OpenCart is an online platform written in PHP. Like other platforms of its nature, there needs to be some basic understanding of website and file management. If you are unfamiliar with the following terms, Please refer to your hosting companies support site or search engines for answers.
This document assumes you understand:
- FTP Client
- Chmod permissions
- Root directory
- FTP File Editing and updating
- Creating a database
- Ability to reading included documentation (seriously!)
- Download the latest version of OpenCart
- Unzip/Extract the file to your desktop.
- Follow the instructional files:
--- if this is a new install, read the readme.txt and install.txt files
--- if this is an upgrade, read the readme.txt and upgrade.txt files
- After install is completed, be sure to delete the "install" folder
Now that you have installed opencart you have 2 site options: Frontend (Catalog) or Backend (Admin). The first step will be to setup the basic fundamentals of your store. This is a simple but important first step.
- Login to your admin area using the admin login you created during the install
- In the menu, choose "System->Settings"
- Go through each tab carefully and read each item. Some of them require personal data for your store and currency defaults. Others are settings based on your preferences for running the store. Be sure to read each one carefully.
- Save your changes
- Spend some time with each of the menu options in the admin. The menus group similar pages together
--- Dashboard is your home page. Gives a quick view of total sales, a visits-to-sales chart, and your most recent orders
--- Catalog is where you configure your categories, products, informational pages, and manufacturers
--- Extension is where you configure what modules (sideboxes) are shown on your site, as well as the payment and shipping options
--- Sales is where customers, orders, and coupons are located
--- System is the main settings as well as localisation settings like languages and geozones. Also user permissions and groups.
--- Help links back to the main opencart site for additional help.