Post by KrawlOff-Road » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:54 am

We just signed up with Godaddy.com and downloaded the latest version of OpenCart. Now, we have NO clue what to do or how to get either one to work. Opencart is just a folder on our desktop that says "upload". Godaddy seems like a endless page after page of nothing. I hope we have not made a mistake. We have been working on this for over 5hrs and have not done a single thing or figured anything out! Please help...

-Jason
Last edited by i2Paq on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title adjusted + Topic moved

Post by gsmorbit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:37 pm

use ftp software to upload the entire data to the server than install it.

Post by Moggin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 pm

You have to set up a MySQL database at godaddy, as well as upload the files.

When you have done this, you can upload your store files. Godaddy's help files aren't very good, but here's their guide to uploading -
http://help.godaddy.com/article/96
-As gsmorbit says, FTP software is what you need. Filezilla, or CuteFTP are 2 suggestions.

When you have the FTP client up and running, use it to transfer the contents of the Opencart upload file to your web host.

Then browse to your Opencart home page and follow the installation instructions. You need your database info, and you need to decide on an admin username & password for the store.
Good luck

Post by KrawlOff-Road » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:53 am

Okay, I used SmartFTP to upload open cart to the FTP of our site. Now, what is our next step?

-Jason

Post by gsmorbit » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:07 am

first setup your ftp account and than put your user name and password in ftp program

Post by KrawlOff-Road » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:31 am

Where, on our site?

-Jason

Post by Moggin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:21 am

If you have a database ready, and have uploaded all your opencart files via FTP, you can go to your store home page and follow the installation instructions.

You need your database username, password, and your database host/hostname (as described here http://help.godaddy.com/article/39 ) - plus the admin username and password you have decided on for your store.

Post by KrawlOff-Road » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 am

How do I get to my stores home page? I have uploaded the OpenCart files with both SmartFTP and the FTPclient on godaddy. I have also setup not one but two databases under MYSQL on godaddy. I don't see where or how to get opencart to work. When I type in FTP.mydomainname.com, all I see is files for open cart. I have tryed to watch youtube videos on how to install OpenCart but eveyone seems to do it differently. I have been working on this for around 10hrs or so and cant seem to figure out how to get to OpenCart! This is VERY furstrating...

-Jason

Post by KrawlOff-Road » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:57 am

Moggin wrote:When you have the FTP client up and running, use it to transfer the contents of the Opencart upload file to your web host.

Here is where I get lost! How do I browse my Opencart home page? From where...

Then browse to your Opencart home page and follow the installation instructions. You need your database info, and you need to decide on an admin username & password for the store.
Good luck
-Jason

Post by Moggin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:35 am

OK. To get to your store's home page, open a web browser - the thing you're using to view this forum - and type in your shop's home page address in the address bar.

So if you put the files in your main domain, it's http://www.yoursite.com - (not ftp. yoursite.com)

If you put them in a subfolder called 'shop', go to http://www.yoursite.com/shop

You should see an installation page if you are in the right place - and if all the files were uploaded correctly.

Post by KrawlOff-Road » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:31 am

Great! That did the trick. Now, how do we go about setting up and customizing our store? I am sure I am going to get use the search function and other replys but thought I would ask...

-Jason