Post by rajasekharp » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:04 pm

I am a new member and i am trying to install opencart.

I do have a strong technical team. I am trying OpenCart in order to suggest my customers to migrate, to this opensource platform. There were several complaints from my customers about other platforms about their limitations.

So before i start , i want to ask a question to experts like you . what are the main limitations of OpenCart , which we cant change or which takes lot of time to change ? (as added above , i do have strong development team on PHP mysql and webstuff).

Please advice , thanks in advance.

Admin: If this is the not the right form to ask this question, please push to right form or let me know.

Post by ogun » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Modifying OpenCart for your own needs can be a bit like finding your way around someone else's kitchen, and I can imagine a seasoned PHP developer (someone used to working with specific frameworks, libraries or practices) being a little put off by how some things are implemented (e.g. database queries or language handling) - but if you can see past those idiosyncrasies then it's very easy to work with compared to other carts. My only personal issue with OpenCart is the entirely unnecessary reliance on JavaScript - but if that's an issue for you too then it can be worked around easily enough.

If your team are diligent users of version control or they become familiar with the 'vQmod' system then OpenCart can be plumbed into anything you need it to with far less fuss than other carts.

To give you some context, I've only set up a couple of stores with OpenCart, but that was after a *lot* of testing with CubeCart, ZenCart, Magento and a dozen other open source and commercial carts. If I need to leave a client with a cart that they can update/modify themselves with the minimum of grief, I'll use OpenCart. It's a bit more 'hands on' than other carts, but it's all the better for it.