Post by head_dunce » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 am

Is there a way to give a category multiple parent categories?

Jim
Middle Caicos, Turks and Caicos Islands

Post by xxvirusxx » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 am

Yes. You can add that category in many parents categories.

My Extensions | OC 3.0.3.1, 3.0.2.0, 2.3.0.2 with bugs fixed | 2.3.0.2 Custom version | Buy me a beer or coffee

Post by head_dunce » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:19 am

Ok, so I'm trying to figure this out on a test space here http://carguygarage.org
The site is currently a Yahoo Store at https://www.carguygarage.com/

So for example want the category "Cabinets" to have the parent of "Storage" and the parent of "Accessories"
But when I go to Admin > Catalog > Categories
Edit the category "Cabinets" go to the "Data" tab, it only allows me to enter in one parent. I've tried to enter in multiple parents separated by a comma, but it only ever saves one.

Jim

Post by xxvirusxx » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:29 am

Sorry my mistake. I though on products :)

You can test this demo
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=18829

My Extensions | OC 3.0.3.1, 3.0.2.0, 2.3.0.2 with bugs fixed | 2.3.0.2 Custom version | Buy me a beer or coffee

Post by head_dunce » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks for the tip

Jim

Post by head_dunce » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:26 am

Ok, I tried to purchase that extension but got some message after purchase saying "Waiting for Proof of ID" so it wouldn't let me download anything. I sent in a support ticket, and I am waiting to hear back.

My problem with that extension is that I assume that will then break other things like file uploads for categories, or API calls (haven't used API calls yet, but will be once I get everything else sorted out so I can connect OC with my Perl order management system which does API called with Yahoo's cart.) So I fear the one OC change will then snowball into a bunch of custom changes.

So, I built on my other hack -
viewtopic.php?f=199&t=211255

And with this, you can add a subcategory to any parent via the comment tag -
/var/www/html/catalog/model/catalog/category.php

Code: Select all

public function getCategories($parent_id = 0) {
// ######################################################################################################
// ## START: New sort code that looks for a meta tag in the section description to sort the categories.
// ## Put HTML comment in the category description via the admin panel source view. Note you must unview
// ## source view for it to save in the admin panel. Add in this HTML comment with the way you want 
// ## the category sorted. If you add in a subcategory that is not technically a child of the parent
// ## it will include it on the category page anyway so subcategories can have more than one parent.
// ## <!-- name="sortorder" content="21536,16146,16133" -->
// ######################################################################################################

$description = '';
		$sortordersql = "select description from oc_category_description where category_id=".$parent_id." limit 1";
		$query = $this->db->query($sortordersql);
		foreach ($query->rows as $result) {
				$description = $result['description'];
		}
		$pattern = '/&lt;!--.*?name=&quot;sortorder&quot;.*?content=&quot;(.*)?&quot;.*?--&gt;/i';
		$matches = array();
		$sortorder = '';
		if ( preg_match($pattern, $description, $matches) ){
			$sortorder = $matches[1];
		}

$sqlquery = "SELECT * FROM " . DB_PREFIX . "category c LEFT JOIN " . DB_PREFIX . "category_description cd ON (c.category_id = cd.category_id) LEFT JOIN " . DB_PREFIX . "category_to_store c2s ON (c.category_id = c2s.category_id) ";

if(!empty($sortorder)){
			$sqlquery .= " WHERE ( c.parent_id = '".(int)$parent_id."' || c.category_id IN (".$sortorder.")   )";
		} else {
			$sqlquery .= " WHERE c.parent_id = '".(int)$parent_id."'";
		}

$sqlquery .= " AND cd.language_id = '" . (int)$this->config->get('config_language_id') . "' AND c2s.store_id = '" . (int)$this->config->get('config_store_id') . "'  AND c.status = '1' ";

if(!empty($sortorder)){
			$sqlquery .= " ORDER BY IF(FIELD(c.category_id,$sortorder)=0,1,0),FIELD(c.category_id,$sortorder)";
		} else {
			$sqlquery .= " ORDER BY c.sort_order, LCASE(cd.name)";
		}

$query = $this->db->query($sqlquery);

return $query->rows;
// ## END: New sort code that looks for a meta tag in the section description to sort the categories.
	}

Jim

Post by letxobnav » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:30 am

So I fear the one OC change will then snowball into a bunch of custom changes.
I fear that that is exactly what you are now doing.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan

Post by head_dunce » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:35 am

letxobnav wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:30 am
So I fear the one OC change will then snowball into a bunch of custom changes.
I fear that that is exactly what you are now doing.
Easy changes to comment tags. Simple stuff. You should see what I did to Yahoo's RTML :laugh: This is just front end stuff.

Jim

Post by letxobnav » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:02 am

well, we all know what happened to Yahoo..., now we know why...

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan

Post by head_dunce » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:45 am

letxobnav wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:02 am
well, we all know what happened to Yahoo..., now we know why...
Ha, funny guy :crazy: Happy Friday, have a good weekend. -- oh I just "fixed" the breadcrumbs too, will post the code later. Next up figure out the API end of what I need, read something about event triggers too, fun fun fun! But plans to snorkel and fish all weekend, see ya Monday!

Jim