Post by Qphoria » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Yea, that does make sense now that I think about it.

So:

2 x Product 1: $5.00
-
Cart Total: $10.00
Coupon: -$2.00
(New Cart Total: $8.00)
Shipping: 5.00
Tax: 4%

Total: ($8.00 + $5.00) + 4% = $13.52

-----------------------

2 x Product 1: $5.00
-
Cart Total: $10.00
Shipping: 5.00
Tax: 4%

Total: ($10.00 + $5.00) + 4% = $15.60
Gift Voucher: -$2.00
New Total: $13.60

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:09 am

I'm thinking of getting rid of the order totals and forcing them to be hard coded. Although I can come up with a solution to some of the problems It just feels a bit hackery.

I think only oscomemrce and zencart offer order totals as modules.

What do you think?

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:30 am

as shown with the removing of template selection... defeaturing things is never a good idea

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:30 am

defeaturing things is never a good idea
I disagree!

Template system is a feature that is expected in web applications. Order Totals are something oscommerce uses and have never really worked out very well. If the new feature is good and works well keep it else replace it with something that works better.

For a system to be module each module should be self contained and not rely on each other. Boxes, Shipping and payments work great. With order totals they have to be aware of the data each other contains. Add a new one and you might need to modify all of them.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:18 am

hmm.. But then if you demodularize totals, how do you add new ones? I was able to add a surcharge total module without affecting the others. Perhaps the design needs to be reworked to be cleaner. I guess try it and see. Or wait for new inspiration.

Administrator

Post by liquidpele » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:20 am

Sounds like you need some core functionality that controls the totals, but that the modules are able to influence in some way through a function call or passing values/objects to it or whatever. That way the modules don't have to talk with each other, but they can still influence the system if they adhere to the specifications to do so. I don't know how the current code works in this regard though, so I don't know if that's something worth taking on or if it's even possible given the current implementation though.

Post by Daniel » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:12 pm

I have looked at all the different totals order totals on the osc contribution page and there are only 5 pages and a lot of them are repeated.

Say you add a voucher system in that means you will have to touch the code anyway to install it. Its not a drop in script so its not very module.

For surcharges, handling fee or low quantity fee we can have a page in the admin where you can set a charge depentant on quantity, price or size of the item ordered.

A quick question do we add tax to surcharges, handling fee or low quantity fees.

Administrator

Post by mal-schauen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:28 am

I think we discussed this subject with the voucher in an other contribution should be embarrassed. In this contribution was actually to calculate the error in the order confirmation. How far is actually the error corrected?

Alles für die Anwendung im deutschen Sprachraum
Hier gehts zum deutschen Forumbereich

Location - Germany