Post by mikeconomy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi Everyone,
Hope you are well so it seems i think i have put myself in a really difficult situation and a little out of my depth.

I built a site from my father to run his business on open cart in 2010 and he is starting to have trouble with it and i want to try and move him along the upgrade path to 3.0.

Im a little out of my dept what is the best way to do this.

. Version of OpenCart? 1.5.1 > 3.0.2.0
. Clean install or upgrade? upgrade (or is it better to just upgrade the database and start clean ?)
. From what version are you upgrading? 1.5.1

Post by MrPhil » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 pm

That's too big a jump. Besides, v3 is still on its shakedown cruise and will have a lot of bugs for a while. It would be better to move to v2.3 for now, and think about v3 in a year or two, after it's settled down.

Post by Sevak » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Me too have similar situation.

I'm still running v 1.4 and want to upgrade to 3.0.2.

Tried couple of options, first installed 3.0.2 on my localhost and imported 1.4 DB, but it still show the demo content though the db is pointing to right one.

Please suggest the steps to upgrade from 1.4 to 3.x.

Your support would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Post by puyopuy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:02 pm

This is what I did.

1. Fulll backup existing database by export by SQL.
2. Create a new database(e.g. Upgrade) and import by SQL.
3. Make a copy of your existing Opencart folder and copy to new location(e.g. Upgrade).
4. Open config.php and admin/config.php from your new location and change the location path, DB name and db_driver(mysqli).
5. Create a subdomain(e.g. upgrade.myopencart.com) and point to your new location.
6. Test and make sure new created site are working.
(MAKE SURE YOU CHANGED THE NEW DB's NAME, you can test it by adding new record in upgrade Opencart)

7. Overwrite your upgraded folder by Opencart 3.0 files(all files and folders from upload folder).
8. Run the installation again and Opencart should detected an upgarde.

You may see this error, I just ignored and continue.
Error Code(0): Error: Unknown table 'nwtco859_upgrade.affiliate_activity'
Error No: 1051
DROP TABLE `affiliate_activity` in /home/nwtco859/upgrade/system/library/db/mysqli.php on line 40

After upgrade, clear any cookies in your browser to avoid getting token errors.

Load the admin page & press Ctrl+F5 twice to force the browser to update the css changes.
Opencart may ask you to move your storage directory.
So you move the storage directory by following the instructions, automatic Move doesn't work for me, I have to manually move the folder.
After you moved, you have to change to change the config files.

Goto Admin -> Users -> User Groups and Edit the Top Adminstrator group. Check All boxes.
Goto Admin and Edit the main System Settings. Update all fields and click save, even if nothing changed.
Goto Admin Extensions -> Themes -> Default Store Theme and Click Install and select your theme.
Goto Admin -> Settings -> Server and change the Error Log Filename to error.log
Load the store front & press Ctrl+F5 twice to force the browser to update the css changes.
All done :)

Post by kustomservices » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 am

I followed these steps:
1) Created a copy of the current 1.5 files into a sub-folder.
2) Created a new database and imported the old database tables.
3) Modified the Config files.
4) Created a sub-domain
5) Copied the 3.0 upload files over top of the files in the sub-folder.
6) Ran the upgraded.domain.com/install
7) It said it was successful and then redirected me to the root of the sub-domain with an error message that a theme had not been selected.
8) I setup a theme.

Result - I get an updated OpenCart but my system does not have the categories or products from my old site. So far this upgrade process has been worthless. Is there no automated way to update an older site? Or are there manual SQL files I can use to update the older SQL DB to the new format?

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:09 am

Well, if an automated way of upgrading an OpenCart would be possible, then only,
if a fully virgin old Version would have to be upgraded. Anything else is unpro-dreaming,
like expexting a WIN-10 upgrade from WIN-7 also upgrading MS-Word, Excel, and other
additional Software at the same time. :laugh: :crazy:

Should not be so hard to understand, actually ...
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by kustomservices » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 am

Nevermind. I didn't realize that the old tables had a prefix so they were not getting upgraded. I had to change the prefix to match the standard oc_. That's a bummer. Changing the prefix would be better from a security perspective.

Post by sims » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:10 am

Doesn't work

Step 8 gives

"Error Code(0): Error: Error on rename of '.\mayconta_mcm3\#sql-1d50_1920.MYI' to '.\mayconta_mcm3\oc_information.MYI' (Errcode: 13 - Permission denied)
Error No: 7
ALTER TABLE `oc_information` ENGINE = `MyISAM` in C:\xampp\htdocs\system\library\db\mysqli.php on line 40"
puyopuy wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:02 pm
This is what I did.

1. Fulll backup existing database by export by SQL.
2. Create a new database(e.g. Upgrade) and import by SQL.
3. Make a copy of your existing Opencart folder and copy to new location(e.g. Upgrade).
4. Open config.php and admin/config.php from your new location and change the location path, DB name and db_driver(mysqli).
5. Create a subdomain(e.g. upgrade.myopencart.com) and point to your new location.
6. Test and make sure new created site are working.
(MAKE SURE YOU CHANGED THE NEW DB's NAME, you can test it by adding new record in upgrade Opencart)

7. Overwrite your upgraded folder by Opencart 3.0 files(all files and folders from upload folder).
8. Run the installation again and Opencart should detected an upgarde.

You may see this error, I just ignored and continue.
Error Code(0): Error: Unknown table 'nwtco859_upgrade.affiliate_activity'
Error No: 1051
DROP TABLE `affiliate_activity` in /home/nwtco859/upgrade/system/library/db/mysqli.php on line 40

After upgrade, clear any cookies in your browser to avoid getting token errors.

Load the admin page & press Ctrl+F5 twice to force the browser to update the css changes.
Opencart may ask you to move your storage directory.
So you move the storage directory by following the instructions, automatic Move doesn't work for me, I have to manually move the folder.
After you moved, you have to change to change the config files.

Goto Admin -> Users -> User Groups and Edit the Top Adminstrator group. Check All boxes.
Goto Admin and Edit the main System Settings. Update all fields and click save, even if nothing changed.
Goto Admin Extensions -> Themes -> Default Store Theme and Click Install and select your theme.
Goto Admin -> Settings -> Server and change the Error Log Filename to error.log
Load the store front & press Ctrl+F5 twice to force the browser to update the css changes.
All done :)

Post by sims » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:21 am

and now this in a continuous loop:

SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data OK Warning: file(C:/xampp/htdocs/admin/config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\install\model\upgrade\1009.php on line 94Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampp\htdocs\install\model\upgrade\1009.php on line 96Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampp\htdocs\install\model\upgrade\1009.php on line 107Warning: fopen(C:/xampp/htdocs/admin/config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\install\model\upgrade\1009.php on line 116Warning: fwrite() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\install\model\upgrade\1009.php on line 118Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\install\model\upgrade\1009.php on line 120{"success":"Patch 1009 has been applied (10 of 10)","next":"index.php?route=upgrade\/upgrade\/next&step=11"}

Post by puyopuy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Maybe you should check your MySQL user is administrator(root) and got all the privileges.

Post by daytonbuilder » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:35 am

Since its July, 2018 I am wondering if anyone has successfully achieved this upgrade directly? Or if I would be better off in 2 steps:
Step 1: v1.5.6 to v2.3.02
Step 2: v2.3.02 to v3.0.2
I do not see any official documentation on how to perform this upgrade. Any suggestions for this rookie, before I attempt this upgrade? This would be my first OpenCart upgrade attempt.

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 am

This would be my first OpenCart upgrade attempt.
Well, better don't even try, I guarantee, that you will end up in frustration. :o
It has been mentioned already hundreds of times ....
But probably, it's of no use, to tell all those forever Newbies ...
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by johnp » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:56 pm

I managed 1.4.9.6 to 3 by going 1.4.9.6 to 1.5.6.3 to 1.5.6.4 to 2.2.0.0 to 2.3.0.2 to 3.0.0.1. It took all day and 2 jars of coffee but I got there in the end.

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK