Post by GatorTim » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:30 am

There is an edit check in the Pay with Amazon checkout process that ensures that the email address used to login to Amazon matches the users email address in Opencart if the user is logged into Opencart. Why do the email addresses need to be the same? Many people are going to have multiple email addresses, why would it matter if they use one to register with my store than the one they used for Amazon payments?

Tim
Last edited by GatorTim on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by labeshops » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:11 pm

The entire point of using amazon login or any of the social logins is so that a customer can use the same account across multiple stores/websites without having to remember what they used for what site. Since both key off the email address for the login, naturally they would need to be the same email address.

You could perhaps, have a mod created that allows the customer to use a different email for contacts from your store, but if someone wants to use a different email address/login for your store, they can just register an account on your store.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by GatorTim » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:09 am

I get that the point is that in theory they would both login and pay with Amazon. But what is the reason behind enforcing that they cannot do it any other way?

What if they never used Amazon before or didn't have an Amazon account, so they first create an account on my site. Then after a few times seeing the Amazon logo they finally give into pressure and create an Amazon account and then try to pay with it and start getting errors.

Now, I know that Amazon is huge and ubiquitous and my site will be small at first and the likelihood of this scenario, so I am practicing the art of trying to make a point by pointing out something absurd. However, the point itself is valid, why enforce a particular use case unless there is a valid reason for doing so?

So is there a valid reason?

Post by labeshops » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:31 am

As I said, both opencart and amazon use your email address as your username, so naturally you have the use the email address you have registered with them to log in. In your scenario, they could change their email address to whatever they use for amazon after the fact, but how many people have multiple email addresses? Yes, I know, there are always some that use a specific "shopping" email address such as a gmail or hotmail account to avoid spam from that store, but the average person generally only have 1 email address anyway. Not sure this is a concern you need to worry about - if they have an amazon account, they will probably use it to register on your store. If they don't or want to keep their accounts seperate, they can register on your store. It's all about giving customers a choice of what they prefer.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by GatorTim » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Marking Solved, decided to remove Login and Pay with Amazon from my store because of a number of issues and workflow problems that point out that it doesn't meet my needs.