Post by stokeyblokey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:52 am

A simple vQmod for OC versions 1.5.x which adds an Opensource cookie control module to your site.

Single language only unfortunately but it can be translated into any one language and there are several translated versions now available.

The code is open-source from Silktide and they host the javascript and stylesheet so it is always up to date. You can host these yourself by following the instructions linked to in the download readme file.

There are a variety of options such as colour theme and types of cookies - all of these are controlled by the xml and it is easy to customise by following the instructions and links in the download.

I am always happy to make the xml for anyone who does not know how so long as they send the generated code to me - for translated versions all I ask is that you correct my terrible translations and send them back to me so I can share them with everyone else ;D

Download page

Versions:

v1.0.1 LIGHT Theme - Social Media and Necessary Cookies, banner appears on first visit to site only, privacy tab at bottom right.

v1.0.2 version without the Privacy Tab (although they recommend you replace it with your own if you do this).

V1.0.3 DARK theme - Social Media and Necessary Cookies, banner appears on first visit to site only, privacy tab at bottom right.

V1.0.4 MONOCHROME theme - Social Media and Necessary Cookies, banner appears on first visit to site only, privacy tab at bottom right.

V1.0.5 LIGHT theme - Social Media, Analytics and Necessary Cookies, banner appears on first visit to site only, privacy tab floating on left side.

V1.0.6 DARK theme - Social Media, Analytics and Necessary Cookies, banner appears on first visit to site only, privacy tab floating on left side.

V1.0.7 MONOCHROME theme - Social Media, Analytics and Necessary Cookies, banner appears on first visit to site only, privacy tab floating on left side.

EXPLICIT CONSENT:

V1.0.8 LIGHT theme - Social Media, Analytics and Necessary Cookies, banner appears on every page until consent is gained, privacy tab floating on left side.

V1.0.9 DARK theme - Social Media, Analytics and Necessary Cookies, banner appears on every page until consent is gained, privacy tab floating on left side.

V1.0.10 MONO theme - Social Media, Analytics and Necessary Cookies, banner appears on every page until consent is gained, privacy tab floating on left side.

V1.1.0 - LIGHT theme - Social Media, Analytics and Necessary Cookies, banner "pushes" and appears on first visit to site only, privacy tab floating on left side.

V1.1.1 - DARK theme - Social Media, Analytics and Necessary Cookies, banner "pushes" and appears on first visit to site only, privacy tab floating on left side.

V1.1.2 - MONOCHROME theme - Social Media, Analytics and Necessary Cookies, banner "pushes" and appears on first visit to site only, privacy tab floating on left side.

2 new translated versions available with a big thanks to cgmheltzel and Luka Stanonik for help with the translations :)

V1.2.1 Nederlandse taalversie in Licht thema

V1.2.2 Različica v slovenskem jeziku z Dark temo.

V1.2.3 Kostenlose Cookie Steuermodul in deutscher Sprache im Lichte Thema - please correct the translation and send it back to me :)

V1.2.3.1 Kostenlose Cookie Steuermodul in deutscher Sprache in der Monochromen Thema - please correct the translation and send it back to me :)

V1.2.4 Module de contrôle des cookies gratuit, en français - thème lumière - please correct the translation and send it back to me :)

V1.2.4.1 Module de contrôle des cookies gratuit, en français - thème monochrome - please correct the translation and send it back to me :)

V1.2.5 Bezpłatne cookie-moduł sterujący w języku polskim - light motyw - please correct the translation and send it back to me :)

V1.2.6.1 El plugin cookie-control traduccion espanol - Tema Oscuro, banner en la parte inferior de la página. Configuración de privacidad a la izquierda con consentimiento explícito.

All support enquiries to stokeyblokey125@hotmail.com

If you want to support me in my quest to learn more about php and Opencart and to keep producing free mods with support, then please feel free to donate £1 or $1 or €1 (but no more than that please!) - thank you :)

Stokey
Last edited by stokeyblokey on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stokey

Post by OSWorX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:29 am

While this is a nice mod, it goes beside how the EU-law regarding privacy and cookies is defined!
And that law says that BEFORE a customer does NOT agree to the handling of ANY cookie, no cookie is allowed to set!

But this mod does not suppress cookies before the customer has agreed to accept them.
Dangerous for every shop owner - but fine for any laywer!

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by stokeyblokey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:47 am

In the UK all webshops have been told that implied consent is a given as cookies are required to run a webshop.

For all other countries like the Netherlands (see Dutch version) which require the more strict interpretation of this stupid law you can have Explicit consent required, which is what you refer to I believe - only the necessary opencart cookie is set until consent is given for other types such as Analytics and Social Media etc.

It all depends on the options you choose ;) And as they warn on the Silktide site:

"Using Cookie Consent is not a guarantee of compliance with the new law. You are responsible for the cookies which your website sets. This plugin is designed to help you gain consent for (and control the usage of) cookies on your website. After installing, you should carefully assess your use of cookies to ensure it complies with the new law and make sure you have an up-to-date privacy policy."

I am not a lawyer but this will satisfy UK regulators just fine, users must ensure it meets their own local legal requirements.

Cheers

Stokey

EDIT: Of course I do highly recommend OSWorx professional Cookie control module for those who need Multistore, Multilanguage and a cast iron indemnity from the EU law ;)

Stokey

Post by stokeyblokey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:22 am

To clarify, this script does not stop cookies from being set but what it does is stop the scripts from running which use the cookies to do anything like track you etc. In the UK this is considered 100% compliant - in other countries perhaps not...

The UK government in a letter dated 24/05/11 recognised that gaining consent before cookies are installed is “impractical” and that providing users with information and choices (which it equates with consent) would be reasonable. - See more at: http://www.eu-cookie-law.com/frequently-asked-questions

Since the only way I know for a site to "know" not to set cookies on a machine is for the site to set a cookie on the machine saying "don't set other cookies" (which kinda proves how daft this law is!) I am not sure how else you would do this - you can't keep a database by IP since they are dynamic.

There is a better explanation here

I know you can wrap the code in some other script which stops all cookies being set (and therefore all scripts from running except itself I would assume) conditional on the response from this code (found info on that on Wordpress sites..) but that seems a ridiculous length to go to unless required by local law.

Is that how your module handles it OSWorx? A script blocker until consent is gained?

Cheers,

Stokey

Stokey

Post by OSWorX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:04 pm

stokeyblokey wrote:I know you can wrap the code in some other script which stops all cookies being set (and therefore all scripts from running except itself I would assume) conditional on the response from this code (found info on that on Wordpress sites..) but that seems a ridiculous length to go to unless required by local law.

Is that how your module handles it OSWorx? A script blocker until consent is gained?
Basically - yes > until the user / customer has activ agreed (by checking the checkbox) no cookies are set.
Until that only defined texts (by the shopwoner) can be visited (e.g. like the imprint, privacy, etc.) - in any installed language.

This is the only way a shop become a certification from services like TrustedShops (we guide several shopowners to become that certification each year and that why I can tell you that fact because we work together with their laywers).

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by stokeyblokey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:06 am

Hi OSWorx,

Have had a think about all of this and have pulled the extension down for the moment.

I can see my implementation is not good enough for many site owners (especially in Germany, Holland - maybe Austria too?) but I am working on it. The [i,s,o,g,r,a,m] format used by the new GA script also doesn't work with this Cookie Consent script so had to be changed....as far as I can work out anyway! :-\

I will replace the old versions with some UK-valid ones, and some for other EU countries that accept cookies can be set immediately so long as users can turn them off (I believe the Netherlands is moving in this direction) but it will involve site admins/coders to setup more themselves and it will not work for custom modules which set cookies (facebook etc) unless they make manual edits to those files in addition...need to learn more about this bit.

I have succesfully tested my new code with Google Analytics and that works properly now at least!

And for anyone else reading these posts - if your regulator is strict then pay for OSWorx's module and cover your own back! Seems like you have to be a javascript guru to be fully compliant in some countries otherwise...

EDIT: Uploaded a fixed Dutch and Polish version, will do Spanish translation next but please note the discussion above about what is blocked and what is not.

Stokey

Post by stokeyblokey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:16 am

Okay I have uploaded a version with limited Social Media cookie control - limited to either or both of: the AddThis cookies set when using the Share button on product pages; the Facebook Like Box Module v1.2 from ocextensions.com

You can extend the Social Media controls quite easily (assuming it runs as <script> and there are instructions in the file - with so many modules and buttons etc this is something everyone will have to do themselves if they don't use the ones I use).

With all 3 xml running you will only be setting default Opencart PHPSESSID, currency and language cookies (necessary cookies) and the cookie to store your cookie consent settings (oh the irony! :laugh: ).

For UK users this will be overkill in my opinion (and the ICO) but you never know how the law will be interpreted in future...for other EU users I recommend you check your local laws/regulations as above - if you are allowed to set necessary cookies then this should work for you just fine :)

Been a busy day today, learned lots - thanks for getting the brain going OSWorx!

Stokey

EDIT: Cookie Consent report from Sitebeam, running all 3 xmls -
result with 3 xmls running(1).jpg

Not bad... - result with 3 xmls running(1).jpg (100.63 KiB) Viewed 4785 times

result with 3 xmls running.jpg

Necessary Cookies only :) - result with 3 xmls running.jpg (73.32 KiB) Viewed 4785 times

Stokey