Post by kcq822 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi there!
I'm a freelance content creator working with a client to set up products and SEO for his new site. I've never used opencart before this project and have combed through the message board here without finding exactly what I need--maybe I just need things broken down to a step by step 5-year-old level since this is all so new. I've tried reaching out to the developer multiple times with no response, and I hear he will no longer be working on this project so we're in a bind. I need to generate and export the product feed using google base so my client can upload it to the merchant center. Here's what I have so far:

-The google merchant center piece has been set up
-All products are in the store with assigned OC categories
-Google Base feed is enabled

I see a message about downloading the current google categories--do I need to manually create a .txt file and assign google category numbers to each product and upload to OC? Using version 2.3.0.2

Any help is welcome!! Thanks!

-Katelyn

Post by Qphoria » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 am

In the google base feed click "download categories".. that will simply update the opencart db with the latest google categories for taxonomy. In the feed you will then have a huge list of google supported categories.. pick which you feel represents your store best.

For google base feed, you can simply pass the feed url shown in the gray box right into Google merchant and it will grab it automatically. You can always view it manually in many browsers (IE is actually best for this) as it is simply an rss feed.

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by kcq822 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi and thanks for your reply! I just want to make sure I understand this so I don't spend time on something that is incorrect. Are you referring to the blue bar that says "download latest google categories?" That takes me to the google merchant center help page and then gives me the option to download the taxonomies as txt or excel file. Do I need to download this and manually select the proper taxonomies, then upload that file?

Thanks again!
Katelyn