Post by uglyeoin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:43 am

Hi all,

I've tried to set up a dev/staging version of my live site so I can make changes there prior to sending live.

I set up a sub-domain outside of my public_html which I believe is good practice.

I copied all of my files over. I went into PHPMyAdmin, exported the Database, then created a new database, and improrted my SQL file.

Then I updated admin/config.php and ./config.php with the new database details as well as the new directories for each item.

When I try to run my site it doesn't load but instead it goes to http://www.staging1.mydomain.com/instal ... /index.php

Does anyone know why this is and how to resolve it? It says:

The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

Post by rph » Fri May 01, 2015 1:21 am

Given the mangling of the address it looks like you have some sort of recursive redirect going on. The most likely cause is a server setup issue.

As an aside, I would recommend not putting your dev and production site on the same server. Mistakes are too easy. There are a number of other solutions including a dedicated dev machine (a VPS can be had for as little as $5/month on DigitalOcean), a virtual machine such as Vagrant that matches your server, or a local WAMP/MAMP stack.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska