Post by tmccaffe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 am

I see that a lot of people having problems with securing their sites and what I will add from my little experience with php.

Some servers especially ones that are free give you pretty much locked out on what you can do but there is tricks that I found along my way.

First off the config.php files should be set to 444 and if your server don't allow this through FTP, cpanel or other means than you can try the following:

than go to your domain/permissions.php after that delete this file

make a file and call it permissions.php inside that file do this:

Code: Select all

<?php
// Read and write for owner, nothing for everybody else
chmod("/pathto/config.php", 0444);

// Read and write for owner, read for everybody else
chmod("/pathto/admin/config.php", 0444);

// Everything for owner, read and execute for others
chmod("/pathto/index.php", 0444);

// Everything for owner, read and execute for owner's group
chmod("/pathto/admin/index.php", 0444);
?>
the /admin/ folder of course should be renamed all .htaccess files should also be set to 444 there is some more security tips as well but that is the basics.

if that don't work I suggest look for another host in my opinion because sooner or later you will be hacked if you can't set those permissions

Post by tjvisualdesign » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:46 am

I thought the config files needed 755 permissions?

I definitely need help with what permissions are needed and how to configure them properly and how they effect the site e.g. do some permissions effect how the site operates and how certain scripts run?

I was under the impression that 755 and 644 are basically the only permissions you should use, but I've found some files being changed when uploaded through filezilla that are 775 777 666 etc so then I have to go through every single directory and change them or use the batch process to do them all at one, but then I don't know if they should be 755 or 644.

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:25 am

I wrote this, about a decade ago:
http://everyauction.info/serverinfo.html#6
it may be of some help!
Good Luck
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland