Post by Amstellodamois » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:04 am

I need to apply 20% VAT on all products, regardless of where the customers are based if they are private individuals and 20% on the French only if they are professionals. What's the logical way to do so with opencart 3?

If that's too much trouble, applying 20% on every single product, regardless where it's shipped to or who buys it would be a plan B.

Post by xxvirusxx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:51 am

Amstellodamois wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:04 am
I need to apply 20% VAT on all products
And the problem is??

Or you want to do something like this....

If product X has price 23$ and VAT is 20% (on you country)

And me I am in country XYYZ with 1% VAT for that category of products.
So you want to sell me 23$+1% VAT?

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Amstellodamois » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:14 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:51 am
Amstellodamois wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:04 am
I need to apply 20% VAT on all products
And the problem is??

Or you want to do something like this....

If product X has price 23$ and VAT is 20% (on you country)

And me I am in country XYYZ with 1% VAT for that category of products.
So you want to sell me 23$+1% VAT?
I'll sell it to you with 20% VAT.

That's the way it is in Europe for small shops and I'm selling exclusively inside the EU.

At the moment, no VAT appears on my store, even though I thought I set the products to taxable goods with 20% VAT ;D

Post by xxvirusxx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:33 am

So you want to have VAT taxes depending by country right?

Example:

If customer X is from Italy...VAT is 12.3%
If customer Y is from Germany...VAT is 13.2 %

And so on..

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Amstellodamois » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Nope, the VAT has to be 20% for everyone.

If the customer is in Italy, he still has to pay the French VAT (and no italian VAT). That is for a small business like mine: with Amazon, he would pay the Italian VAT only.

Post by Mike_Shop » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:03 am

Hello,
I have a similar problem

I want to sell in all Europe + non UE countries where they all have different VAT % and as far as I know from my accountant and from other purchases I have made from different countries I have to add the VAT to there the package is GOING.

For example: I am selling from Germany where I have 19% VAT to a country which has 25% VAT (Sweden)
The OpenCart has to see where the buyer is from (by account registration and street code) and automatically add the Sweden Vat 25%.
This is for Psychically Persons.

I was looking for a tutorial on how to set all this countries / zones and their VAT numbers and could not find it.

Please help,

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your support,
Kind regards,
Mike

Post by OSWorX » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:36 pm

Basically all questions and answers until now are wrong.

VAT
What is it?
The "Value Added Tax"
As it says, an amount added to the product (net price) based on the type of the product (the result is the so called "gross" price).

An example - Germany
There are (as almost in every country of the EC) 2 base taxes (percent): 19 and 7 (from the 1. July 2020 until 31. December 2020 because of COVID-19 > 16 and 5).
Some countries do have a few more tax rates (usually less or between the standard and the reduced rate, sometimes lower).

Goods falling under the 19 % rule - and is the base regular tax (e.g.): all products where the reduced tax rate (7%) is not applicable.
Goods falling under the 7% rule (e.g.): Theaters, Museums, Cinemas, Newspapers, Bread, Butter, Milk, etc.

Whenever one of these products are sold (physically or via Internet), the correct tax value has to be added.
And that does no matter if your Business is located in Germany and your customer has his address in Munich, Vienna, Paris or Lissabon).
Why?
Because the first is inside Germany (tax has to be added in any case - no matter if Private or Business).
And the others are located inside the EC (European Community) where the tax rules apply to all members.
IF the Austrian, French, Spanish customer is a Business AND has a valid UID number > NO tax is added!

What if the customer is from outside the EC?
No tax is added - never.

Okay - everything clear until now?

Good, let us check the second case: Product is NOT physical, but a digital (like in my own case).
Here we have 3 possibilities:
1. customer is from same country (e.g. Germany)
2. customer is from another country - but inside EC (my business is registered in Germany, customer is from France)
3. customer is from outside the EC

1. tax (19%) is added in any case (no matter if private or business)
2.1 tax of the customers country is added > IF NO valid UID or no UID (does no matter if private or business)
2.2 customer has a VALID UID (therefore is business) > NO tax is added
3. customer (no matter if private or business) is outside the EC > NO tax is added

Which means: if you are selling digital products, only then the tax rate of customers country is added.
If product is a physical one, only the tax rate of my own country is added.

One final note: if digital products are sold, each country of the EC is also a member of the MOSS (to report the taxes).

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria