Post by Nordikota » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Has anyone seen an extension that might allow the same product in multiple categories, but with the product images tailored to each category?
I don't want to re-create the 1000's of products multiple times just to have different images per category.

Post by straightlight » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Not sure what this request is about. By using the already implemented feature of copy product from the admin products page, the images should also be copied accordingly. Then, you can re-assigned those copied products to other categories as many as you want ...

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Johnathan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:31 pm

I think he doesn't want to duplicate products though, because he has so many.

If that's true, I haven't ever seen an extension to do this, but there might be one in the opencart.com marketplace. Take a look there, and if you can't find anything, you'll probably have to hire someone to write a custom modification for you. For example, they could change the first product image so it shows up on the lowest category_id, the second product image so it shows up on the second-lowest category_id, etc. That seems like it wouldn't be too difficult.

If you need to find a developer, you should post a request in the OpenCart "Commercial Support" forum, which is checked by a number of OpenCart developers. You can also try checking out the OpenCart "Partners" area.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Nordikota » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Exactly right. I have >1,000 products that need to have a product image that is specific to the category they are in. Only the image is different, the description, models, pricing & discounts are all the same. Hence the question as I don't want to duplicate a product into multiple areas just to change the associated image.

Post by straightlight » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Nordikota wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 pm
Exactly right. I have >1,000 products that need to have a product image that is specific to the category they are in. Only the image is different, the description, models, pricing & discounts are all the same. Hence the question as I don't want to duplicate a product into multiple areas just to change the associated image.
No problem. However, since you are looking for image specifics among 1000 products or higher to be re-assigned, how do you plan to generically re-assign the right images to those categories specifically since moving those images by preferences may not be quite relative to the lower categories? ...

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Nordikota » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Honestly. No clue ??? I was hoping that some bright spark somewhere had created a magical extension that would solve the problem for me & save me having to create so many duplicate products :-\

Post by straightlight » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:17 pm

Logically, if each images needs to be assigned to their proper categories, without Opencart to know which categories in advanced those images needs to be assigned prior, you'd still need to assign those images one-by-one or by a group of copied images that goes to the same categories which, even there, category images have no extra images table like the product image table; they rather remain in the category table as a unique image for each category.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Nordikota » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:33 am

Good points. So it seems the simplest way is going to be duplicating products and changing the images :-\

Post by straightlight » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:48 am

Nordikota wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:33 am
Good points. So it seems the simplest way is going to be duplicating products and changing the images :-\
Either that or to regroup all images that contains the identical file names among different products but, even there, you'd need to re-assign the images one-by-one on the affected products.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON