Post by Cartwheeler » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi,

How do i go about creating SEO Friendly URLS for my non product and product pages?

For example:

"/index/index.php?route=information/contact" should just be "/contact"
"/index/about-us" should just be "/about-us"

I'm using OpenCart v2.2.0.0.

Thanks

Post by Johnathan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:27 pm

OpenCart supports SEO keywords for products, categories, manufacturers, and information pages. Anything else requires an extension to rewrite the URL properly.

For the basic SEO functionality, you'll want to rename the .htaccess.txt file to .htaccess on your server, then turn on SEO URLs in System > Settings > Server tab. Once you do that, you can enter the SEO Keyword in the relevant data (e.g. the About Us information page should have an SEO Keyword field that you can enter "about-us" in).

For the other pages like the contact page, you'd need something like Rewrite Manager. That lets you enter the route of the page and then rewrite the "index.php?route=" portion, so you can change it like you're describing. Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Cartwheeler » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks all. Good to know that you actually need to get an external module. Would have thought having SEO friendly URLs were a easy configuration from out of the box...

Post by AdieB » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Has anybody tried this on Localhost? I am trying it locally before placing live and using Screaming Frog SEO to crawl it. Under SF URL tab it doesn't display the URL as friendly, but rather as the actual URL? As far as I understand, it should work on localhost, or am I missing something? v2.3.0.2. NB I am just using it on information pages for now. If I look at the page in the url_alias table in the DB, the change does reflect there. htaccess.txt is renamed to htaccess - any ideas?

Post by SergeTkach » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:12 pm

Cartwheeler wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:00 pm
Thanks all. Good to know that you actually need to get an external module. Would have thought having SEO friendly URLs were a easy configuration from out of the box...
Actually in OpenCart 3 you can use Design -> SEO URL

Post by SergeTkach » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:17 pm

AdieB wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:27 pm
Has anybody tried this on Localhost? I am trying it locally before placing live and using Screaming Frog SEO to crawl it. Under SF URL tab it doesn't display the URL as friendly, but rather as the actual URL? As far as I understand, it should work on localhost, or am I missing something? v2.3.0.2. NB I am just using it on information pages for now. If I look at the page in the url_alias table in the DB, the change does reflect there. htaccess.txt is renamed to htaccess - any ideas?
htaccess must be named .htaccess (with dot). But if it is problem with htaccess, you may see Page 404. Maybe it is necessary to turn on SEO URL in Setting -> Store Setting -> Tab Server as @Johnathan said.