Post by JackD » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:41 am

Hi All,
I am hosting OpenCart websites, mostly 2.x ones.
As I am getting familiar with version 3.x, I just want to know more about this storage folder moving outside the web directory, what pops up as an important security notfication at first OC setups.
As a sysadmin, I just simply don't get this security solution. I've never met something like this before using other engines.
Why is this important? And what are the exact permission requirements for the moved folder?
Can anyone explain these for me from a sysadmin point of view? I couldn't find any specific details in documentation.
???

Post by straightlight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:12 am

Requires domain permissions for Opencart to write its cache data when either using vendors, cache and extensions. Move your system/storage outside your public_html folder. Then, set recursive settings to the storage folder with CHMOD 0755. In your config.php and admin/config.php files, edit your DIR_STORAGE definition folder to its new destination as well as from your .htaccess file (if found in your .htaccess file as well).

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased counters are caused by posted redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

F. Rules:

- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200480
- viewtopic.php?f=176&t=200804

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by JackD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:43 am

If I have multiple Opencart 3.x sites hosted on my linux server, virtualhosts stored in /var/www/, should I move storage directories of all sites to different directories outside /var/www/{site}/, named diferently after the sites?
e.g.:
/var/www/site1/system/storage -> /var/www/site1_storage
/var/www/site2/system/storage -> /var/www/site2_storage
/var/www/site3/system/storage -> /var/www/site3_storage
straightlight wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:12 am
Requires domain permissions for Opencart to write its cache data when either using vendors, cache and extensions. Move your system/storage outside your public_html folder. Then, set recursive settings to the storage folder with CHMOD 0755. In your config.php and admin/config.php files, edit your DIR_STORAGE definition folder to its new destination as well as from your .htaccess file (if found in your .htaccess file as well).

Post by straightlight » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:55 am

Good question. :)

Each domain should use their own storage folder so to avoid cache conflict. Although, each config.php and admin/config.php files of each stores must also be configured accordingly as well as each .htaccess files from the OC root store path by remove the entire line where the system/storage is located.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased counters are caused by posted redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

F. Rules:

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by hobiesan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 am

I am installing Opencart for the first time, and am getting the pop-up window in the admin area telling me to move the storage directory. However, my pop-up window is incomplete. I've seen others post images of their pop-up window and there is a bottom section with a place to enter a path and a "Move" button. My pop-up window does not have this bottom section. And there is no scroll bar on the window to move it down. I would post an image, but I cannot seem to upload an image to this forum either. FWIW, I'm not a noob on computers, as I have been a engineer/developer for over 25 years.

I am running Chromium 64.0 browser on a Debian 9.3 linux system, and my opencart is hosted on Dreamhost. Adblock is turned off for my Opencart site.

I guess I can try moving the storage directory manually via an ssh login, and editing the appropriate config.php files. But I thought I'd mention this problem in case anyone else has also had this problem, and in case a Issue needed to be opened on Github.

Also, I downloaded the Opencart from Github, so I probably installed the latest code from the master branch. Maybe this is the issue?

Post by Johnathan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:44 am

NEVER install OpenCart from github. While it does contain bugfixes, it also usually has unfinished code, and you're likely going to run into issues if you use that. Always use the official versions found here:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=cms/download

The latest version 3.0.2.0 does have bugs, which you can look for fixes in the bugfix forum topic or on github, and then fix yourself. Hopefully one of these days we'll actually get an official 3.0.3.0 release that has the bugfixes in it...

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by straightlight » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:21 am

FWIW, I'm not a noob on computers, as I have been a engineer/developer for over 25 years.
Despite the un-relative years of experience since Opencart hasn't been created at that time, while the above is correct regarding the stable releases to be used rather than the dev versions, followed are instructions on how to resolve these issues with the security modal window when the automatic settings has not been selected but rather the manual option on PCI servers: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=201745#p713479

F. Rules:

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON