i've been bussy with the speed of my shops. I didn't find a topic with pionts for the speed. These steps speeded up my shop, So lets go.
First test your page. You can do it with these two online tests.
Use http://whichloadsfaster.com/ to check your shop against a known shop like amazone. You can see what's mandatory for shops and how your shop is doing.
This way you can see the improvement you made.
1. Remove category count, product count for specials, best sold, etc. U could use this extention: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... ESC&page=3
2. Use cache from your server. (htacces) http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/apach ... es_Headers
Code: Select all
4. optimize your code! Put important files first in line for loading. Load jquery as late as possible!
5. Use as less files you can. Try to merge all css files into 1 css file and try to merge as many as possible .js files into 1 file. This will decrease your server requests.
6. shrink your .css and .js files. http://www.refresh-sf.com/yui/#output REMIND TO BACK UP ORIGINAL FILES
7. shrink your image files. These will consume the most loadtime. So that will improve the total loading time the most. http://www.imageoptimizer.net/. For photo use .JPG For drawn picures use .PNG
8. check if your ISP has GZIP on. And turn it on in your opencart admin. You can do that within the tab "System" --> "Settings" --> "Server".
For what I know is that visitors will leave within 3seconds if nothing is showing. Total loading time is different from the first load where your visitors see what your page is about. A low first loading time will probably decrease your bounce rate. You can see here http://loads.in/ how your page shows on a timeline. Test it with different browsers.
These points will not only speed up your shop but also improve your SERP since loading time is important for ranking.
If there are more points that will speed up a opencart shop, just reply them.
Good luck and get speeding tickets