Post by dazthephot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi all,

i'm experimenting with reducing my page load speed. I've bought and installed an extension that stops the DB queries and product count which gained me approx 2.5 seconds. My page load speed is around 4.6 seconds which is still a bit slow for a store that only really has about 2000 products and not a huge amount of categories.

I'm now looking at enabling Gzip but i read that it's only recommended on a VPS or dedicated server. My hosting is like most, shared, so what are the draw backs or problems associated?

many thanks

Daz

OC v1.5.1
khinteriorsltd.co.uk

Post by cwswebdesign » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 pm

With 2000 products, you can do yourself a huge favor and upgrade to a VPS or look at wxhosting.com

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by dazthephot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks for the response.
I was looking at VPS options today but it wasn't too clear to me how i'd benefit. My main priority right now is page load speed, would a VPS help?
regards
Daz

Post by cwswebdesign » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:12 pm

I think you would benefit from it. What caching extensions are you running?

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by dazthephot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:19 pm

The extension i've just installed is this:
(VQMod) Optimize and Speedup your open cart ( great for SEO )
Item Number 3862

My other extensions are minimal really. Price update redux, product image sticker, smart search, category shipping, product extra. usual stuff.

I am wary of the cache especially image cache as my Google product feed image table is linked to it.

Post by cwswebdesign » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:01 am

dazthephot wrote:The extension i've just installed is this:
(VQMod) Optimize and Speedup your open cart ( great for SEO )
Item Number 3862

My other extensions are minimal really. Price update redux, product image sticker, smart search, category shipping, product extra. usual stuff.

I am wary of the cache especially image cache as my Google product feed image table is linked to it.
I haven't tried that one but I have used this one and the support is excellent as well: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... arch=cache

If you try it, disable your existing cache mod so that it doesn't conflict. The other extensions are no big deal because they have nothing to do with speed increase or caching.

DL

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by dazthephot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Thank you, i'll look into that extension.

The next thing will be to pursuade my client that the increased costs of a VPS are worth it.

cheers

Daz