Post by pipoy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi,

I noticed that using SMTP sends out slower than having opencart's default hosting as mail server.
Which I guess normal.

The question is, Can I close my browser while opencart send mails to 1000+ customers?

Post by thekrotek » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Well, when you close the browser, you interrupt the script, right? To send mails on the background, I'd recommend you to use Order & Cart Reminders extension. It sends emails automatically via cron. Using default OpenCart mailing page isn't the best idea, especially, if you tend to regularly send emails to your customers.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by paulfeakins » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:07 pm

thekrotek wrote:Well, when you close the browser, you interrupt the script, right?
Actually I don't believe that is the case.

When you call a page over HTTP(S), the web server sends the request to PHP which then compiles and processes the script. As far as I know, when you navigate away from the page, the browser doesn't send anything. So, sure it won't receive the output of the script but as far as I know the script will continue to run?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Johnathan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Paul is right. The server should continue to process requests (like sending e-mails, or generating cache files) even if the browser window is closed.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by pipoy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 am

I want to bump this old thread of mine and revisit my question.
Because now that I noticed, I think paul and jonathan is explaining a different thing.

I was pertaining on sending email blasts to all of my users using Marketing > Mail.

I use mailchimp to send newsletters. But you know it is not free on certain quantity of users.
So I'd rather use my own server to send to all customers via mailgun SMTP

2 years after, I have gained a few thousands customers. About every quarter, I send emails to my customers.

Rarely I use this because I know that:

1. Using SMTP may take about 2-3 hours to email all of my customers
2. When I close browser, sending emails stops - hence this thread - which I conclude that this do not run in background
3. Suddenly it stops after sending at half - This is when I use SMTP
Dont know why