Post by Namitha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi,

I have a main domain and subdomains. Each subdomain hosts a website. On all the subdomains I have installed Opencart separately i.e new installations of Opencart. Is this the right way to go about it?

I understand that Opencart provides the Multi Store option but I haven't used it.

Any suggestions/inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Namitha.

Post by Qphoria » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:01 pm

You have 2 options

1. Running each store in it's own subdomain like you are doing. That means each store is completely separate and each has its own database and file set.

2. Running multiple stores with a single file set and database. In this case you would set the subdomain to point to the same directory as the main store. The store will handle the redirection of the substore.

If you are already running 2 stores then stick with that. There's no way to go back and combine them into one store... at least not without serious custom work.

Administrator

Post by therugworld » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:13 pm

I have two different domains and would like to use the same product database. I have copied the entire website files/opencart files of Domain1 to Domain2 and linked Domain2 to the same SQL database as Domain1. Is this the correct way to do this?

Would the product count go down in the domain if purchased in the other.

http://www.TheRugWorld.co.uk - Rugs, Carpet, Vinyl & Laminates! FREE UK Delivery - Worldwide Shipping!

Location - London

Post by labeshops » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Not if you are tyring to setup multistores. See http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=27538

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by butte » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Minor aside: where "count go down" you do not want that count to be Google's or or other engines' view of your own rank -- take care not to duplicate among separate addresses the same or significantly overlapping arrays of products, but you're fine if each address has an entirely or largely different array of products.

Guru Member

Post by Namitha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:25 pm

This question is for Qphoria..

I have about 4 such stores running using separate databases and files. My concern is the performance. I have these stores running on a VPS. How many such stores can I run on a high end VPS?

Post by MarketInSG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:08 am

You can run lots of stores, probably 10 or more, but it all depends on your traffic per site too.

I have one main store & 5 demo stores all without any issues

Guru Member

Location - Singapore