Post by Krammig » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:47 pm

I am a coder. ASP MSSQL B and so on.

I have used Wordpress and found it decent particularly Visual Composer in setting up pages.

For the life of me I just cannot work out how to build/design a page as one would in Wordpress - drag and drop.

Are there any plugins / extensions that pretty much do what Visual Composer does for Wordpress (drag and drop), or could some kind soul direct me to something that explains how exactly I build dynamically build additional pages for Opencart.

cheers

New member

Posts

Joined
Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by i2Paq » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:04 pm

What kind of page are you trying to create?

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by fido-x » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Unlike Wordpress and other content management systems (including other shopping carts), OpenCart actually uses a proper MVC framework. To be precise, it uses an MVC+L framework (the "L" is for language).

The "Model" provides the interaction with the database, the "Language" contains any static language strings, the "Controller" brings all the data retrieved from the database and language files together and presents it to the "Viewer" or template file (the html output).

So, to create a single page in OC, you need at least three files, the Controller, the Language file (containing any static text for the page) and the template file (View). If you need to extract any information from the database, you will also need the Model.

Wordpress (and others) put all of this into a single file - a very inefficient means of doing things in my opinion.

Image
Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:09 am
Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by Krammig » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:59 pm

i2Paq wrote:What kind of page are you trying to create?
Thanks for the reply i2Paq. At this stage it is just a static page that contains a couple of tables which contains various sizes and measurement conversions.

I was wanting this to appear in the top menu, much like an About page might and when shown would look like a normal page (header and footer etc) but with the main section showing the tables.

I tried Catalog > Information and creating a new item there but I guess that is an Information block that sits don in the Footer area.

I also tried System > Design > Layouts and tried to create a new layout. Here it is asking me to add in Modules but all I see really is a list of PAV modules, nothing much here seems to help me achieve what I am after.

thanks

New member

Posts

Joined
Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by Krammig » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:02 pm

fido-x wrote:Unlike Wordpress and other content management systems (including other shopping carts), OpenCart actually uses a proper MVC framework. To be precise, it uses an MVC+L framework (the "L" is for language).

The "Model" provides the interaction with the database, the "Language" contains any static language strings, the "Controller" brings all the data retrieved from the database and language files together and presents it to the "Viewer" or template file (the html output).

So, to create a single page in OC, you need at least three files, the Controller, the Language file (containing any static text for the page) and the template file (View). If you need to extract any information from the database, you will also need the Model.

Wordpress (and others) put all of this into a single file - a very inefficient means of doing things in my opinion.
Likewise thanks for the feedback fido-x that was very helpful in better understanding how this all hangs together. I will need that when I move to the next stage of displaying information.

cheers

New member

Posts

Joined
Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by Burt65 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:07 pm

fido-x wrote: Wordpress (and others) put all of this into a single file - a very inefficient means of doing things in my opinion.
Don't get me start with Wordpress...

I had to install a plugin to fix the plugin that activate the plugin so to have Smilies on a blog.... :laugh:

Wordpress is great, if you are a person extremely challenged in computers...

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by fido-x » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:08 pm

Krammig wrote:I tried Catalog > Information and creating a new item there but I guess that is an Information block that sits don in the Footer area.
That would work. It doesn't create an information "block" in the footer. If added to the footer it will appear as a link to the page that you create in "Catalog->Information".

Image
Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:09 am
Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by Krammig » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:58 pm

Burt65 wrote:
fido-x wrote: Wordpress (and others) put all of this into a single file - a very inefficient means of doing things in my opinion.
Don't get me start with Wordpress...

I had to install a plugin to fix the plugin that activate the plugin so to have Smilies on a blog.... :laugh:

Wordpress is great, if you are a person extremely challenged in computers...

Yep I am with you on that :)

New member

Posts

Joined
Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by Krammig » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:08 pm

fido-x wrote:
Krammig wrote:I tried Catalog > Information and creating a new item there but I guess that is an Information block that sits don in the Footer area.
That would work. It doesn't create an information "block" in the footer. If added to the footer it will appear as a link to the page that you create in "Catalog->Information".
Thanks for the help and feedback on that fido-x

New member

Posts

Joined
Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by straightlight » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:36 pm

fido-x wrote:If you need to extract any information from the database, you will also need the Model.
That analogy used to be true but no longer is. Since the integration of the PDO extension into Opencart, the Model is no longer a priority point to extract any information from the database. The PDO library can be used as stand-alone.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer / Opencart Tester


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by Krammig » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:15 am

straightlight wrote:
fido-x wrote:If you need to extract any information from the database, you will also need the Model.
That analogy used to be true but no longer is. Since the integration of the PDO extension into Opencart, the Model is no longer a priority point to extract any information from the database. The PDO library can be used as stand-alone.
Thank you for that feedback straightlight. cheers.

New member

Posts

Joined
Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests