Post by roblengyel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:17 am

I recently bought the SEo Pro pack and it works fine with OC 1.5.6.4.

I the purchased some other extension modules and found that they will not work and there appears to be a conflict with the Seo Pro Pack.

This is deeply distrubing and I ask a fairly obvious question.

Why do not all extensin ,modules coexist and interact successfully with the OC core files or through vQmod.

All the extension I have use vQmod but they cannot live together AND THEY SHOULD!!!

Consider world wide accounting systems like Accpac wtc. That have had hundreds of add on software modules that happily coexist and work with the dore dozen or so accounting modules.

It seems to me that Open Cart lacks a common set of software module ground rules/standards that developers adhere too.

I find this strange and completely unprofessional and basically dishonest. You are saying "buyer beware" as we can never guarantee that our modules can coexist with another developers modules.

Alos, canany module developer say that if loaded together, all their extension modules can happily coexist with OC.

Does this mean you buy one module, get it working, and you can never be sure that futuure modules from the same or other develoers will work together?

I think the developes OC and module extension developers need to clean this strange anomaly up ASAP.

As it curretly stands, it means rhat no one can safely purchase modules from either the same (lets wait until developers rsspond about all their modules working together I suppose!) or another developer and expect them to all work.

I find this to be very strange and does nothing to ensure either the future or profitability of those people developing extension modules.

Right now I am loath to purchase any more modules from anyone, and this is a shame as there are a dozen or so I would. Ike to buy.

Over to you OC and developers for some serious discussion please.

Location - Brisbane, Australia

Post by fido-x » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:54 am

roblengyel wrote:Why do not all extensin ,modules coexist and interact successfully with the OC core files or through vQmod.

All the extension I have use vQmod but they cannot live together AND THEY SHOULD!!!
Where a vQmod (or an OCMOD) modifies a core file, somebody else's extension may modify the same line of code in that core file. In this situation, whichever modification is loaded first will make the change. Any subsequent modifications to the same file then need to change the modified code. However, if that modification is someone else's, we don't know what has been changed or what it has been changed to.
roblengyel wrote:It seems to me that Open Cart lacks a common set of software module ground rules/standards that developers adhere too.
All my modules comply with the OpenCart framework.
roblengyel wrote:Alos, canany module developer say that if loaded together, all their extension modules can happily coexist with OC.
Yes.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by roblengyel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:18 am

Taa for your comment.

But your comments need to be challenged as follows

Firstly, it is obvious the Open Cart frameowrk needs to be changed.

Consider my reference to software like Accpac etc. Where hundreds of "extension modules" have been developed and all happily coexist. They must have all agreed ypon a common framework for developing add on modules.

Many other software pckages also have a common coexist platform of rules etc.

Why should Open Cart be any different.

My comments are not a reflection of developers BUT a serious attempt to get developers talking about how modules can coexist.

Other software developers do it and why cannot Open Cart do it as well.

How can we have confidence in purchasing extension modules from different developers?

Location - Brisbane, Australia