by hiring developers dedicate their efforts only for opencart.

Daniel Must develop as much as he can more modules and templates and offer it for a reasonable price.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't see why you think this must happen. OpenCart is continuing to be developed at a steady pace, has an active community of contributors and has systems in place for bug reports, code and so on. Yes, having a commercial product might mean more developers involved in the project, but it's not a requirement for OpenCart to be successful.

Post by jty » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:45 pm

oneilldesign wrote:I'm big on communication as it's a constant frustration for me. I am responsible for the internal and external communications of over 900 staff and I can tell you that it's nice to know what's going on. Hence I'm very process-oriented to ensure that optimal results are achieved with maximum efficiency. I'm like a German car!
I hear ya. Communcation is important but I also hear skyhigh
Open Cart doesn't have 900 staff to man the communication department
But Daniel can type code faster, and with one broken arm, than a corporate team can :ok:

To use a quote I've seen Qphoria use, "Rome wasn't built in one day"
It will come. Patience always fixes things (unless it's Internet Explorer, that is unfixable)

jty

Post by bader » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:40 pm

jty wrote:
oneilldesign wrote: But Daniel can type code faster, and with one broken arm, than a corporate team can :ok:
Be careful Dani, watch the road. Buy an insurance for your hands. Protect your hands. Long Live the OpenCart Programmer :laugh: