Post by paia » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:34 pm

would be nice to have product categories menu expandable, to see the subcategories. I know, that luvz2drv already made some mods at his site, but that was just not, what I expected. at the main page, I should see only the main categories, if some category has subcategory, then add "+" icon in front, if you click on this category, you should see, page with products of this category (and form all subcategories) and in the menu, you should see this category expanded with subcategories.

Post by luvz2drv » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:40 pm

well its a start... 

so you want the sub cats all collapsed to start with?

and then have to expand them as they go...

can be done...    also may want to check back on my site as I had 2 versions of this going...    one that just showed the cats & subs

and the now what I will stay will collapsible sub cats.

-=Luvz2drv=-

luvz2drv

Post by luvz2drv » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:48 pm

ALso I have plans to modify the sub cats to come out as a fly out menu :)

this willl be done shortly...

luvz2drv

Post by paia » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:17 pm

-=luvz2drv=- wrote: ALso I have plans to modify the sub cats to come out as a fly out menu :)

this willl be done shortly...
floating menu is bad idea for products, because you have to be precise with mouse (many of the customers are very cautios when handling the mouse). it's ok for admin section, where are just few sections and it's drop-down-styled. also, floating menu is not seo-friendly (=business=$$$).

Post by scandic » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:08 am

paia wrote: floating menu is bad idea for products, because you have to be precise with mouse (many of the customers are very cautios when handling the mouse). it's ok for admin section, where are just few sections and it's drop-down-styled. also, floating menu is not seo-friendly (=business=$$$).
That's not correct. There are ways to handle unordered lists for this using javascript but search engines will only see the unordered list. You can also define a clickable area with css that's large enough for all users.

Location - Frankfurt, Germany

Post by paia » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:57 am

show me successful e-shops using dynamic floating menu...  :-X

Post by ogun » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:15 am

scandic is absolutely right.

Cascading menus can be made to work with the keyboard as well as the mouse for people who aren't able to use a mouse. They're also better in terms of accessibility because users can navigate a site quickly rather than stepping through pages.

There is a potential 'irritation factor' to cascading menus, as there is with any other dynamic page element - but if dynamic elements are implemented properly and appropriately and they degrade well then the 'irritation factor' becomes irrelevant.

http://www.harrods.com/Cultures/en-GB/H ... eindex.htm
http://www.waitrose.com/index.aspx

Post by fisher318 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:00 am

Hey, not sure, but I just posted this thread here: http://forum.opencart.com/index.php/topic,947.0.html and I was wondering after searching, if you guys knew anything about one product having a drop down menu to be able to select various colors or whatever? Any thoughts or ideas of how to accomplish this?

Denver Colorado Web Site Design and Internet Marketing | Tactical Flashlights