Post by landon1850 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:10 am

I apologize if this is a subject that's been beat to death, but I cannot find the answer or extension (or combination of extensions) I need to solve what seems like would be a common shipping situation for retailers - here goes:

We sell products from many vendors and do not stock all the products at our own warehouse. Some vendors of ours offer free shipping on their items, some charge a flat rate - most things sent out of our own warehouse get sent via UPS, but some in flat-rate USPS boxes.

Lets say Susie shops on our site and adds the following items to her cart:

A large tent - shipped direct from the manufacturer and has a flat shipping fee of $50
A truck accessory - shipped from our warehouse in a flat rate $5 box
A camp stove - shipped from our warehouse UPS using our negotiated rates, let's say $12.13 UPS ground
A roof rack system - shipped direct from the manufacturer who ships free

I would like the Shipping at check out to show that shipping will be $67.13 (flat rate of $50 + flat rate box of $5 + UPS Ground of $12.13 + FREE)

Is this possible? What do I need? I've purchased several extensions trying to figure this out on my own and keep getting errors or only partially working shipping choices. Help! Thanks! :)

Post by Johnathan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:59 pm

If you use live rates like UPS or USPS, you can do this with Ultimate Shipping. You can set up different rates for each manufacturer/category/product, and then combine them into a single cost displayed to the customer. You can see a few examples of setups here:

http://www.getclearthinking.com/ultimate-shipping

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by landon1850 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:02 am

Thank you, Johnathan, for your reply.

I don't mind buying extensions to make things work - it's the opencart way! But to be sure, you are saying that with your Ultimate Shipping extension, I could have one order with four or five different shipping methods (including what you call "live rates") and the customer would simply be informed of a single cost for shipping at check out?

One last question then, does your extension have any issues with the incredibly popular "Journal" theme for opencart? We have recently decided to use that theme, but I will go a different direction if it means we couldn't use your shipping extension.

Thanks!

-Landon

Post by Johnathan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:23 am

Yes, you can set different rates for different manufacturers, and then combine them into a single cost. Each Charge Combination will be shown as an option to the customer, so if you only want one shipping option, just combine all the rates into a single Combination.

Ultimate Shipping is a standard shipping method, so it should work fine with any theme, including Journal. Note that themes that overwrite or modify core files may cause issues, but in this case I've heard from other Journal users and don't believe there's an issue.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by 4elements » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:16 am

What if I don't use live rates? My client wants me to charge a flat shipping for item A at $1 and for item B at $2 and for it to show up as one shipping rate in the cart (basically like what the original poster wanted, but I got confused when you guys started talking about live rates). Will this solution work? thank you.

Post by Johnathan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Yes, Ultimate Shipping will still work for that, but if you don't need live rate support or some of the more advanced rules in there, you could probably get by with Category & Product-Based Shipping. It lets you create different charges for different products or categories, and combine them together for a single cost to the customer. You can see an example of that here, in "combining charges for different categories":

http://www.getclearthinking.com/categor ... d-shipping

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator