Post by varnco » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:50 am

I upgraded from OScommerce a few years ago to opencart and did just fine (a few things here and there)

I am now ready to upgrade my site as it's not responsive to a site that is responsive. So, I figure it's probably a good time to upgrade from 1.5 to 2.2?

Or, should I just stay at 1.5 and get a template which is responsive?

Is my upgrade path different if I'm going for a whole new site (template, etc.)? I assume yes, and likely easier, except I'll have to install/update all my plugins.

Any thoughts and tips are appreciated.

Post by straightlight » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:51 am

Any thoughts and tips are appreciated.
Only to accept reality since technology does evolve with time. Responsive template is the future as it is compatible with multiple devices compared to what v1.5x releases of Opencart used to originally deliver.

All extensions must be reinstalled on upgraded version of Opencart. Each extensions must be ensured to use the current version of Opencart you are running and, most importantly, to make a full backup of your store including its database.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by varnco » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:13 pm

So, I should upgrade to 2.2? There are responsive 1.5 themes.

Also, the upgrade should/may be easier since I'm not trying to upgrade my existing 1.5 opencart to 2.2 (theme, extensions), but rather installing a new theme and plugins on 2.2, I just then need the database to transfer over?????

In theory, it sounds easier than upgrading an existing theme/plugins

Post by straightlight » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm not trying to upgrade my existing 1.5 opencart to 2.2 (theme, extensions), but rather installing a new theme and plugins on 2.2, I just then need the database to transfer over?????

In theory, it sounds easier than upgrading an existing theme/plugins
This upgrade methodology would not be advisable. It would rather be suggested to upload a new folder on your server. Then, to backup your previous entire's store from the previous folder including its database. Then. to remove the old folder and to rename the new folder back to its old folder by also keeping your previous config.php and admin/config.php files before running the upgrade. Then, run the upgrade.

After running the upgrade, re-install each compatible extensions - including themes.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON