Page 1 of 1

Google Sitemap Constant Errors

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:37 am
by adamplatinum
Error after error constantly. I fix one thing and then it's another. I removed all ampersands from my database (took hours). And now at my wits end as I am still getting parsing errors from google.

http://www.platinum-records.com/index.p ... le_sitemap

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Re: Google Sitemap Constant Errors

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:53 am
by thekrotek
Default sitemap extension isn't the best one for sure. In short, one of sitemap entries contains special characters, which weren't properly converted. It's not even your fault, actually, extension should properly convert everything for you and prepare XML file no matter the product titles or anything else.

Re: Google Sitemap Constant Errors

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:04 am
by adamplatinum
thekrotek wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:53 am
Default sitemap extension isn't the best one for sure. In short, one of sitemap entries contains special characters, which weren't properly converted. It's not even your fault, actually, extension should properly convert everything for you and prepare XML file no matter the product titles or anything else.
Thanks for the response. So is the best solution is to find and install *another* third-party extension? Why would OpenCart push a live build of this if it is so fragile?

Re: Google Sitemap Constant Errors

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:18 am
by thekrotek
OpenCart offers basic functionality and, of course, has some bugs. Every software has bugs, which is pretty normal. Let alone the fact, that basic functionality is always limited.

So yes, I'd recommend you to use 3rd party sitemap extension - Smart Sitemap.

See the demo and if you come up with some questions, poke me via email support@thekrotek.com. But demo should be quite enough, it shows you everything.

Re: Google Sitemap Constant Errors

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:38 am
by adamplatinum
thekrotek wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:18 am
OpenCart offers basic functionality and, of course, has some bugs. Every software has bugs, which is pretty normal. Let alone the fact, that basic functionality is always limited.

So yes, I'd recommend you to use 3rd party sitemap extension - Smart Sitemap.

See the demo and if you come up with some questions, poke me via email support@thekrotek.com. But demo should be quite enough, it shows you everything.
Thanks! I will do that. I just wish OpenCart would make certain things more clear (like specifying which features are error prone and need third-party extensions) to save developers time. I spent hours thinking this was a database problem when it was an OpenCart problem.

Again, not knocking it just trying to provide constructive criticism. Thanks again!