Post by cturbo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 am

Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade to the lastest version from my current 1.4.9.3 version. as a lot of extensions only work on the later version and not 1.4.9.3

I dont think my website is a clean install, as the developer installed live chat, custom banners etc - in fact, how do I determine whether my website is a clean install or not?

website is www.just-performance.co.uk

My questions are:

1. what are the main difference between my current version and the latest version?
2. how much work is involved to upgrade from 1.4.9.3 to the latest version?
3. will everything from my current website be compatible with the latest opencart version
4. if not, how much work is involved to get it working again please?

Many thanks.

Regards,
Gary

Post by cturbo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:23 am

no one? :(

Post by Rainforest » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:33 am

Hi,

As someone who is self taught in working with opencart, I can tell you the best way to upgrade would be to copy your site to your local computer. Upgrade it and configure. When you've got it all right, transfer it to your domain.
It sounds like a lot but you save so much frustration and panic then trying to do a live upgrade. I made that mistake a year ago, never again. I've updated one of my sites from 1.4.9.6 to 1.5.4.1. The upgrade process is easy if you follow the instructions.

As for a your old extensions, if you got them on here then check to see if they've been updated. If not then, sorry, you need to get other ones. I found it easier to just start almost new. The only thing I value really is the customer data, order data, reports etc. the extensions, theme are all replaceable and "icing". If you need help let me know. Many people here have helped me so it's my turn ;)

Self Taught Opencart User & Developer Since 2010.

Post by cturbo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:55 am

Thanks for your advice, really appreciated.

When it comes to web design, it is pretty much my weakest spot. :( I will have to leave it for my web developer - dont want to be doing anything wrong and cause any issues to the website - I am very good at messing things up :(

How many hours would you say it would take to get everything upgraded and working? - to be honest, I don't think I have a lot of extensions at the moment, the only ones I can think of is the csv export and import, and also paypal. It's just that the theme is custom made and the live chat was custom fitted to the site - which took to longest time to get right.

I am not too worried about the theme, should be fairly easy for the developer to tweak it right. However, what worries me is the customer's account details. once you have upgraded the site, would the customer details get wiped out? ie. would customers lose their account details, such as log in details, order details etc?

Many thanks again :)
Gary

Post by Rainforest » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:45 am

The upgrade, using the beta script, then upgrading to 1.5, plus backing up all your databases should take about 30mins. That will get you to default theme. All your customer data is kept.

Self Taught Opencart User & Developer Since 2010.