Post by Nodge » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:38 pm

New to Opencart and this is my first installation. I'm on V 3.0.3.2 as my server's latest version of PHP is 7.2 and it seems all later versions of Opencart require v 7.3. I have the shop all set up with a few products but I can't get Paypal to work at checkout. I followed a Youtube video on the installation of Opencart and it was suggested to use the Paypal Standard extension which I did. I tried a test purchase and it appeared to be successful. When I "Returned to Merchant" from the paypal payment page my shop said my order had been placed and that it had been successfully processed but it wasn't showing in "Orders" on my dashboard. I did find it in the "Missing Orders" section though. I then tried the Paypal Express extension instead and copied all of my API credentials direct from my Paypal account but when I do a test purchase I get an error message about a missing token or something. I don't know where to go from here so looking for help please.

Post by mikeinterserv » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Nodge wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:38 pm
New to Opencart and this is my first installation. I'm on V 3.0.3.2 as my server's latest version of PHP is 7.2 and it seems all later versions of Opencart require v 7.3. I have the shop all set up with a few products but I can't get Paypal to work at checkout. I followed a Youtube video on the installation of Opencart and it was suggested to use the Paypal Standard extension which I did. I tried a test purchase and it appeared to be successful. When I "Returned to Merchant" from the paypal payment page my shop said my order had been placed and that it had been successfully processed but it wasn't showing in "Orders" on my dashboard. I did find it in the "Missing Orders" section though. I then tried the Paypal Express extension instead and copied all of my API credentials direct from my Paypal account but when I do a test purchase I get an error message about a missing token or something. I don't know where to go from here so looking for help please.
Go back to paypal standard - it works
Set requirement for status IN PAYPAL MODULE as well as store for the orders.
Set paypal debugging to on and check the logs

Location - Wales

Post by ADD Creative » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:25 am

Also check your PayPal IPN history for errors.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api-b ... perations/

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Nodge » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:07 am

"Go back to paypal standard - it works"
Not for me, hence my post.

"Set requirement for status IN PAYPAL MODULE as well as store for the orders."
There isn't a Paypal module for Paypal Standard - only PayPal (Powered by Braintree) Button & PayPal Express Checkout Button. Can you explain more what you mean please?

"Set paypal debugging to on and check the logs"
Where do I do this please?

"Also check your PayPal IPN history for errors."
I don't appear to have IPN enabled so no history. If I try to enable it I'm asked for a Notification URL and I've no idea what that is.

As you may have gathered my knowledge is very limited so could you please word any replies accordingly.
Thanks
John

Post by mikeinterserv » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:48 am

Enable Paypal payments standard in OC Extensions > payments.
Disable the others.
Then follow the previous instructions given

Location - Wales

Post by mikeinterserv » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:51 am

Nodge wrote:
I followed a Youtube video on the installation of Opencart and it was suggested to use the Paypal Standard extension which I did.

There isn't a Paypal module for Paypal Standard - only PayPal (Powered by Braintree) Button & PayPal Express Checkout Button.
You contradict yourself also
It exists for you or does not -

Location - Wales

Post by Gergely » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:09 am

Hi Nodge,

The built in extensions that ship with opencart by default are being phased out and are no longer updated / supported. PayPal is also deprecating some of their older apis, so you'd be better off using a different solution from the Marketplace. We currently use the PayPal Commerce Platform, and have so far had a great experience with their support team, I recommend you give that a try!

Hope this helps,
Gergely

Post by ADD Creative » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:16 am

Nodge wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:07 am
I don't appear to have IPN enabled so no history. If I try to enable it I'm asked for a Notification URL and I've no idea what that is.
For PayPal Standard you need IPN enabled, otherwise PayPal can't tell OpenCart the payment has been made. Which is why the orders get stuck in missing orders. The Notification URL is passed by the payment extension, so try using just your site address.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Post by Nodge » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:06 am

mikeinterserv wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:51 am
Nodge wrote:
I followed a Youtube video on the installation of Opencart and it was suggested to use the Paypal Standard extension which I did.

There isn't a Paypal module for Paypal Standard - only PayPal (Powered by Braintree) Button & PayPal Express Checkout Button.
You contradict yourself also
It exists for you or does not -
No, there are Paypal extensions under Extensions/Payments and there are Paypal modules under Extensions/Modules which are different things.

Post by Nodge » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:19 am

ADD Creative wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:16 am
Nodge wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:07 am
For PayPal Standard you need IPN enabled, otherwise PayPal can't tell OpenCart the payment has been made. Which is why the orders get stuck in missing orders. The Notification URL is passed by the payment extension, so try using just your site address.
Thanks but not sure if this is correct. I see IPN is mentioned in the Paypal Express extension but says it's only required for subscriptions. A URL is given in the Express settings so I have used that and enabled IPN in Paypal regardless. Paypal Express still didn't work as I still got the error message about a missing token or something. I do appear to have solved the problem though. I found that under Extensions/Extensions/Modules the 2nd to last one is "Store". This wasn't enabled - it wasn't even installed so I installed it and set Admin Users Only to No and Status to Enabled and now I'm receiving orders via Paypal Standard so I think I'm there now. If this module is required for the shop to work why on earth isn't it installed and enabled by default?

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:01 am

Nodge wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:19 am
Thanks but not sure if this is correct. I see IPN is mentioned in the Paypal Express extension but says it's only required for subscriptions. A URL is given in the Express settings so I have used that and enabled IPN in Paypal regardless. Paypal Express still didn't work as I still got the error message about a missing token or something. I do appear to have solved the problem though. I found that under Extensions/Extensions/Modules the 2nd to last one is "Store". This wasn't enabled - it wasn't even installed so I installed it and set Admin Users Only to No and Status to Enabled and now I'm receiving orders via Paypal Standard so I think I'm there now. If this module is required for the shop to work why on earth isn't it installed and enabled by default?
The PayPal Express module has a few bugs in 3.x. Certain configurations will not work at all, so I am not surprised it did't work.

You don't need the store module. It was probably a coincidence that thing started working when you enabled it.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Post by Nodge » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:51 pm

ADD Creative wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:01 am

You don't need the store module. It was probably a coincidence that thing started working when you enabled it.
Ok, thanks. Maybe it was the IPN thing that fixed Paypal Standard then. So what exactly does the store module do then?

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:23 pm

Nodge wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:51 pm
Ok, thanks. Maybe it was the IPN thing that fixed Paypal Standard then. So what exactly does the store module do then?
It just provides a module with a list of your stores that you can place on a page like any other module. It's meant for Multi-Store setups.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Post by rob.willshire » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:01 am

Hi,
When did you install the PayPal Commerce Platform? and what version of opencart are you running? We cant seem to get it to work to the pont we gave up.

Rob
Gergely wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:09 am
Hi Nodge,

The built in extensions that ship with opencart by default are being phased out and are no longer updated / supported. PayPal is also deprecating some of their older apis, so you'd be better off using a different solution from the Marketplace. We currently use the PayPal Commerce Platform, and have so far had a great experience with their support team, I recommend you give that a try!

Hope this helps,
Gergely

Post by Gergely » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:56 pm

Hi rob.willshire,

PPCP - 1.3.1
OC - 3.0.2.0
That is our longest running combo, and hasn't had a single issue for more than 6 months now.
We were off to a rocky start though, started from PPCP 1.1.5 and it had a number of bugs and issues. The reason I tend to recommend this integration is that the support we have received has been exceptional. If this is not your experience please let me know, so I can update my views on the matter!
rob.willshire wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:01 am
Hi,
When did you install the PayPal Commerce Platform? and what version of opencart are you running? We cant seem to get it to work to the pont we gave up.

Rob