Post by garuda » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 am

Hi, I received the email below this morning from the OpenCart Team. While I completely understand examples 2 and 3, could someone help clarify the first example? So if I post a link to a demo installation of OpenCart with my Extension installed (so potential interested parties can check it out in action) is this grounds for an "instant ban"??

I just listed my first extension/module for sale on OpenCart, Customer Product Manager (http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... TjITlHHKxQ), and the very first Comment I received was a request for a demo, which I promptly created and added to the post (http://opencart.garudacrafts.com/1541/democpm/). Should I remove it?
This is a mass email to all sellers so there is no need to reply. I have recently noticed that some sellers are adding in their descriptions things like:

View the demo of the templates at this link: http://www.xnetus.net/template/temp0845/
Buy from our shop at a lower price http://www.xnetus.net/shop/
or you can buy it cheaper from http://www.toplondoner.com; thanks very much

OpenCart is not an advertsment service and anyone caught doing this will get an instant ban!

Best Regards
OpenCart Team

Post by daik01 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:49 am

I had a mail from Daniel that "demo links are fine!"

TOP 5 Opencart Extensions:
1:Opencart Reservations
2:Stock Report, import/export stock levels with Excel
3:3D Carousel
4:Product Price Changer by Category
5:Set price Inclusive Taxes
DEMO SHOP

Post by gob33 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:43 am

In the same way, if external links to a commercial site are forbidden in the extension shop, are they authorized in the forum signatures ?

All my extensions

Location - France

Post by Johnathan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:39 am

Here is a summary of acceptable link usage as I understand it:

1. Demo links in extension are fine -- and really should be encouraged. Demos are needed for customers to make informed decisions.

2. Links within extension descriptions to an external page offering the same extension are NOT allowed in the extension store.

3. General links to your own site (for example, "See all my extensions here: http://main-site-url") are acceptable, both in an extension description and in your forum signature.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by gob33 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Point 3) contradict your point 2)

All my extensions

Location - France

Post by Johnathan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:44 pm

No, they do not. Having a link like this:

"Buy this extension cheaper here: http://direct-link-to-extension"

will result in a ban. Having a link like this:

"To see a full list of my extensions, visit: http://main-site-link"

will not. I confirmed the second instance with Daniel -- if someone else knows otherwise and would like to correct me, feel free.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by gob33 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:18 am

In both cases, you are directing the merchand to a cheaper extension.
This is hypocrit to ban in one case and not the other.

All my extensions

Location - France

Post by daik01 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:14 am

I think so too. I don't understand why such a big banner to opencartx is possible. But it's a moderator ???

TOP 5 Opencart Extensions:
1:Opencart Reservations
2:Stock Report, import/export stock levels with Excel
3:3D Carousel
4:Product Price Changer by Category
5:Set price Inclusive Taxes
DEMO SHOP

Post by garuda » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:09 am

I would personally agree with Johnathan, provided the following clarifications on his last two points (my words in bold):
2. Links Advertising a cheaper place to buy the extension with a link within extension descriptions to an external page offering the same extension are NOT allowed in the extension store.

3.General links to your own site (for example, "See all my extensions here: http://main-site-url") are acceptable, both in an extension description and in your forum signature, provided you don't explicitly advertise that cheaper rates may be found there.
In which case #3 no longer contradicts #2. As far as I'm aware, there is no non-exclusive right to sell on the OpenCart store, so there shouldn't be any issue with a developer offering his extension for sale on his own website. Further, every developer should be able to list a link to their website. The line is crossed when one blatantly encourages a potential buyer to buy from their own store by posting a message/link indicating such on the OpenCart store/forum. That would be stealing a sales lead generated by OpenCart.

Post by Johnathan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Yes, garuda's clarifications are good. I feel like there's a pretty obvious difference between trying to direct traffic from your extension page to a cheaper version, and just having a link to your own site, so use common sense. You can always take it up with Daniel if you're concerned about being banned for one of your links.
gob33 wrote:In both cases, you are directing the merchand to a cheaper extension.
This is hypocrit to ban in one case and not the other.
No, #2 is directing the customer to the exact page where they can get the extension cheaper, and telling them it's cheaper. #3 is giving a general website link, and is not using the extension store page as advertising for their own sales.
daik01 wrote:I think so too. I don't understand why such a big banner to opencartx is possible. But it's a moderator ???
Keep in mind forum signatures are different than extension store descriptions. I'm more than happy to change it if Daniel has a problem with it, but he has not ever contacted me about it.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by gob33 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:10 am

You are just playing with words.
Every extensions buyer knows that a link to external site will direct him to a cheaper price.
It's Daniel to clarify its politic and decide if he wants to promote external sales in any manner and then loose its 20% commission.

All my extensions

Location - France

Post by MarketInSG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 am

well, external sites does not equal to cheaper price. I sell my mods at the same price regardless of the website you purchase from.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by Johnathan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:50 pm

gob33 wrote:You are just playing with words.
Every extensions buyer knows that a link to external site will direct him to a cheaper price.
It's Daniel to clarify its politic and decide if he wants to promote external sales in any manner and then loose its 20% commission.
Again, I'm just trying to help clarify the policy for people as I understand it, since Daniel's not doing so. If he'd like to step in and clarify what he said at any point, I'll gladly support him in it.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by MarketInSG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:23 am

I will say Johnathan is right here. Since Daniel's not clarifying, and Johnathan's way seems more realistic, we may keep with his guidelines of what links to place and what not to.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by tulip_craft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:31 am

now i am unable to submit or edit my extensions..
well.. does it mean i've got banned.?? :)
didn't know about that rules, i was fill a commercial link into a download file.. something like a signature at the top of readme file..
why i didn't receive a warning when i was submit an extension with that commercial link.?? why just now.??
what about something like this in a description.??

sorry for my question, just curious.. :)

All about Crochet and Knitting, a Handicraft Store -> http://tulip-craft.com

Post by Johnathan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 pm

You should contact the OpenCart team. No one here will be able to tell you if / why you were banned.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by mrbill » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:45 pm

I hope this isn't going too far OT:

Taking Amazon as an example - if you want to sell on Amazon as a 3rd party - they take a commission (and a fairly large one depending on the item). But - you are not allowed to sell that item for more than you sell it on your own site. If you do, they remove your item and/or ban you.

I'm surprised Daniel doesn't mandate something similar. If you want to sell your extension on his site - it has to be the same price on your own site.

Post by Johnathan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:00 am

I don't have any inside knowledge, but I think the reason he doesn't do that is that it would be extremely hard to monitor. It would be possible, certainly, but it would be a significant time investment to monitors dozens (or hundreds) of sites, especially when it may not actually increase revenue at all. Then again, maybe people are more honest than I'm giving them credit for. :)

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by mrbill » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:07 am

Most debs would be honest - with the threat of a ban :-)