Post by conticreative » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:32 am

I am just building my first OpenCart (2.x) website, but I have a pretty vast experience with other Open Source carts, from OScommerce, to Virtuemart, Zen Cart, Hikashop and more.

I have been unable to find a way to manipulate products and categories with a CSV import/export feature and I discovered that I have to install an add on to accomplish that, unless I missed something important. The only import/Export I was able to find saves in Sql format and while I could work with it, my client won't be able to.

I have been reading both the offering on the extension directory and the comments/ratings. So far I am unimpressed by what I have seen, each extension seems to be missing some key features I need, but it's possible I have missed a good one.

Could someone with more experience let me know what the best extension for import/export could be?

I need the following:
1) Import/export of products and categories
2) Ability to export a subset and import same subset with my changes overriding the existing data
3) I also want to be able to manage variants (I forgot what you guys call them, Size, color, material, etc.) and be able to create the variants by importing new products with the variants already specified.

In addition, and I realize this may not be a feature of the import/export extension, I need to be able to have these variants generate a custom ID in the SKU of the product. But maybe that should be the subject of a separate post.

Thank you very much for your help.