Post by mattwhelan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:14 am

I need to charge people in CA only, and I've set up a Tax Class w/ a California Geo Zone and have assigned that Tax Class to all products. However, people in all states are getting charged for CA tax.

Now, I'm using the prior version of Open Cart, so it's not the latest one, but I wonder if this issue has appeared before. I've gone through Qphoria's instructions from another post about 10 times now, but I can't seem to get Opencart to tax only Californians. Has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions?

This is a live site and it's getting a lot of orders, so I can't upgrade to the latest version of the store in the near future, so that's not currently an option, but, people in New York apparently get kind of peeved when you tax them for California :P

Any help is appreciated!

Post by Daniel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:22 am

what state are u in?

has the site always being doing this or just recenty?

you need to goto your geo zones and change the zones.

Administrator

Post by mattwhelan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:31 am

The company sells in stores across the country, but their headquarters are in Los Angeles, CA, so we need to tax customers buying in state here on their website. It's been doing it since we launched the shop a week or so ago, just went unnoticed at first. I've followed Qphoria's instructions a few times (http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... tax#p20883), but I'm still getting taxed even when I change my address to Vermont, NY, etc. I'm about to go through and delete all the tax classes and geo zones and start again, but I believe this means I have to go through and reset all the tax classes for every product (several hundred).

Post by Daniel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:42 am

what is the store location set to in the settings?

Administrator

Post by mattwhelan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:48 am

USA -> CA
(that's what is under the "Local" tab)

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:13 am

mattwhelan wrote:USA -> CA
Change it to LA if that is where the shop is based. Why CA if that is not where you are?

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:15 am

Daniel wrote:
mattwhelan wrote:USA -> CA
Change it to LA if that is where the shop is based. Why CA if that is not where you are?
That's not how it works. CA = California.. which is the zone. Los Angeles is just the city. See my link above for the correct setup.

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by mattwhelan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:34 am

Qphoria, I already followed those instructions (about 10 times so far :) )... Hasn't worked yet. I think there's a bug in the store somewhere. I've already erased Geo Zones/Tax Classes and started from scratch with them a few times, so I think I'm going to just start hacking the checkout code so that only Californians get taxed, since we've got tons of people getting taxed and are having to refund tax monies...

Can you tell me which file determines whether or not to apply a tax on the checkout page?

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:39 am

its the geo zone. If customer geozone = store geozone, then add tax.

Those instructions in the other post work... you must be doing something else wrong. That functionality is the same since 0.x and it works there too.

Administrator

Post by mattwhelan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:49 am

Okay, how does this sound:

Turns out there is a setting in the product page called "Requires Shipping," and if this is set to "No," then no shipping address is required from the customer since it's assumed one isn't needed in that scenario (if they select one product that requires shipping, and one that doesn't, then shipping address IS needed). So, the people who were charged sales tax when they shouldn't have been were people who ordered only products that have the "Requires Shipping" set to "No" (which were the bulk of our sales over the past week).

So, when they get to the checkout page WITHOUT a shipping address, the software must assume that the product is not being shipped, or at least staying, in the company's state (CA), and so taxes were assessed since state taxes are apparently assessed based on the shipping destination. I don't know if this is how it typically works in retail sales for "non-shipped" products, but in our case it was just a mistake, the products should have been marked as "Requires Shipping == YES."

I don't know if the above procedure is correct, or if it's a bug or oversight in the software, but as long as they're only selling physical product that needs to be shipped, then they can set all products to "Requires Shipping == YES" and they shouldn't have any problems.

Post by Daniel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:37 am

just set it to display prices without tax in the settings.

if the people live in califonia it will display the taxes at the end.

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 pm

did it fix the problem?

Administrator

Post by mattwhelan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:14 am

The "Display Taxes in Price" option didn't really come into play for this problem.

When the store owners added some recent products, they left the "Requires Shipping" field set to NO for 4 items, which is the default setting when adding a new product. This was physical product they were selling, so shipping was actually required, and that field should have been set to Yes.

OpenCart determines whether taxes should be charged (if a Tax Class is assigned to product) based on the shipping destination, so when the "Requires Shipping" field was set to NO, but a Tax Class was applied to the product, the software assumes that the product's destination must be the state where the store is located (California, our case), at least that's what I think was happening.

So, we had some people from New York and Florida and other places who were getting charged sales tax, but we also had some people in Kansas and other states who weren't getting charged. It was very confusing at first. Turns out that people who got taxed outside of California inappropriately were people who ordered ONLY products that had "Requires Shipping" set to NO. People who ordered one product that required shipping and one that was set to NO were prompted for their shipping address, and then the shipping address was used as the basis for the tax question, and if they were outside of CA, they didn't see any tax.

So, turns out everything was probably working properly, it was just very hard to finally pinpoint what the problem actually was. I guess the software is correct in assuming that if the product is marked as not requiring shipping, but has a tax class assigned to it that includes CA taxes, the product must be somehow physical (eligible for CA taxes), and staying in the state (triggering the state tax). Have to be very careful in the future and make sure all items have appropriate tax class assigned and Requires Shipping set to YES, otherwise New Yorkers end up paying $$$ to CA, and they don't like that very much.

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:21 am

glad you got it fixed.

i'm going to set the field requires shipping to always be yes as default.

Administrator

Post by mattwhelan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:33 am

Awesome. I think that would be appropriate under most retail circumstances.

Post by kereniya » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Can taxes from my groceries receipts be included when I file my tax? I heard from other people that they itemized all the receipts from groceries and other items that has taxes on them and they include this when they file their tax. They don't own businesses so I don't get how they can do this. Is there a separate form that I can fill out to include all my expenses that has taxes on them?

hindu matrimonial

Post by developer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:54 am

some of my products don't require shipping and i have the same problem. i want them to be sent as free shipping and it adds tax to all zones. how can i fixt that?

Post by developer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:29 am

i know it's fixed on 1.4.9 but i'm using 1.4.8.b

which file(s) should i edit for that?

Post by Qphoria » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:32 am

Are you seeing this for Guest Checkout only?

Administrator