Post by st_man » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:21 am

I have xampp and opencart installed and working. I have OC files with my store on them now at my service provider. How do I transfer existing OC files to local machine so I can work offline then re-upload.

I know the config files will be a problem but I was wondering if I can not download them and it all work? What else can't or must be downloaded?

Thanks for your help.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I can transfer files, but I need to know which files I can transfer and which I can't without missing up the configuration. Such as , the config files from the net have urls and db info that will not work on the local machine. If I download those into my opencart folder under xampp, nothing will work.
Last edited by st_man on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Selective555 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:44 am

The easiest way to upload files is by
https://filezilla-project.org

Post by dabomb59404 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:00 am

Selective555 wrote:The easiest way to upload files is by
https://filezilla-project.org
Obviously did not read what was asked. :choke:
st_man wrote:I have xampp and opencart installed and working. I have OC files with my store on them now at my service provider. How do I transfer existing OC files to local machine so I can work offline then re-upload.

I know the config files will be a problem but I was wondering if I can not download them and it all work? What else can't or must be downloaded?

Thanks for your help.
To have your hosted OC installation installed on a local server make sure the versions of OpenCart are the same version on your host and local server. Export your OC database from your host and download all the files from your OC installation there. Remove all your files from your local OC installation except for the config.php and admin/config.php files. Empty your local installation database but don't remove it. Copy all the files from your hosted installation that you downloaded into your local installation except for both of the config.php files. Import your hosted database into your empty local database. Done.

Post by st_man » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks!
I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Post by st_man » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Well I tried for 3 days but can't do it. Best I got was the store with most of the formatting lost and the products list not showing up on the categories page.
There was one glich during the dB import but I don't even remember the details. Looked inside the db and the information seems to be there.
Admin login will not work either though I know I am entering it right.

Any suggestions?

Post by dabomb59404 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:43 pm

Don't know what to suggest as I have done many local installs from hosts and never once had a problem with any of them following my instructions. What version of OC and are both OC versions the exact same versions? Also what was the db import glitch? Importing a database into an empty one you shouldn't have any glitches. Maybe your files got corrupted on downloading them or they where not complete. Use FileZilla to download them from your host.

Post by st_man » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:33 am

Tried it again this morning and it worked!!!
Only thing I did was to drop the db and re-create it. Maybe corrupted?
Now if I want to upload changes do I just transfer files and import db from my local machine into server? No zip needed?
Thanks for your help.

Post by dabomb59404 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:20 am

Depends on what changes you do. If you don't change anything concerning the database and only do file changes then just upload the files. If you change anything concerning the database then yes you will need to import the changes made.