Post by sammybotz » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:33 am

sorry im new so its very confusing to me.

store is located in new york. store ships to all states only in the usa.
i want to tax only people living in new york. all the other states do not get taxed.

not sure if i even need to setup geozones or how many of them. just could use a little help please.

thank you

Post by silkcamel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:46 am

I'm new too. not sure I have the right answer, but I'll log in admin and go to

---system-->> localization ---> taxes ---> taxes classes

choose "based on" to "payment address" instead of "shipping address"

Post by sammybotz » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:54 am

thank you for trying but does not work.

does anybody know how to get this working properly?

thank you

Post by AlexDW » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:52 am

Try next:

1. System-Localisaion-GeoZones add new geozone, as example:
geozone name: New York
description: New York geozone
zone: New York

and save

2. System-Localisaion-Taxes-Tax rates add new rate, as example:
Tax Name: New York taxes
Tax Rate: 10
Type: fixed amount
Geo Zone: New York

and save

3. System-Localisaion-Taxes-Tax classes, open Taxable Goods, add rule:
Tax Rate: New York taxes
Based On: Shipping Address

and save

After, try to create orders in storefront and select address with New York and without

Useful Opencart extensions

Post by sammybotz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Thank you Alex,

I set it up the way you described and now when I try a city not in new york I get the below response:

111285: The postal code 90005 is invalid for NY United States.

Thank you

Post by Burt65 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:49 pm

sammybotz wrote:Thank you Alex,

I set it up the way you described and now when I try a city not in new york I get the below response:

111285: The postal code 90005 is invalid for NY United States.

Thank you
You will need to setup two geozone. One for New York and another one for the rest of the US if you wish to have two separate tax zone.

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by frishops » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:05 pm

I am not sure if you got the option of the rest of USA, if you do, that's great, if you don't, then you have to set up for each state with 0 tax rate.

Your Local Store.
http://www.frishops.ca
http://www.frishops.cn

Location - Quebec, Canada

Post by Burt65 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:12 pm

frishops wrote:I am not sure if you got the option of the rest of USA, if you do, that's great, if you don't, then you have to set up for each state with 0 tax rate.
Trust me. They are all there. ;D You select United State in the Geozone then on the right you will see the individual state available for selection. You only need to set two tax zone not one for each state like you mentioned.

Zone 1 New York

Zone 2 United state =Select all the other state.

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by sammybotz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:36 pm

I am sorry, I am confused.

The customer wants her store to charge tax just if her online customers live in new york and not charge tax for all other states. She wants to ship only via UPS and depending on weight and where they live they get charged UPS shipping accordingly. Can someone setup a step by step for this as I'm sure it's a popular configuration.

thank you very much

Post by Burt65 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:45 pm

sammybotz wrote:I am sorry, I am confused.

The customer wants her store to charge tax just if her online customers live in new york and not charge tax for all other states. She wants to ship only via UPS and depending on weight and where they live they get charged UPS shipping accordingly. Can someone setup a step by step for this as I'm sure it's a popular configuration.

thank you very much
Right. Without getting into the legality of what you are trying to do with the Tax Geozone, you need to setup a Geozone for every zone you wish to have separate:

1)Taxes
2)Delivery Cost
3)Product Access

and so forth... So once you have setup the Geozone correctly, then you can choose such zone for your shipping requirement, for your payment requirements and so forth...

best thing for you would be to spend some time reading the Documentation that does show you a lot of what you need to know about OC.

Cheers

Location - Oz

Post by sammybotz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Okay I got it working but now when I try and checkout from california it wants to charge me tax. please advise how i can make it only charge tax for new york residents.

thank you very much

Post by Burt65 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:48 pm

sammybotz wrote:Okay I got it working but now when I try and checkout from california it wants to charge me tax. please advise how i can make it only charge tax for new york residents.

thank you very much
Which geozone did you select for that particular tax? As I said you should have two taxes setup.

Tax 1 = $whatever for New York for your Geozone 1

Tax 2 = $0.00 for the rest of the US (that is your Geozone 2)

Location - Oz

Post by sammybotz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:21 pm

I have a step by step of what I did below. Maybe you can tell me what to tweak to get this functioning properly. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Geozones:
2 created:
one for new york and choose "new york" in the zone field
one for united states > in the zone field i leave on "please select" to hopefully get all zones

tax classes:
tax rate "all other states" and based on "shipping address"
another tax rate is setup for "new york tax" and based on "shipping address"

tax rates:
2 created
all other states for 0.00
and new york for 8.75%

Now if I try and checkout with a new york shipping address all works fine. I see the shipping and tax rates. But When I choose a shipping address from california I get this error:
Warning: No Shipping options are available. Please contact us for assistance!

Sorry gentlemen, a little more help please

Post by Burt65 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Geozones:
2 created:
one for new york and choose "new york" in the zone field
one for united states > in the zone field i leave on "please select" to hopefully get all zones
That is a problem as you are getting all the US zone but you are also getting again New York as well...

Zone 1 New York

Zone 2 US (Then add all the other state but leave out New York) :D Hey, it was your idea to charge only people in one state...

As far as the delivery to California, I remember reading something somewhere. Could be missing or a misspelling or something along those line... I'll see if I can find the post...

EDIT:

I just check and California works fine in Opencart 2.1.0.2. It must be something wrong with your setting then. Just double check your Shipping option again after you have fix the geozone...

Location - Oz

Post by sammybotz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:42 pm

So your saying I have to setup 49 states to get it to work like the customer wants.

I thought you only had to charge sales tax from the online customers who reside in the same state as your business?

Please advise and thank you

Post by Burt65 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:51 pm

sammybotz wrote:So your saying I have to setup 49 states to get it to work like the customer wants.

I thought you only had to charge sales tax from the online customers who reside in the same state as your business?

Please advise and thank you
Well for each geozone in the world that you wish to have different settings like taxes, you will have to make a geozone for it. I don't know what the legislation in the US for tax purposes are but each country in the world is different. You may want to do some reading regarding your tax requirements before wasting time setting up something that you may don't need to do. But if you do need two separate taxes for the US then you will have to do as mentioned above.

Location - Oz