Post by neufke » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:11 am

@JAY6390: The escape thingie only applies with single quotes used within the string... and the way the queries are built... wouldnt be an issue. That said, apparently it is known that the current usage could be better... so why isnt it done?

Post by JAY6390 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 am

For the same reason a lot of things aren't done in what are considered a better way - because Daniel chooses not to. It's really no secret that despite people proposing solutions, most get ignored. Considering how little time Daniel must have to go through forums etc it's really no surprise that most people get no answer. However, even for those that he does see, ultimately Daniel isn't building OpenCart for everyone else, as has been stated elsewhere many times. This is something a lot of people don't seem to comprehend. OpenCart is open source, not a community project. While those are often symbiotic in almost all opensource projects, it's not a requirement and in OpenCart's case that's really not the case. Small pushes of code may get pulled into it now that it's on Github but other than that most feature/developmental change requests will be falling on deaf ears

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by neufke » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:29 am

Thank you for this explanation and it makes my decision a lot easier: i will continue to work for this 1 client with OC but without all the hassle of contributing to the project. As said, after days of debugging and reviewing 90% of the code i have a working 2.0.2.0 and i leave it to that. All plugins have also been rewritten that i am using so tomorrow i am going to create the final styles.

;-)

Post by gilaraujo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:57 am

neufke wrote:Thank you for this explanation and it makes my decision a lot easier: i will continue to work for this 1 client with OC but without all the hassle of contributing to the project. As said, after days of debugging and reviewing 90% of the code i have a working 2.0.2.0 and i leave it to that. All plugins have also been rewritten that i am using so tomorrow i am going to create the final styles.

;-)
So this begs the question of, Where should we focus?

Post by demelos » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:52 am

Checkout Step 2 not working on a fresh install of 2.0.2.0.
The continue button just doest move forward. Please help. I have double check the the address are correct

http://www.lifedisrupted.com/index.php
account fabio@demelos.com
pass: temp

Thanks.
FD

Post by villagedefrance » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:27 pm

For those you are interested, I have started my own version last year.

It is called Opencart Overclocked Edition.
You can find it here: http://villagedefrance.net
Github here: https://github.com/villagedefrance/OpenCart-Overclocked

It is based on OC 1.5.6 and it is now on its 5th release, v1.6.4.
I am open to collaborations and ideas, so if you want to be part of it, do feel free to fork it, or simply contact me.
If you find a bug or feel that you can improve my code, or add a new feature, get in touch.

The Opencart Overclocked Edition project is mostly for store owners, first timers or experienced. The goal is to make things easy to use by all, including customers, with better tools and a clean code based on the Official OC Coding Standards. The next version should bring a responsive (adaptive) frontend "default" template, but for now it is all un-responsive.

James and Daniel are aware of it already and I also spoke to James about it directly at the last Developer Meeting in London in February. But I had no feedback from them since.

OpenCart custom solutions @ https://villagedefrance.net

Location - UK

Post by OSWorX » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention your project also.

Will be the better choice - but how about moving forward to a 2.x-like system?
Any plans about?

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by villagedefrance » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:04 pm

@OSWorX

I have no plans to move towards a v2.0 based Overclocked Edition at this time.

The thing is, i don't really believe that frameworks (Bootstrap) are the answer. There are many frameworks around and in my view, choosing one above others is limiting. Also, I see frameworks as fashion accessories, following the latest web trends and then disappearing when a new funky one comes out. This is why I think the core should be kept simple and remain pure Html5 + CSS3, leaving developers free to decide if they want to use a framework for their extensions and themes. Same for LESS, optional but certainly not essential.

However, I agree that responsiveness is necessary, so wherever the project goes, it will have to be responsive.

Looking forward, and if things don't change, then it will probably mean starting a new shopping cart from scratch.

OpenCart custom solutions @ https://villagedefrance.net

Location - UK

Post by yodapt » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:12 pm

@villagedefrance,

Totally agree on keeping the core apart from optional frameworks. I usually just use a generic CSS Reset on my projects and go from there.

Opencart Developer - My Extension Showcase
Contact me at aeon.yoda@gmail.com

Post by JAY6390 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:18 pm

If you guys are going to continue the discussion on a separate project, can you please start a new thread away from this as it's now massively off topic

Thanks
Jay

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by OSWorX » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:24 pm

With moving forwards ( > 2.x) I did not meant adding a CSS-framework like the original did.
More the capabilities 2.x has, like: responsive, online logging, activities, hooks, etc.

And yes, core should be core, not less - and not more.
Releasing only new versions because the contract with a new payment provider is made, is the wrong way of earning money.

1.5.x was very limited with every, I have installed your version several times for customers and it is well done.
But still missing some.
And you version was also build 'only' on 1.5 which had a bad core.

Forking should be started with another approach.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by neufke » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 pm

On topic then: as of version 2.0.2.0 some of the important config names have been changed (e.g. : config_admin_limit -> config_limit_admin) which is quite annoying

Post by OSWorX » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:10 am

neufke wrote:On topic then: as of version 2.0.2.0 some of the important config names have been changed (e.g. : config_admin_limit -> config_limit_admin) which is quite annoying
Not 2.0.2.0 .. changed generally with 2.x (6 months ago).

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by neufke » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:27 am

OSWorX wrote:
neufke wrote:On topic then: as of version 2.0.2.0 some of the important config names have been changed (e.g. : config_admin_limit -> config_limit_admin) which is quite annoying
Not 2.0.2.0 .. changed generally with 2.x (6 months ago).
Ah, thnx, well, checked, it wasn't changed in 2.0.0.0 so somewhere in between then... ;-)

Post by OSWorX » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:37 am

Having here all 2.x versions, in 2.0.0.0 it is

Code: Select all

$this->config->get('config_limit_admin')
and that version was published last year October.
Also 2.0.0._rc from Mai 2014

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by gilaraujo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:53 am

Well to me THIS is the problem.
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/is ... t-90649253

i am so so confused!
lol :|

Post by OSWorX » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:42 am

gilaraujo wrote:Well to me THIS is the problem.
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/is ... t-90649253

i am so so confused!
lol :|
And because why is this a problem?

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by gilaraujo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:05 am

I dont know about you but... reading

"dont waste my time posting crap like this. never use shared ssl as its not secure!"

Even if he has a point! is simply not a way to address ANYONE!

I guess i am old, and old fashioned, and still think the internet is not a "jail free card" to be a rude ______ (you can fill the blank). Common sense and manners, isnt that a thing anymore?

Post by neufke » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:57 am

OSWorX wrote:Having here all 2.x versions, in 2.0.0.0 it is

Code: Select all

$this->config->get('config_limit_admin')
and that version was published last year October.
Also 2.0.0._rc from Mai 2014
I had no 2.0.0._rc, i think it was a downloaded 2.0.0.0 but nonetheless, it is important to mention that config names can change with any version too because i've been searching why all my lists were as long as they were... Maybe it benefits someone... ;-)

@gilaraujo: i'm getting old too, on the other hand, if the comments keep stacking up and there is nog communication in a project like this, members are starting to be rude too. That is not an excuse but it's human i guess....

The comment @ the bug report is, well, trashy... ;-)

Post by gilaraujo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:02 am

I am not even sure anymore, i was educated in the sense of: If you dont have anything positive to say, say nothing at all. IF you are going to say something at least take 30 secs to think it over. That comment is trashy yes, but also leaves the person that reported it in limbo.

30 sec answer would have been.
"
Hi there, thank you for reporting. however shared SSL is not a secure method and was reversed. Check this link/google this keywords.
Therefore this cannot be implements and i am closing the Issue.
"

As Jeremy Clarkson would say..."how hard can it be!?"