Post by Selective555 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:31 am

I was typing meta tag key words in when I found that saving it removed the last ones, and only allows so many characters to be saved.

Here is the page with the form.

Code: Select all

/admin/view/template/catalog/information_form.tpl
This is the code that has a character limit.

<div class="form-group">
                    <label class="col-sm-2 control-label" for="input-meta-keyword<?php echo $language['language_id']; ?>"><?php echo $entry_meta_keyword; ?></label>
                    <div class="col-sm-10">
                      <textarea name="information_description[<?php echo $language['language_id']; ?>][meta_keyword]" rows="5" placeholder="<?php echo $entry_meta_keyword; ?>" id="input-meta-keyword<?php echo $language['language_id']; ?>" class="form-control"><?php echo isset($information_description[$language['language_id']]) ? $information_description[$language['language_id']]['meta_keyword'] : ''; ?></textarea>
I can't find the script though that is limiting the characters to be saved.

Where can I change or remove the character limit for this text field?

I created a MOD, take a look at it ---> Latest News/Messages Scroll Across Top Of Shop (MOD)

Post by Selective555 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:28 am

There is no "Max", "Length", or "Maxlength" anywhere at all on the page, but those would only limit the characters typed into the text fields and not how many were being saved into them, so how do I change or remove the character limit on what can be saved in them?

I created a MOD, take a look at it ---> Latest News/Messages Scroll Across Top Of Shop (MOD)

Post by Selective555 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:38 am

It is only allowing EXACTLY 257 Characters!!!

This is odd because the form shows 5 rows in the text field, yet 257 Characters is only 2 and a half rows! So clearly this was never intended to be limited.

Could this be automatic?

Is there still a way to change or remove the character limitation of how many characters can be saved in the text field?

Post by Selective555 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:04 am

When I inspect the script on the form page, I get this.

<textarea name="information_description[1][meta_keyword]" rows="5" placeholder="Meta Tag Keywords" id="input-meta-keyword1" class="form-control"></textarea>
Yet when I search through my script file pages, I cannot locate where any of the Meta Tags are in the English files, or where any Meta Tags are in the database!

Where are they? Perhaps if I find them, that might be where I need to make the change.

Post by OpenCartGreen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:46 am

Did you find where to change the Meta Tags limit? I can't find where either. Tks

Post by sculptex » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Its set in database table, varchar(255)

ImageImage

Location - UK

Post by thekrotek » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Removing limits for meta fields is actually pointless. As far as I remember, it is commonly recommended to NOT exceed a limit around 260 characters in meta description. As for meta keywords, they're basically ignored by every search engine nowadays.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by OpenCartGreen » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:01 am

Can anyone tell me where to change the Meta Tag Description character limits?

Post by OpenCartGreen » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:02 am

sculptex wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm
Its set in database table, varchar(255)
Can you be more specific please? Where do I find this database? What is it called? Path? Tks

Post by thekrotek » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Here you go:

"Meta descriptions can be any length, but search engines generally truncate snippets longer than 160 characters. It is best to keep meta descriptions long enough that they're sufficiently descriptive, but shorter than that 160-character limit."

https://moz.com/learn/seo/meta-description

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member