Post by LiamMcArthur » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:34 am

Hey people,

Here's my problem. I'm running the latest version of OpenCart and my client requires each product to have different delivery options, for example:

1)
Royal Mail 1st Class (£1.60)

2)
Royal Mail 1st Class (Signed For) (£3.00)

3)
Royal Mail 1st Class (£2.00)

Each product will only have one shipping method (either 1st class or 1st class signed for) - but the price will change depending on the item. Is there any free way of doing this? I would have thought this would have been a pretty basic thing for an eCommerce package. If not, my alternative way will be to set these up as product options, but then the problem I have is when the user checksout, it'll tell them their delivery is free (after they've just chosen their delivery at cost on the previous stage) - which could confuse people.

Thanks,

Liam

Post by onlinemarketer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:35 am

Have you tried setting the shipping options - as there is an entire section with lots of shipping options and calculations.

Post by LiamMcArthur » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:11 pm

The problem with the shipping options that are already there is that they're set for every single product on the website once applied, whereas I only need some shipping options to be available for certain products.

Post by woody2k4 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:32 am

i can't even get a flat rate set up

Post by fido-x » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:00 am

OpenCart 2 -> General Support -> Shipping Prices Per Product

I'll start with this:
LiamMcArthur wrote: I would have thought this would have been a pretty basic thing for an eCommerce package.
Standard practice is to apply shipping to the order, not to the product. And, I would think this would be the standard practice for any business, whether online or not.

Now, back to your "problem":
LiamMcArthur wrote: Here's my problem. I'm running the latest version of OpenCart and my client requires each product to have different delivery options, for example:

1)
Royal Mail 1st Class (£1.60)

2)
Royal Mail 1st Class (Signed For) (£3.00)

3)
Royal Mail 1st Class (£2.00)
While it might be possible to modify the product form to link a specific shipping method to that product, it is certainly not practical. For example:
  • Product A uses shipping method 1
    Product B uses shipping method 2
    Produce C uses shipping method 3
The customer wants to purchase products B and C and adds these products to their shopping cart. Since shipping is normally applied to the order (not the product), when the customer gets to the checkout page, they will be presented with two different shipping methods to choose from. Since only one shipping method can be applied to the order, the customer will choose the one that is suitable for them.

If the shipping method is linked to the product the way you would like, then you would have to inform your customers that they can't buy products B and C in the same order, but have to make separate purchases, which could result in extra costs to the customer (e.g. fees and charges on their credit card usage). This inconvenience to the customer may well result in a loss of business to you. Is that what you want?

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia