Post by gail315 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 am

I have the latest version of OpenCart. I have a bunch of domains all on the same dedicated server with the same IP address. I am trying to setup multiple stores. My main store is let's call it:
holidays.com and OpenCart is holidays.com/store/

I want to have the specialty stores like:
christmas.com, easter.com, thanksgiving.com, etc.

On the OpenCart ADMIN What would be the store URLs? (christmas.com, easter.com, thanksgiving.com, etc.) or (christmas.com/store/, easter.com/store/, thanksgiving.com/store/, etc.) ???

How do I set it up on cPanel?
Do I go onto the main store cPanel holidays.com????
Do I do Addon domains? Subdomains? ?????

Detailed step by step instructions would really make me happy and u my new best friend ^-^

Post by fido-x » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:42 am

In your case, since your main store is (in the example given) located at holidays.com/store/, I would use the same sort of naming for your sub-stores. So, in your OpenCart admin, you would set the sub-store URLs to:
christmas.com/store/, easter.com/store/, thanksgiving.com/store/, etc.

The reason for using the same "naming scheme" for your sub-stores, is because the "RewriteBase" in your .htaccess file should have been set to "/store/" for SEO URLs to work on your main OpenCart store (holidays.com/store/). By using the same naming scheme for your sub-stores, your SEO URLs should work across all stores.

In your hosting cPanel, the path to the directory where your main site (holidays.com) is located, would be something like:
/home/holidays.com/public_html/
with your OpenCart installed in a sub-directory called "store" (ie. /home/holidays.com/public_html/store/).

The paths to the home directories of each of your other domains would be similar:
/home/christmas.com/public_html/
/home/easter.com/public_html/
etc.

Change these to point to the same directory as the default store (ie. /home/holidays.com/public_html/).

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by gail315 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Thank you sssooooo much. I followed most of what you said. Here is where I am a bit lost.

"The paths to the home directories of each of your other domains would be similar:
/home/christmas.com/public_html/
/home/easter.com/public_html/
etc."

Right and these sites have unique content already on them. In addition I want to add the shopping cart. Therefore are you suggesting that each domain I should add a directory (folder) named STORE. Then there would be /home/christmas.com/public_html/STORE/
/home/easter.com/public_html/STORE/

So then you say...

"Change these to point to the same directory as the default store (ie. /home/holidays.com/public_html/)."

How do I point that STORE directory to (ie. /home/holidays.com/public_html/) using cPanel? Is it by creating a subdomain, Addon domain or ??? Do I go into the cPanel of the sub-stores to do the pointing or do I do the pointing from holidays.com cPanel? Or is it something I do from the ROOT of the dedicated server?

Post by grpetz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:15 am

How do I point that STORE directory to (ie. /home/holidays.com/public_html/) using cPanel? Is it by creating a subdomain, Addon domain or ??? Do I go into the cPanel of the sub-stores to do the pointing or do I do the pointing from holidays.com cPanel? Or is it something I do from the ROOT of the dedicated server?
Exactly what I need to know how to do. How is this done? Thank you for helping out. Gary

Post by grpetz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:54 am

Go to Cpanel add the extra domains as "Add-On" domains. You can't park the domain. Make sure you change the directory to point to the folder you have your store installed in... so if it is in the root directory, then it should be public/html/ ... in my case my store was kept in www.mymainstore.com/store ... so mine was public/html/store ... set your "add on" domains to wherever your root shop is installed and that will fix it. Gary

Post by gail315 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:21 am

Thanks Gary but I'm a bit confused... someone else had suggested,

"in cpanel go to subdomains, under "Document Root" it has a link to the folder it points to, at the end of that link is something that looks like a piece of paper with a pencil. click that and you can change the folder they point to."

I'm so confused that I just want to :'(

Post by seomarin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 am

yourhosting:2083/.../subdomain/index.html in your cPanel
etc => yourdomain.com/cpanel => Subdomains
see your addon domain name etc addondomainname.yourdomain.com and redirect to www.addondomainname.com
Regards! ;)

Post by gail315 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:35 am

Thanks SEOMARIN
In my case the actual solution was to use SYMLINKS

Post by k2tec » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:06 pm

I use in cpanel parked domain and redirect it to the main store.
Everythink works out of the public_html with the main store.

In OC just add your other stores and everything works fine.

Post by gail315 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:17 am

The key to which method (addon vs symlinks) used is the url file layout. The shopping cart was added to my old content sites that had no cart therefore the cart was placed into a folder called store. all the old domains would also have the cart in a folder called store.
Mydomain1.com/store
Mydomain2.com/store
Etc

That is why the symlinks were required.

I hope this helps anyone setting up multistore with varying file directies.

Post by k2tec » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:56 am

no experiens with that method

Post by hobbymc.com » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:16 am

I think that I'm trying to accomplish something similar to the OP but here is my question..

If you have Site 1, example: johnson.com and you want to run Site 2, example: smith.com and you'd like to pull out of the same database, can you just set up each site independently and point them to the same database?

I don't like the idea of sub-domains because I don't want the URLs overlapping ala: smith.johnson.com. I don't want my customers making the association between both websites being the same company since one is a retail company and the other is a wholesale company but on the other hand, I REALLY don't want to have to go in and adjust inventory in 1 site every time something sells on the other site. I ran Opencart like that for a year and it was very tiresome.

Marc @ Hobby M.C.

Post by labeshops » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:25 am

You don't have to use subdomains and can use unique domains.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by hobbymc.com » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:15 am

labeshops wrote:You don't have to use subdomains and can use unique domains.
So can I just set up my 2 sites separately and link them to the same database? In theory, when someone buys something 1 site it should just remove the merchandise from the database and fix inventory in both. Right?

Post by labeshops » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:39 am

No. Install opencart once using 1 database and link both stores to the same opencart install. See http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=27538#p136162 for instructions on setting it up. I have 30+ stores running this way - only 1 is a subdomain.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by hobbymc.com » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 am

labeshops wrote:No. Install opencart once using 1 database and link both stores to the same opencart install. See http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=27538#p136162 for instructions on setting it up. I have 30+ stores running this way - only 1 is a subdomain.
I saw that post but unfortunately I do not have a CPanel to work with. I'm hosting my stuff at Superb which does not have a very friendly user interface. I need to reproduce what CPanel does but manually and that's the part I haven't figured out.

Post by labeshops » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 am

Ah well you should contact them and see how you can set the document root for a domain.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by autoboxer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:08 pm

I have two sites, site1.com/store which is an OpenCart storefront with heavy code customization, and site2.com, which is not OpenCart. I was asked to build a similar storefront fore site2.com/store which would mimic the styles of site 2, and have separate customized code from site1.com/store. The two sites are done, and I've had them linked to the same database since they're on the same hosting server and the database is exposed to both. The issue I've run into is that I've got elements like the introduction to a category, as well as information pages which should have different text for both sites. Is there a way to turn on the different stores in System so they show different content, or do I need to go through the full process of setting up an add-on domain... Or perhaps another way to go about it that I haven't heard of yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
autoboxer

Post by labeshops » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Not exactly following your setup.

Are they setup using 1 installation of opencart and multistores? Do you have 2 installations of opencart but are using the same database for both?

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by autoboxer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Two installations of OpenCart, pointing to the same database. Thanks for the reply as well, I wasn't sure if this thread was dead.