Post by glolar » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:50 pm

OK,

So I have been trying to upgrade my 1.4.9.3 store to 3.0.2.0, using the OpenCart 1.4.x to 1.5.x Upgrade script that is found here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50292

The directions in the readme file are confusing, but after checking many posts on this forum, I came to the conclusion that the script only updates the database files (To version 1.5.1.2, I think), and then you upgrade everything else by uploading the newer OpenCart source files over your old files, then run the OpenCart upgrade (rather than an install).

I was getting dozens of errors when running the upgrade-14x-to-15x.php file, before I realized that the script was using older mysql commands (vs. the newer mysqli commands), and that my site is using a newer version of PHP where the mysql commands are no longer valid. So I updated the script to use newer mysqli commands. After I did that, and ran the script, I got Success (with no errors). I then unzipped and uploaded all of the OpenCart 3.0.2.0 source files over my existing files, like the script instructions say. However, when I tried to run the upgrade to OpenCart 3.0.2.0, I got a white screen (Server 500 error). Didn't even get to the Upgrade page that lets you confirm and commence the upgrade.

So next I reset everything (1.4.9.3 database and OpenCart files), made sure my site was working again, then ran the modified (mysqli commands) script again. Success again, with no errors. But this time, I uploaded the OpenCart 1.5.6.1 source files over my existing 1.4.9.3 files, then tried to upgrade to OpenCart 1.5.6.1. This time, unlike the first time, I at least got the OpenCart Upgrade page (see attached image), but when I click the Continue button to commence with the upgrade, I get a white screen again (Server 500 error). See the second attached image.

I turned on error messages in my php.ini file, but I get no php errors, nor can I find any log file anywhere with more information about the Server 500 error. The only way I even know I am getting Server 500 errors is because I have the debugger console on.

If anyone wants a copy of the mysqli version of the upgrade file (the php file), just let me know. Hopefully someone can return the favor and help me find out why I cannot run the OpenCart upgrade after successfully running the upgrade-14x-to-15x.php script.

Also, since I cannot even open my admin panel, is it possible to tell if my database tables were actually updated by the upgrade-14x-to-15x.php script, by looking at them in phpMyAdmin? What do I look for to see if my database tables were actually updated to v1.5.x successfully?

Thanks all!

Attachments

opencart-upgrade2.jpg

opencart-upgrade2.jpg (117.48 KiB) Viewed 823 times

opencart-upgrade.jpg

opencart-upgrade.jpg (460.92 KiB) Viewed 823 times

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:09 pm

You didn't made a back-up for old store? files and database?
Better is to upgrade step by step.

1.4 to 1.5
1.5 to 2.1.0.2
etc....

My Extensions | OC 3.0.3.1, 3.0.2.0, 2.3.0.2 with bugs fixed | 2.3.0.2 Custom version | Buy me a beer or coffee

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:34 pm

What you could do is restore your site's files and database from your backup just before you tried the upgrade. Any decent host should be taking at least daily backups. Once your have restored, make a copy of your site's files and database locally or on another location on your server.

Then perform the upgrade of your copy, working out what you need to do and fully testing before attempting to upgrade your live store. Looking in your OpenCart error log, usually in system/logs and your PHP error_log, usually in the web root could help work out what is going wrong.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Location - United Kingdom

Post by glolar » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:57 pm

AddCreative and xxvirusxx,

I have backups of everything. That is not the problem. I think I have narrowed down the problem.

I found a page that better explains how to convert from 1.4.9.3 to 3.x. That page is here : http://docs.opencart.com/en-gb/upgrading/

But note that in the "Updating from 1.5.x to the latest version" section, it says this:

"Updating from a 1.5.x version to the newest version is a simpler process than updating from 1.4.x".

I've got everything (database and opencart source) restored to v1.4.9.3 now. I have two choices now:

1. I can run the Q script, then upgrade OpenCart to 1.5.x, then try to upgrade OpenCart to 3.x, or
2. I can run the Q script, then try to upgrade directly to OpenCart 3.x. But if I choose to upgrade to 1.5.x first, there are some mysql commands in some of the 1.5.x OpenCart files that I will need to change to mysqli commands first. It looks like all the mysql_ commands in 3.x have been changed to mysqli_ commands. But I fear I will have more issues trying to upgrade directly to 3.x.

I was forced to upgrade the entire 1.4.9.3 code a while back when my ISP changed to a newer version of PHP. I updated all of the mysql_ commands to mysqli_ commands when PHP was upgraded.

I think I am going to follow the directions I found at docs.opencart.com (delete all my extensions first). I have backups of everything.

Any suggestions on whether I should try option 1 or option 2 above is welcomed!

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by glolar » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Well, I uploaded the v3.x files, ran the upgrade-14x-to-15x.php script without errors, but when I tried to run the v3.0.2.0 upgrade, I got a server 500 error again (white screen). Sigh.

Any help is appreciated.

Increase Your Child's I.Q.
iPad Wallpapers
Turtle & Tortoise Screen Savers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Looking in your OpenCart error log, usually in system/logs and your PHP error_log, usually in the web root could help work out what is going wrong.

I think you may need to at least do 1.4 to 1.5 and maybe even 1.5 to 2.2 or 2.3 before going to 3.0. I would search this forums for what others have done.

If you are just upgrading because of MySQL. Maybe just convert the database driver for 1.4 to use MySQLi as a temporary measure. You may even find that this one works or needs just small modifications. https://github.com/opencart-ce/opencart ... mysqli.php

www.add-creative.co.uk

Location - United Kingdom

Post by johnp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:51 pm

xxvirusxx wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:09 pm
You didn't made a back-up for old store? files and database?
Better is to upgrade step by step.

1.4 to 1.5
1.5 to 2.1.0.2
etc....
Yep. That's what I do. Works perfectly every time. I stick at Opencart 2.3.0.2 though with upgrades.

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD 2.6.1 lover, user and geek.
Fast and Affordable Service for Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
https://www.asandwhenbusinessservices.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by glolar » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:08 am

johnp,

Can you please describe what process you use to convert from 1.4x to 1.5x?

Thanks.

Increase Your Child's I.Q.
iPad Wallpapers
Turtle & Tortoise Screen Savers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by johnp » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:22 am

I normally upgrade 1.4.9.6 to 1.5.6.4 and if that's stable then upgrade to 1.5.6.5. I simply follow the instructions in the post quoted earlier.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50292

The important thing I've found is to turn off as many extensions as you can and have the default theme enabled through the process.

Once on 1.5.6.5 if I decide to go to version 2 I used the alternative V2 upgrade install folder/script.

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=163546

1.4.9.6 to 1.5.6.4 is pretty straightforward if you're paitent and methodical.

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD 2.6.1 lover, user and geek.
Fast and Affordable Service for Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
https://www.asandwhenbusinessservices.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK