Post by earthprobiotic » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:29 pm

I've tried this multiple ways:

FTP - merge
FTP - replace

After doing ftp I then put back my old config.php files under root/ and under admin/

The go to http://www.mysite.com/install

Go to upgrade page. Click continue - and disaster strikes.

Same error. Text file attached.

What am I doing wrong?

Post by donmck » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:17 pm

I have been running around in circles with much the same problem. I had a similar printout, but had a shot at many things now, and finally got into the install routine.

I am now confused with the config.php files and what they should contain when doing an ***UPGRADE*** from V2.0.1.1 to V2.1.1.1

1) Pointing to the correct sub dir on the server?
2) contain zero bytes?
3) delete completely?

I got to step 3 in the install procedure, and wasn't able to connect to the DB.

"access denied for user "name" @address using password."

Can I or should I use localhost as the host name?

It appears to be more of a connection to the DB problem.

BTW when I got all of the above gibbersish as the previous poster mentioned, I managed to blow up the DB, but was able to restore it with cpanel.

Fortunately I have a full set of backups all round.

Has anyone successfully been able to upgrade to V2.1.1.1, or is there a major underlying problem?
I know there is an extension to overcome a DB bug in the later versions.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers Don...

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:04 am

The config files need to be updated in the DIR section and you should be able to run the upgrade script then. Although the upgrade script runs, it doesn't add the new database tables that you need but there is an OC Mod for it:

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=24454

Take a close look at our domain pricing. It's cheaper than most of the 'big name' registrars.
Detailed guide on how to install Opencart

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by donmck » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:25 pm

EvolveWebHosting wrote:The config files need to be updated in the DIR section and you should be able to run the upgrade script then. Although the upgrade script runs, it doesn't add the new database tables that you need but there is an OC Mod for it:

Hi "EvolveWebHosting",

I didn't realize I needed to subscribe to the topic, but all under control now. Have just read your message, and thank you.

Just to clear up the procedure.

I install the extension first so that I can patch the existing data base ready for the new version on my current running version.

I don't touch either config.php files, I leave them as is, and don't install the new config.php over my existing ones.

I then write the new files over the top of the old version. (exception the two config.php files)

I then run the install as per normal, and all should be well.

Please correct me if I have misread this.

Cheers Don...

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:16 pm

donmck wrote:
EvolveWebHosting wrote:The config files need to be updated in the DIR section and you should be able to run the upgrade script then. Although the upgrade script runs, it doesn't add the new database tables that you need but there is an OC Mod for it:

Hi "EvolveWebHosting",

I didn't realize I needed to subscribe to the topic, but all under control now. Have just read your message, and thank you.

Just to clear up the procedure.

I install the extension first so that I can patch the existing data base ready for the new version on my current running version.

I don't touch either config.php files, I leave them as is, and don't install the new config.php over my existing ones.

I then write the new files over the top of the old version. (exception the two config.php files)

I then run the install as per normal, and all should be well.

Please correct me if I have misread this.

Cheers Don...
Hi,

That is not correct. Your existing config files have to be modified in the DIR sections and you don't upload any extension files to begin with. I always start with a new database and import the old data into it and I install a new set of files in a sub folder. Leave the working store alone until you have the bugs worked out of the new.

Take a close look at our domain pricing. It's cheaper than most of the 'big name' registrars.
Detailed guide on how to install Opencart

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by donmck » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks for getting back so quickly "EvolveWebHosting"

I hate wasting peoples time by asking these questions, if a procedure is already set out for 2.0 to 2.1 Upgrades.
I guess there isn't an FAQ on this. I couldn't see one after a lot of searches. I was only able to gather snippets of information, that don't seem to be consistent.

Is the real problem that additional data base tables have been added to the V2.1 DB?

Your suggestion of operating your old cart intact, and testing on a new one is fine, but for me it leaves me with a whole new set of questions.

Let's call the operational cart domain "shop.com", and the directory it uses "/shop" and the database "shop.db"

OK, I create a new cart in a DIR called "/shop-new" and a new database called "shop-new.db"

Do I need a new domain name such as "shop-new.com" or will addressing the appropriate dir allow the cart to run without a domain name?

Do I create a new "shop-new.db", and do a new install of V2.1 to "/shop-new"?

Then reading from your last message:
"Your existing config files have to be modified in the DIR sections"
Are we talking about for now, modifying the DIR section to "/shop-new" to allow the new installation?
But when we do a new install, don't we use two config.php files with zero bytes?

When we have the new installation working in "/shop-new", we then import "shop.db" into "shop-new.db"?
We then install our existing extensions and modifications into "/shop-new"?

If all is well, we have the new installation in "/shop-new", and have to move it into the old shop DIR by changing DIR names and congig.php files to reflect the correct location for the domain name. I guess we could also re-point the domain name to the new location.

Question on Databases and backup and restore.
Can we use either of the cpanel and opencart functions to do exactly the same thing, or is one preferable over the other?

Again, please correct me if I have misread this.

Sorry, I know for a web developer that is doing upgrades and installs possibly several times a week, perhaps even several a day, these questions may seem trivial, but for a newcomer to Opencart, it is very confusing when there isn't a correctly laid out procedure defined in what I feel should be a simple upgrade.

Again, thank you.

Cheers Don...

Post by Bassi » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:57 am

You may want to try http://goo.gl/R8PIAT which is a fix after the upgrade breaks.

You can also check the thread at Github.https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/3424

This thread reported that the upgrade was broken on October 6th.

Regards
Bassi

Post by donmck » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Bassi wrote:You may want to try http://goo.gl/R8PIAT which is a fix after the upgrade breaks.

You can also check the thread at Github.https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/3424

This thread reported that the upgrade was broken on October 6th.

Regards
Bassi
Thanks for the info Bassi.

I have decided not to upgrade for now under the circumstances. No rush. I'll check back in a few months when the upgrade path is working.

Cheers Don...