Post by Malaiac » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Currently testing a few themes and extensions from the OpenCart Extensions store. I can download them locally and upload them to the server, but the aws URL gives 403 (forbidden) errors if I try to download them directly from the server.
How should I proceed ?

Post by Malaiac » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Added question : I have down + up-loaded a theme zip file (electromax, 2.3.0.2 compatible), and unzipped it in ./catalog/view/theme. While it appears in Extensions/Default Store theme dropdown, it doesn't seem to be "installed" so it doesn't show in Settings/Store.
Are we supposed to "install" themes as extensions, and if yes, how to do it without using the extension uploader that works erratically ("invalid file type" on a regular zip file) ?

Post by OSWorX » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Malaiac wrote:Are we supposed to "install" themes as extensions, and if yes, how to do it without using the extension uploader that works erratically ("invalid file type" on a regular zip file) ?
Files loaded by the installer have to be named like

Code: Select all

module_name.ocmod.zip
If that 'ocmod' is not present, it will throw this error.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Malaiac » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Even for themes ?

I tried renaming the theme zip.
Now it displays : "Directory containing files to be uploaded could not be found!"
The zip contains ./Opencart 2.3/admin/.. folders . It's the free version of a pro theme

Post by OSWorX » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:58 pm

Malaiac wrote:Even for themes ?

I tried renaming the theme zip.
Now it displays : "Directory containing files to be uploaded could not be found!"
The zip contains ./Opencart 2.3/admin/.. folders . It's the free version of a pro theme
If the developer know his job, it should be possible to install also themes via the integrated installer.
But to keep that short: give me the URL of the theme, and I will look at.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Malaiac » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:43 am

It's this one. I'm not sure it will be the final pick, but I at least need to understand how it works
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... load_id=47

Post by OSWorX » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Malaiac wrote:It's this one. I'm not sure it will be the final pick, but I at least need to understand how it works
So, just downlaoded this theme and installed it on a clean OC 2.3.0.2.

Summary: forget that theme - too many bugs!
And it replace some core files - something like that should never happen!

The installation itself, is documented in the embedded readme-installation-guide.txt and on their website:
http://ashertheme.com/docs/electromax/D ... stallation

While they forgot to mention inside the readme that you have to call the shop after you have enabled the theme in the backend.

Folders and files have to be simply copied by FTP (see readme).

But as written: either the dev want to make money with his pro-version, but this 'light' version is not useable because of the many bugs inside (tested only with 2.3.0.2, maybe other versions will work)!
And because of those bugs, the installation is not useable anymore, the more when you want to use another theme after!

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Malaiac » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks for your advice ! Didn't realise they were replacing core files.
Any themes you like and are well coded ?

Post by Malaiac » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:44 pm

So ... tried another theme, which doesn't overwrite files

download + upload since wget doesn't work
unzip + move into preprod folder

Menu / Extensions / Themes / Default Store Theme > changed to doprocsskin
Note : there are two items for this page, both behave the same (changing one setting in the first item changes it in the second one). If I delete one , the other one disappears. Creating a new one creates two.
Theme Name Status Action
Default Store Theme
- <storename> Activé
Default Store Theme
- <storename>
Settings / Edit / Theme : already set to "Default Store Theme"
= no change on the front end !!

Is there some kind of subtlety I'm missing, or is it just another bug ?

EDIT : ok it seems this is just a CSS overload on the default theme. Still trying to figure that out. and still open to suggestions. God knows I'm trying not to switch to WC