Post by straightlight » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 am

Which says Which says STARTTLS should be on port 587 and Implicit TLS should be on port 465 (you can't implement both STARTTLS and Implicit TLS on the same port). This contradicts this statement.
It was never said that STARTTLS should be implemented on the same port but the above does state on each ports (465, 587) as per the IETF documentation. I even quoted it ...

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by ADD Creative » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 am

straightlight wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 am
Which says Which says STARTTLS should be on port 587 and Implicit TLS should be on port 465 (you can't implement both STARTTLS and Implicit TLS on the same port). This contradicts this statement.
It was never said that STARTTLS should be implemented on the same port but the above does state on each ports (465, 587) as per the IETF documentation. I even quoted it ...
straightlight wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 pm
According to the 3-3 part, both STARTTLS are addressed to implement:
As a result, clients and servers SHOULD implement both STARTTLS on
port 587 and Implicit TLS on port 465 for this transition period.
Note that there is no significant difference between the security
properties of STARTTLS on port 587 and Implicit TLS on port 465 if
the implementations are correct and if both the client and the server
are configured to require successful negotiation of TLS prior to
Message Submission
.
You are not reading the documentation correctly. It doesn't say STARTTLS should be implement on ports 587 and 465. It says servers should.
1. Implement STARTTLS on port 587.
2. Implement Implicit TLS on port 465.

www.add-creative.co.uk


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:02 am
Location - United Kingdom

Post by straightlight » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:21 am

ADD Creative wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 am
straightlight wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 am
Which says Which says STARTTLS should be on port 587 and Implicit TLS should be on port 465 (you can't implement both STARTTLS and Implicit TLS on the same port). This contradicts this statement.
It was never said that STARTTLS should be implemented on the same port but the above does state on each ports (465, 587) as per the IETF documentation. I even quoted it ...
straightlight wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 pm
According to the 3-3 part, both STARTTLS are addressed to implement:
As a result, clients and servers SHOULD implement both STARTTLS on
port 587 and Implicit TLS on port 465 for this transition period.
Note that there is no significant difference between the security
properties of STARTTLS on port 587 and Implicit TLS on port 465 if
the implementations are correct and if both the client and the server
are configured to require successful negotiation of TLS prior to
Message Submission
.
You are not reading the documentation correctly. It doesn't say STARTTLS should be implement on ports 587 and 465. It says servers should.
1. Implement STARTTLS on port 587.
2. Implement Implicit TLS on port 465.
It's still on both ports. That's what I replied.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by ADD Creative » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:03 am

You can't use STARTTLS on port 465 if you have Implemented Implicit TLS on that port. The same way you can't use Implicit TLS on port 587 if you want to accept the STARTTLS command on that port. So there in nothing on both ports.

www.add-creative.co.uk


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:02 am
Location - United Kingdom

Post by straightlight » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:23 am

ADD Creative wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:03 am
You can't use STARTTLS on port 465 if you have Implemented Implicit TLS on that port. The same way you can't use Implicit TLS on port 587 if you want to accept the STARTTLS command on that port. So there in nothing on both ports.
Ok AddCreative, it has been several posts about this. If you believe there's nothing on both ports, your thoughts have been shared. No need to go further.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by ADD Creative » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 am

straightlight wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:23 am
ADD Creative wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:03 am
You can't use STARTTLS on port 465 if you have Implemented Implicit TLS on that port. The same way you can't use Implicit TLS on port 587 if you want to accept the STARTTLS command on that port. So there in nothing on both ports.
Ok AddCreative, it has been several posts about this. If you believe there's nothing on both ports, your thoughts have been shared. No need to go further.
Just to be clear, not really what I meant by 'nothing on both ports'. You have taken that bit out of context. It's clear from the previous sentence, that I meant that neither of the two options would be on both ports, just their own port.

For anyone chancing upon this topic. As I've been tying to explain. Configure the mail setting in one of the following way.
1. Use the ssl:// prefix in the SMTP Hostname and port 465.
This will tell OpenCart/PHP in use Implicit TLS encryption on port 465.
Or.
2. Use the tls:// prefix in the SMTP Hostname and port 587.
This will tell OpenCart/PHP to connect normally to port 587 and use the STARTTLS command to upgrade the connection to a secure one using TLS.

www.add-creative.co.uk


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:02 am
Location - United Kingdom

Post by jenal5584 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:53 pm

ADD Creative wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm
jenal5584 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:40 am
I test using forgot password url. Using mail protocol no issue. Just smtp got issue.
Image
That looks fine ssl:// on port 465 is correct. You could also use tls:// on port 587.

Does your email in System -> Settings -> Store (tab) -> E-mail match System -> Settings -> Mail (tab) -> SMTP Username?

What form are you sending from? Register, order, contact, etc.?

If it's the contact form there is a bug in that it will uses the customer's email address as the from address. Which of cause is wrong and could generate your error as it won't match the SMTP Username.

You could try the fix here.
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/co ... 2f7903601e
I try from forgot password link. Both TLS and SSL giving same error.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Post by straightlight » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:09 pm

jenal5584 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:53 pm
ADD Creative wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm
jenal5584 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:40 am
I test using forgot password url. Using mail protocol no issue. Just smtp got issue.
Image
That looks fine ssl:// on port 465 is correct. You could also use tls:// on port 587.

Does your email in System -> Settings -> Store (tab) -> E-mail match System -> Settings -> Mail (tab) -> SMTP Username?

What form are you sending from? Register, order, contact, etc.?

If it's the contact form there is a bug in that it will uses the customer's email address as the from address. Which of cause is wrong and could generate your error as it won't match the SMTP Username.

You could try the fix here.
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/co ... 2f7903601e
I try from forgot password link. Both TLS and SSL giving same error.
Please provide a screenshot of your OC mail form (without password).

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by ADD Creative » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:13 am

jenal5584 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:53 pm
I try from forgot password link. Both TLS and SSL giving same error.
If you are still getting this error.

Code: Select all

Notice: Error: MAIL FROM not accepted from server! in /home/username/mydomain.com/system/library/mail.php on line 328
It means the settings you have entered are correct, as this error is only generated after your username and password has been accepted.

What it does mean is that the mail server didn't like your store's email address. Check that your email address in System->Settings->Store (tab)->E-mail matches your email address in System->Settings->Mail (tab)->SMTP Username.

If it does match then you can get more information as to why it was rejected by changing line 328 of system/library/mail.php from:

Code: Select all

trigger_error('Error: MAIL FROM not accepted from server!');
To:

Code: Select all

trigger_error('Error: MAIL FROM not accepted from server! ' . $reply);

www.add-creative.co.uk


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:02 am
Location - United Kingdom
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests