Post by CaptainHaddock » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 am

Hi,
Would appreciate some advice please.
I've done fresh install of OC3.03.6 and installed a couple of extensions.
Hosting is with Siteground and has automatic daily backups. I recently been moved off cpanel and onto their own rather frustrating Site Manager tool.
My problem is restore of the backups result in broken site. Their backups only include /public_html. They do not include /storage. So when I do a restore the /storage folder is out of sync with /public_html.
The result is the opencart site and the admin fail to load e.g. :
"Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'Twig\Loader\ArrayLoader' not found in /home/customer/www/mysite.com/public_html/system/library/template/twig.php:31"

Questions:
1. Does the storage folder have to be installed outside /public_html ?
2.How do I fix the broken site? Would it be best to wipe it and do the install again?
3. How do I successfully backup and restore the site in the Siteground Site Tools ? I've asked Sitegorund and they just say their backups only include /public_html and seemed baffled why Opencart was set up with storage outside it.

Thanks!

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:46 am

Well, change the Hoster, or then place/declare the storage inside /public_htm,
it's less secure, but the only way, if your hoster does not allow anything else. But
be aware, that the (Sub-) Version you use will be updated soon again, you should
better have selected one of the updated known 'solid' v.3.x Versions, to at least stay
a while with that version, as you obviously did with 1.5 ... :D
Good Luck!
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by CaptainHaddock » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 am

Thanks for your advice Ernie.
I am already considering moving host. I will write another post about that.
I don't want to put /storage in /public_html if less secure.
Do you have any links about the release of OC you think will be replacing mine soon?
I did quite a lot of research before choosing to go with the latest release. A lot of bugs had been fixed in it by people like Straightlight.
Cheers

Post by sw!tch » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:35 pm

CaptainHaddock wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 am
Hi,
Hosting is with Siteground and has automatic daily backups. I recently been moved off cpanel and onto their own rather frustrating Site Manager tool.
My problem is restore of the backups result in broken site. Their backups only include /public_html. They do not include /storage. So when I do a restore the /storage folder is out of sync with /public_html.
"Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'Twig\Loader\ArrayLoader' not found in /home/customer/www/mysite.com/public_html/system/library/template/twig.php:31"

Questions:
2.How do I fix the broken site? Would it be best to wipe it and do the install again?
3. How do I successfully backup and restore the site in the Siteground Site Tools ? I've asked Sitegorund and they just say their backups only include /public_html and seemed baffled why Opencart was set up with storage outside it.

Thanks!
#2 Download 3.03.6 again and copy only the system/storage dir back to the root directory and then refresh your modification cache in the admin.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Send a PM for Custom Work.
Backup and learn how to recover before you make any changes!

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:53 pm

Do you have any links about the release of OC you think will be replacing mine soon?
Well, it's a rather complicated Situation, the present 'latest' OC Version 3.0.3.6 seems to still be full
of problems. OC Forum Member xxvirusxx (condor2 on github.com) has an updated 3.0.3.6,
but he also has an updated OC v.2.3.0.2 Version, the one I would consider to use, to have a working
Solution, if I would have to decide on using a proven solid Edition, among a wide assortment of
Extensions and Themes.
https://github.com/condor2
----
But they still work on OC v.3.1.0.0, for quite some time already, to eventually replace 3.0.3.x on day.
And if one needs to rely on a working Shop, one should better not select a Version, where the Forum
is full of Topics, about Problems and Misses. Especially under the Aspect, that a growing number of
Dev's seem to keep silent lately, when it comes to assist others, just for the plain fun of it. And during
the past 6 Years, starting from v.1.5.6.4, about 30 different OC v.2.x - v.3.x Releases have been published
on Github, so, it's an average of about 2.5 months per Release, just to have this mentioned as well ... ::)
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/releases

Just to give you some impression, I can't compare, because I still use an Oldie, as long as nothing
easier, simpler, and better seems to exist. :D
Good Luck! ;)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:43 am

CaptainHaddock wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 am
Hi,

Questions:

Thanks!
Answers:
1. Yes, it's highly recommended that you keep the storage folder outside of the public_html directory.
2. Not if you don't have to. Is it only the storage folder you're missing? Download your Opencart version and upload that missing set of folders.
3. I don't know anything about SiteGround Site Tools so they'd need to answer this.

Based on your error above, it seems like you're missing a default file (nothing custom to your own site). I have a feeling uploading the storage folder from the original Opencart download will fix this. Clear the modification cache afterwards.

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by straightlight » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:08 am

During restoration points or upgrade process, the storage folder needs to go back inside of the public_html folder. Once either process completed, the storage folder needs to go back outside of the public_html folder. Ensure that both config.php files' storage path are also configured accordingly.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON