Post by Brook » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:10 am

First off, I really appreciate all the hard work that is done behind the scenes in developing OpenCart. Would there be anyway that we could get a regular Release Schedule for OpenCart Releases?

As things are, we are told that OpenCart Releases are almost ready, we wait, we wait, we wait, never knowing when the next Release is going to be released. Just feels like we are in the dark never knowing when exactly a Prodution Ready version of the code is ready to be released. I fully understand that we can download the Code from the Google SVN, I see that code as Developer Code that is a work in progress so I see that as not ready for a Production Website. Maybe I am missing something?

Just a proposal, but can we set some kind of expectations for future OpenCart releases? Maybe make a release on the 1st, the 15th, or the 30th of every month? Just an idea. Maybe just one release a month.

Thank you again for all of the hard work put in behind the scenes.

Post by smifis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:31 am

I cant seeing something such as opencart ever having a regular release schedule due to the fact that this is basically a "put time in when I can" type product.

Post by Brook » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:52 am

Thing is, there probably is a version ready for Production, but unfortunately we have to wait and continue to be in the dark. Again I appreciate all of the work put into OpenCart behind the scenes. Just wish we had some good idea when the next Production Ready release was going to be released. Only makes sense to have some timeline 1st of the month, 15th of the month, 30th of the month, whatever. I completely understand that the ability to edit orders may not be ready just yet, but there is no reason that a Production Ready Release Version could not be released, we have been waiting for a month for "the next" release, with no idea when it will happen. Why not target one day a month for Production Ready Releases? Maybe this is a pipe dream :)
Last edited by Brook on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:58 am

you've obviously never done software development. That is certainly a pipe dream that you'll have a new production ready version at the same time each month.

As far as there being a "production ready" release sitting somewhere I highly doubt it. Generally any version that is more than a bug fix gets released to the public long before it is "production ready" in my mind. I can assure you Daniel has never sat on a "production ready" release for a second.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Brook » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:09 am

Why not have a bug fix Release once a month and whatever Major Release whenever it is done. Xsecrets I have experience in Software Development. Thanks for the kind words. Most developers set expectations for their clients. OpenCart clients are in the dark right now, we have no idea when the next Production Ready release will be made. All I am proposing is some informal once a month release schedule, could be a bug fix only release, could be a major release, whatever is ready... Again I am very grateful for all of the work that is done behind the scenes :)

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:25 am

well you certainly can't set monthly releases for major new features, because many times they take much longer than a month to write. As far as bug fix releases they generally just come out when needed. It's been months since a bug fix release on 1.4.x series because it hasn't been needed. And it's a bit different than setting a deadline for clients for a couple of reasons. Noone is making full time pay to work on it, and there are no set requirements and scope of work.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by smifis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:32 am

The update come and get released when they're done, theres little need to be on the same date each month, software would then be 'sat on' waiting for the magical date, or it might not be ready and then have the release date missed and angry users.

Everythings fine as it it IMO

Post by Brook » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:53 am

I guess my proposal makes too much sense? Being in the dark is much more logical :). Look at all the posts asking for when the next Release will happen... Everyone is happy? Let's be honest with each other... Could there be an organized Release Schedule? Of course there could. Makes much more sense leaving everyone in the dark. Leaving everyone to continue to post "When is the next release?". There has to be a better way to do Releases?

Post by smifis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:14 am

Next release is when it's completed, there is nothing wrong with the current release. if there is something major then next release would be a few days at best away. You're forgetting this is not paid software, there is not large multicorporate company behind this just a few small guys.

Post by rph » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:21 am

Brook wrote:Thing is, there probably is a version ready for Production, but unfortunately we have to wait and continue to be in the dark.
Anyone can check out the SVN. It's definitely not at production level right now.

OpenCart would definitely benefit from a more regimented feature/bug fix release cycle and better version numbering but a fixed release schedule is really a pipe dream (and would likely do more harm than good anyway).

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Qphoria » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:43 am

rph wrote:
Brook wrote:Thing is, there probably is a version ready for Production, but unfortunately we have to wait and continue to be in the dark.
Anyone can check out the SVN. It's definitely not at production level right now.

OpenCart would definitely benefit from a more regimented feature/bug fix release cycle and better version numbering but a fixed release schedule is really a pipe dream (and would likely do more harm than good anyway).
There is no secret version that is production ready. That isn't the way it works. Typically we have a dozens of things that we want to throw in... We work on them as they come up and start writing them in.. after we finish a feature we go on to the next, or if we are stuck on an idea we leave it as it and work on something else while the thought marinates. After we feel we've done enough to warrant a new release, then we run through the whole thing a few times and release.

Perhaps it would be possible to link bug fixes to tags so that you can download a certain tag but we'd have to change the way we currently work on the code.

As it is now we work directly on the trunk and check in files as they change, which means the trunk can never be considered usable because you never know if we stopped in the middle of something. Instead daniel and I should both work off our own branches, then we can still check things in but only push known working fixes to the trunk, this way you can always get the latest trunk release and it should be fully functional. Then as we add features, we can promote them from the branch into the trunk as complete packages and only when ready.

I'll discuss it with daniel as it would be beneficial to us as developers too to be able to have a place for things like the cache file bug fix. I am actually looking into a way to link directly from svn to your site using a php-svn class so then you could simply upgrade with a click of a button on the backend.

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 am

I still think for an open source project like opencart it makes no sense to have a fixed release cycle. That means if you get some stuff done you would have to sit on it for however long before you release it.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Brook » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:10 am

I am completely with you. How long does anyone need to sit on it before it is Production Ready? We have waited one month for the next Release. How long do you want to wait? Why not have an OpenCart release that is Production Ready that is just bug fixes?

Post by rph » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:55 pm

No one's sitting on anything. The next version of OpenCart hasn't been released because features aren't done.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Qphoria » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:50 pm

The way I described above is the only way to do it and it requires some change in discipline.
More details on the process:
http://blog.evanweaver.com/2007/08/15/s ... -practice/

This Q & A sums up the 2 methods:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1261 ... -the-trunk

We currently use the "unstable trunk" method. We need to switch to the stable trunk method to make SVN have the latest stable code

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by smifis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Brook wrote:I am completely with you. How long does anyone need to sit on it before it is Production Ready? We have waited one month for the next Release. How long do you want to wait? Why not have an OpenCart release that is Production Ready that is just bug fixes?
*facepalm*