Post by paulvonw » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi. I'm new to Opencart and to setting up web sites generally, so I'm on a steep learning curve.
I have two questions I hope someone can answer for me.

1. I know Opencart is for listing items for sale. However, is it possible to create "article" pages, like in Joomla, where I can insert information about the Opencart site, its contents, its modus operandi, etc? If so, how do I create these pages, and list them in the right sidebar under the Main Menu in their own module called "Articles"? What module position would I use?

2. How do I add a hyperlink to the "Submit" button on the Registration form to take newly registering users to my payment gateway, if I decide to charge a small registration fee?

Please give detailed answers. Don't assume that I know something, because I probably don't! Otherwise, if you have links to specific answers in tutorials for beginners like me, please insert them in your reply. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Paul.

Post by Selective555 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 pm

I just took a look at Joomla, and that's for the pros that invent and develop software from scratch. Unless you are a rocket scientist, I don't think you should be looking at stuff like Joomla.

How much experience do you have with web design? What software, scripts, and web sites have you used so far?

The easiest thing to learn and most important knowledge to have with basic web development, is HTML. It's a script language used to create how pages look on the web and also on portable devices. Once you know HTML very well, you'll be able to look at a page full of HTML text, and just from looking at the text, you'll be able to see what the page would look like in how it appears on the web.

Post by OSWorX » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:05 am

Basically you cannot compare Joomla & OpenCart 1:1

Joomla is a CMS, mainly for text articles.
There are several solutions you can add a shopping software into.
Even OpenCart - while I highly recommend NOT to use such solutions unless you plan to create at least each day 1 text article, because every of them is manipulating OpenCarts core for a better or worther experience (more worth).

OpenCart's focus is to present products to sell.
Adding text articles like you want cannot be done with the standard installation (or not easy to be honest).
But there are several extension which allow you to add such text articles, just go to http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... /extension and search for 'blog' (for example).

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by GoldenTongs » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:36 pm

you can get a news or blog extension (both are free), you then place that where you want in layout section.

http://Lilphones.com

Post by garuda » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:32 am

In addition to using a blog or news extension, you can add basic pages with text and images using with OpenCart's default "Information" pages: http://docs.opencart.com/information.