Post by webstudent1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 am

I am looking for a module to support the following api. GMAIL is making smtp use obsolete and opencart will fail to send emails on google SSL 587 if this is not updated prior to the discontinuation date.

https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/guides

Post by straightlight » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 am

While the OC version has not been posted, but has been posted prior under the OC v3.x section, and this request is about an extension, this topic has now been moved to the extensions support section of the forum.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:43 am

And how exactly is it related to OpenCart? Especially to GMail API.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:46 am

thekrotek wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:43 am
And how exactly is it related to OpenCart? Especially to GMail API.
Since the OP user is providing an API documentation, he is requesting an extension to be built if there isn't an extension on the Marketplace that can't already provide the needs. However, if no extensions has been developed already for this, a new service request in the Commercial Support section of the forum can be created in order to get this task done as a custom job.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:54 am

straightlight wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:46 am
Since the OP user is providing an API documentation, he is requesting an extension to be built if there isn't an extension on the Marketplace that can't already provide the needs. However, if no extensions has been developed already for this, a new service request in the Commercial Support section of the forum can be created in order to get this task done as a custom job.
Please, read his request. It's quite confusing and mostly tells that OP is not really understands the issue. This is why I asked.

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:30 am

The request has been read and understood. Which is why, the above solution has already been provided to the OP user.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48 am

straightlight wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:30 am
The request has been read and understood. Which is why, the above solution has already been provided to the OP user.
I don't think you really did understood the request, since port 587 is just a SMTP port to send emails using Google servers. It has NOT much to do with using GMail API. So, please, read again and assume that your average OP is NOT a coder.

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:54 am

thekrotek wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48 am
straightlight wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:30 am
I don't thing you really did understood the request, since port 587 is just a SMTP port to send emails using Google servers. It has NOT much to do with using GMail API. So, please, read again and assume that your average OP is NOT a coder.
There is nowhere to be said where it was mentioned that the OP was a coder on my behalf nor from anyone else, so far. However, what has also been mentioned by the OP is the following:
if this is not updated prior to the discontinuation date.
Which means, at this time, an extension would be needed to resolved this issue based on the documentation that's been provided. These days, OC operates with vendors scripts from Github rather than library files which is also mentioned from the provided URL that a vendor's package is being used while the port number is only one of the issues being addressed as opposed to the required changes from the provided API documentation. If you take the time to read the provided API documentation, provided by the OP user in the mean time, you'll see other theories than a simple port adjustment that needs to be tweaked or migrated with the updated Gmail API version.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:01 am

I don't think you really understand the logic behind the initial post. The guy just mixed up two different things: SMTP settings and GMail API. OpenCart has nothing to do with GMail API. This is how it looks from his request and yet you keep arguing. Geez.

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:24 am

thekrotek wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:01 am
I don't think you really understand the logic behind the initial post. The guy just mixed up two different things: SMTP settings and GMail API. OpenCart has nothing to do with GMail API. This is how it looks from his request and yet you keep arguing. Geez.
Have it your way. The reality is that Gmail API requires to be developed as an extension as I have already addressed it on the first reply initially.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by letxobnav » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:13 am

GMAIL is making smtp use obsolete
nonsense
and opencart will fail to send emails on google SSL 587
also nonsense

and both have no relation with GMail API whatsoever.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by webstudent1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 am

Hi guys,
Well google has told me while on the phone with my BUSINESS GAPPS ACCOUNT they plan to be disabling SMTP services for gmail in 2020 and if I read every service update I should know that.

So this doens't technically break opencart unless its used with gmail. I consider if my store can not send mail for it to be broken.

Wordpress and other platforms have already had plugins to use the API for sending mail. Its both in theory more secure.
Maybe take a look at what other platforms are going to support GMAIL
https://wpforms.com/how-to-securely-sen ... mail-smtp/

If you want to ignore the fact that a huge number of stores USE gmail or gAPPS for outgoing mail thats ok.
..... but I think its important to realize that we need to support new methods of sending mail so if someone writes a plugin i'll but it because i don't want to switch mail accounts and I also don't want my store to break.

I already know how to get the store to connect to gmail by allowing a new connection.

Post by letxobnav » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:34 am

For GSuite accounts smtp authentication will only be possible using OAuth instead of using id and password.
Smtp is not made obsolete, the authentication requirement is changed for those accounts.
Starting February 15, 2021, GSuite accounts will only allow access to apps using OAuth
June 15, 2020 - Users who try to connect to an LSA (non-oauth) for the first time will no longer be able to do so.
So you would have to add OAuth support to the OC smtp class or use the latest phpmailer class which already supports this if you use GSuite.

Normal Gmail users can still use Gmail as their mail gateway on tls and ssl.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by webstudent1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:17 pm

letxobnav wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:34 am
For GSuite accounts smtp authentication will only be possible using OAuth instead of using id and password.
Smtp is not made obsolete, the authentication requirement is changed for those accounts.
Starting February 15, 2021, GSuite accounts will only allow access to apps using OAuth
June 15, 2020 - Users who try to connect to an LSA (non-oauth) for the first time will no longer be able to do so.
So you would have to add OAuth support to the OC smtp class or use the latest phpmailer class which already supports this if you use GSuite.

Normal Gmail users can still use Gmail as their mail gateway on tls and ssl.
AWESOME, SO I GUESS MY SITES SHOULDN"T BREAK!

Post by straightlight » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Please, do not use constant CAPS on the forum.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON