Post by slawrence10 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:47 pm

This is not a good way of doing things guys.

We've got people reporting bugs on this thread, plus a Bug Tracker on OpenCart.com, as well as entries on Google Code!

Can we not migrate everything to Trac or Traq system?
That way we could create dedicated milestones and issue out tickets between willing developers!
Meaning QPhoria wouldn't have to do everything.

Scott Lawrence - Creative agency - Bespoke web and graphic design

Location - London, UK

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:52 pm

back in 0.x we wanted bugs ONLY in the google code page. very few posted
I finally said "lets just open a bug forum".. the forum was flooded with bugs that laid not found for months because people didn't want to make another account to post bugs.

Some people do still post in the google code page, and some use the new bug tracker that was added to the main site

but both require yet another login and even I don't read them because like those people, I can't be bothered to look elsewhere for bugs. So if you want a bug fixed, post it in the forums. Trac and other "Structured" settings are great on paper, but are just overhead and tedious maintenance steps.

I see a bug posted in the forum on monitor A.
I quickly look up the code and fix it on monitor B.
I reply "fixed, thanks!" back on monitor A.
Done.

Not
See which bugs are there
Assign them to my self
look at the bug and fix it
Mark the bug fixed

We have methodology systems at my work and while they are important for a system that has 10 developers+ and support teams. They are overkill for a 2 man team

Administrator

Post by slawrence10 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Qphoria wrote: Log in to trac
See which bugs are there
Assign them to my self
look at the bug and fix it
Mark the bug fixed
I don't think there is an argument time wise as you still have to log in to a forum and "look at the bug and fix it".

Equally
I see a bug posted in the forum on monitor A.
I quickly look up the code and fix it on monitor B.
I reply "fixed, thanks!" back on monitor A.
the set up would be the same except you don't reply you just close the ticket.

Personally I think that is why there are only two developers.

I would happily contribute to bug fixing and development of the opencart core, but as it stands its very hard for anybody to do this. The way you have the debugging set up means its very closed. For example, as of current all bug fixes are posted as answers on a forum. If a proper system was in place, files could be attached and as a result easier access to a rolling beta. Likewise for users....new versions of OpenCart have in the past been uploaded irresponsibly and as a result people upgrade to versions that are littered with bugs, and so another "new" version comes out 12 hours later....the reason being there is no access to the beta code (I would have to copy and paste all your fixes across the forum). If a ticket system existed and developers used a release candidate for just a week before rolling it out you could save on a host of errors.

I completely understand your reasoning here, but for the future of OpenCart I think it would be much more viable moving on to a ticketable system in order to (A) attract new developers, removing this two-man band scenario where you are overloaded with work and probably don't get time to implement the stuff you actually want and (B) provide a more robust product to the user.

Anyway just my thoughts.

It's not a personal rant, I appreciate the hard work of yourself and Daniel in this, it's just hard for anyone else to join in and as result the whole project seems a bit slow.

Regards,
Scott

Location - London, UK

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 pm

there are only 2 developers for our reasons, not yours ;)
Too many hands in the cookie jar is no good.

The point tho is that i am already in the forums anyway. I check new posts like once every 10 min. I won't be trolling the trac page waiting for bugs.

Administrator

Post by slawrence10 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:02 pm

Qphoria wrote:there are only 2 developers for our reasons, not yours ;)
lol i figured as much...obviously no plans for those QPhoria Modules becoming standard ha ha

Location - London, UK

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Well my modules being part of the core is another story. I did add a few of them like featured, specials, latest. But not all of them apply to all people. There is no correlation between what I add or don't add from my arena.. its business as usual

Not letting more people in is just a good idea.. the more people adding code, the messier it gets
Some like tabs, some like spaces
some like the curly brace on the same line as the if, some like it under

Even long time ones like ZenCart have only 4 guys on staff and only 2 doing real coding.

Administrator

Post by david25 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 am

Google feed module does not apply currencies rates to the product price for multishops. Think that might be a bug.

Regards

Post by Johnathan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:49 am

Here's a strange one that took me a while to figure out what was going on:

If any of the template images that are referenced (by the stylesheet, modules, etc.) are missing, you can't stay logged in through checkout. Any link you click on will log you out. You can test this by moving the "switcher.png" image out of the default template image directory, then trying to log in and checkout.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:57 am

Johnathan wrote:Here's a strange one that took me a while to figure out what was going on:

If any of the template images that are referenced (by the stylesheet, modules, etc.) are missing, you can't stay logged in through checkout. Any link you click on will log you out. You can test this by moving the "switcher.png" image out of the default template image directory, then trying to log in and checkout.
I'm sure you know that makes no sense. I've just tried it and was able to checkout fine. I even renamed my whole image directory and i was able to checkout with no images.

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:27 am

Qphoria wrote:
breeze wrote:Tiny spelling fix on "Approval" word. :P

/admin/language/english/common/

Code: Select all

$_['text_total_review_approval']   = 'Reviews Waiting Aprroval:';
should be

$_['text_total_review_approval']   = 'Reviews Waiting Approval:';
Thanks@
Technically this should be "Reviews Awaiting Approval" ("awaiting", not "waiting"). The English language files are actually full of spelling and grammatical errors, along with some poorly worded messages. I'll trawl through them soon and report back. I'm sure everyone will be waiting with bated breath!

Post by gocreative » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:46 am

Qphoria wrote:Not letting more people in is just a good idea.. the more people adding code, the messier it gets
Having two people doing the work that dozens of people could be doing is definitely not a good idea.

Write some documentation around accepted coding practices and use an approval workflow to ensure you see all code before it's published. Surely it's more productive for contributors to write new code (leaving you to simply correct any minor formatting errors) than writing all of the code yourself.

At the end of the day, as long as yourself and Daniel are still making the decisions on what needs to be done, in what order, and who it can be assigned to, there's no problem with getting others involved in the project. Sometimes I get the feeling that you and Daniel just want to keep the project to yourselves, and that happens to everyone (including me), but I think you need to be aware of it for OpenCart to really move forward. There's so much to be done - documentation being one of the major issues - but it's often a much slower process than it needs to be.

I hope you'll take this criticism constructively and with an open mind, because I love the product and truly appreciate your work on it. I just want to see it reach its potential.

Post by Xsecrets » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:23 pm

furiousweebee wrote:
Qphoria wrote:Not letting more people in is just a good idea.. the more people adding code, the messier it gets
Having two people doing the work that dozens of people could be doing is definitely not a good idea.

Write some documentation around accepted coding practices and use an approval workflow to ensure you see all code before it's published. Surely it's more productive for contributors to write new code (leaving you to simply correct any minor formatting errors) than writing all of the code yourself.

At the end of the day, as long as yourself and Daniel are still making the decisions on what needs to be done, in what order, and who it can be assigned to, there's no problem with getting others involved in the project. Sometimes I get the feeling that you and Daniel just want to keep the project to yourselves, and that happens to everyone (including me), but I think you need to be aware of it for OpenCart to really move forward. There's so much to be done - documentation being one of the major issues - but it's often a much slower process than it needs to be.

I hope you'll take this criticism constructively and with an open mind, because I love the product and truly appreciate your work on it. I just want to see it reach its potential.
hey we are taking a giant leap forward just getting Q I'm happy with that for now. As far as the documentation goes I'm quite positive that neither Q or Daniel would turn away any documentation that anyone wanted to contribute. I Know I'm not going to do it I hate documenting.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Karen » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Qphoria wrote:For those getting "Error: Email to required!"
This is due to the additional alert email check adding a single "blank" email to the additional email list. It doesn't stop any orders, but it throws an ugly error.

Quick fix:

1. EDIT: catalog/model/checkout/order.php

2. FIND (~line 379):

// Send to additional alert emails
$emails = explode(',', $this->config->get('config_alert_emails'));
foreach ($emails as $email) {
    $mail->setTo($email);
    $mail->send();
} 
3. REPLACE WITH:

// Send to additional alert emails
$emails = explode(',', $this->config->get('config_alert_emails'));
foreach ($emails as $email) {
    if ($email) {
        $mail->setTo($email);
        $mail->send();
    }
} 
Hi Q,

I couldn't find the code you mentioned above in catalog/model/checkout/order.php. Am I missing something?

Using OC version 1.4.8b
http://catandcaboodle.com/

Location - WA State, USA

Post by DoctorQ » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:50 pm

I have version 1.4.8b and I noticed two errors in the operation of the store.

Issue 1 Customer after logging in, see your order history. At the level of home> login> order history (it is obsolete total). Only when I click "details" - the total is valid.

Second problem The admin panel does not update the value of purchases, if an administrator alone will add products to the customer's order - the sum of the main list and detailed view does not change
Last edited by i2Paq on Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title adjusted + Topic moved

Post by i2Paq » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Issue 2; this is how it is meant to work. The is NO auto-update on order total etc. in the current Order Edit.
You have to do it manually

Issue 1: When does this happen? I cannot reproduce it.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Johnathan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:46 pm

Qphoria wrote:I'm sure you know that makes no sense. I've just tried it and was able to checkout fine. I even renamed my whole image directory and i was able to checkout with no images.
I know, it makes no sense to me either! I'm testing on a local installation using MAMP, so that might be it, or else it's somehow affected by the other OpenCart versions installed along with it. Oh well, at least it's just me.

If anyone runs into this problem and knows what's happening, let me know! Sorry for the false bug report.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:17 am

Johnathan wrote:
Qphoria wrote:I'm sure you know that makes no sense. I've just tried it and was able to checkout fine. I even renamed my whole image directory and i was able to checkout with no images.
I know, it makes no sense to me either! I'm testing on a local installation using MAMP, so that might be it, or else it's somehow affected by the other OpenCart versions installed along with it. Oh well, at least it's just me.

If anyone runs into this problem and knows what's happening, let me know! Sorry for the false bug report.
could it be soemthign to do with mod rewrite. or possibly your tmp directory is not allowing files to be deleted or modified.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:19 am

DoctorQ wrote:I have version 1.4.8b and I noticed two errors in the operation of the store.

Issue 1 Customer after logging in, see your order history. At the level of home> login> order history (it is obsolete total). Only when I click "details" - the total is valid.

Second problem The admin panel does not update the value of purchases, if an administrator alone will add products to the customer's order - the sum of the main list and detailed view does not change
it's the same issue.. if you edit the order, the original/main total doesn't get updated. This was done intentionally but it seems for the wrong reasons. It will be addressed in future versions

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:23 am

furiousweebee wrote:

Trust me. The are many programmers out there but very few good ones. People just make a hash of things. I have already tried it once and I had to rewrite everything.

Which other PHP open source projects are out there with a lot of developers?

magento does not use community code. they use some company in russia to do all their coding.
prestashop is all in house.
oscommerce's code is quite messy.
Joomla 1.5 core classes were writen by one guy. not sure how many members are working on the core of the code.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Karen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:01 am

furiousweebee wrote:Write some documentation around accepted coding practices and use an approval workflow to ensure you see all code before it's published. Surely it's more productive for contributors to write new code (leaving you to simply correct any minor formatting errors) than writing all of the code yourself.

Daniel wrote:Trust me. The are many programmers out there but very few good ones. People just make a hash of things. I have already tried it once and I had to rewrite everything.

Which other PHP open source projects are out there with a lot of developers?

magento does not use community code. they use some company in russia to do all their coding.
prestashop is all in house.
oscommerce's code is quite messy.
Joomla 1.5 core classes were writen by one guy. not sure how many members are working on the core of the code.
At the risk of continuing a thread that shouldn't be here (this is supposed to be for bugs), I must contribute my 2 cents.

Having just tried out about a dozen other software packages - from free to costly, from DIY to hosted solutions, from ones with no support to ones with support included - I chose OC above them all.

While I appreciate that having documentation and an official bug-tracking mechanism and etc., etc. is how it's "supposed" to be done, I can assure you that paying for a product won't guarantee any of that, and from what I can see, OC isn't in any danger of "not moving forward" (whatever that means) because it lacks it. There are plenty of upgrades and patches here and it easily competes with every other cart out there.

Documentation is really not an issue here. For instance, I tried out a $250 program that had "documentation" - the kind that only a moron would need. What we REALLY want when we say we need documentation is "how do I accomplish this (fill in the blank)?" And IME, there is no real substitute for that than an active forum, no matter who wrote the software or the documentation or what they charge for it.

Not only does OC have an insanely active forum, but it's frequented by its two main developers. What more can you ask for? I've heavily modified some of my templates, and I figured out how to do (almost) everything I wanted to do from this forum. Every question I had in the first few days had already been asked and answered here.

Contrast that with the previously-aforementioned $250 program, which had something it called a forum (I could hear the tumbleweeds blowing through it), and whenever I'd contact support for some odd behavior of the program, they'd essentially tell me that they wouldn't help me because I'd modified a template. >:(

Yeah, I'm kinda worried that Daniel and Q might get burned out on this, but that's their call.

Using OC version 1.4.8b
http://catandcaboodle.com/

Location - WA State, USA