Post by d7a7z7e7d » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:13 am

Overview:

This extension allows both the purchase and redemption of gift vouchers for your store. Basically it works like this:

1) You create a Gift Voucher product for your store, just as you would any other product. Maybe give it a name like "Gift Voucher" or "Gift Certificate". Then you might create "Amount" options for the product and specify values like "$5, $10, $25, $50, $100, etc".

2) In the Gift Voucher configuration you identify the product you created as a Gift Voucher. Now, any time an order is placed for one of these products, a "Generate Gift Voucher" button will appear on the admin order page. Clicking this button will automatically generate Gift Vouchers for each of the qualifying products in the order. If the "Auto Email" option is enabled, the customer will be e-mailed the Gift Vouchers and can begin redeeming them immediately.

3) To redeem the voucher, the customer types in the gift voucher code during checkout. Depending on how you have Gift Vouchers configured, the balance of the gift card can be applied towards shipping as well as tax. If the customer still has a total due after applying the gift voucher balance then they continue checkout as normal. Otherwise, a "Free Checkout" option appears where they can continue checkout without having to make further payment. Any remaining balance left on their gift voucher can be used for future purchases. The customer can see the remaining balance of their gift voucher on their invoice.

Features:
  • Define any number of available amounts, (i.e. $5, $10, $25, $100, $1000, etc)
  • Gift Vouchers can be automatically e-mailed to the customer once generated
  • Gift Vouchers act as a regular product, you have complete control over it
  • Choose whether or not Gift Vouchers can be used towards Tax and/or Shipping
  • Specify how long Gift Vouchers are valid for, or make them last forever
  • Choose what the auto generated Gift Voucher Codes look like
  • Gift Vouchers can be used on more than one order
  • Easily keep track of Gift Voucher balances and usage history
  • Support for Multiple Languages and Currencies
Notes:

Several changes to core files are necessary to add this extension. All changes are documented and include START and END code comments so you can easily find these modifications down the road.

You will also need to be familiar will executing SQL code. Two new tables along with a modification to an existing table is required. All SQL code changes are provided in a file for your convenience.

This extension has only been tested with 1.4.9.x and therefore is only guaranteed to work on those versions. There is a possibility it could work with 1.4.7 and/or 1.4.8, I just haven't tested it on those verisons yet.

Visit the Gift Vouchers Extension Page

OpenCart Extensions, Technical Support & Custom Development | Have I helped you?

Location - USA

Post by platypuspuzzles » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi!
I've just purchased this! Have been looking for a gift certificate module since I started back in August, so thanks!!

Will let you know how it goes once I've sorted out my upgrade error messages

Post by scanreg » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:10 am

1. Can you refund the gift cards if they are not redeemed?

2. Can you limit gift vouchers to specific geo-zones?

3. Can users always see the balance in their accounts?
2) In the Gift Voucher configuration you identify the product you created as a Gift Voucher. Now, any time an order is placed for one of these products, a "Generate Gift Voucher" button will appear on the admin order page.
4. Are gift vouchers automatically created, or does customer have to wait for admin to generate the gift vouchers?

5. Can customer email gift voucher recipients to let them know of their new gift voucher? (since most gift cards are for other people, not the buyer)

Thanks

Post by d7a7z7e7d » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:44 am

scanreg wrote:1. Can you refund the gift cards if they are not redeemed?
There is no built in functionality for this but you do have access to current balances and could easily delete/disable the Gift Voucher and issue a refund through whatever method you normally use.
scanreg wrote:2. Can you limit gift vouchers to specific geo-zones?
No. However, I think this is a good idea and may considering adding that functionality to a future version.
scanreg wrote:3. Can users always see the balance in their accounts?
No but once again a great idea that I may consider adding to future versions. Currently the balance is shown on the receipt of their last order.
scanreg wrote:4. Are gift vouchers automatically created, or does customer have to wait for admin to generate the gift vouchers?
They are generated manually in the admin. I originally built it to where they were generated automatically but decided to remove this feature because I ran into issues when they used payment methods that had lead time (i.e. Check or Money Order). Since you probably don't want to issue them immediately in these circumstances, I just decided to leave the auto-generate feature out for now. I'm still not entirely sure what the best way to go about making sure the order has been paid for is so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears. Maybe check for a certain order status before auto-generating?

There is an "Auto Email" option that will send the customer an e-mail containing the Gift Voucher details as soon as you generate it.
scanreg wrote:5. Can customer email gift voucher recipients to let them know of their new gift voucher? (since most gift cards are for other people, not the buyer)
Since there isn't really a custom input field option for products, this is pretty hard to do at the moment. Right now the purchaser gets e-mailed the voucher, I suppose they could forward it to the recipient?

OpenCart Extensions, Technical Support & Custom Development | Have I helped you?

Location - USA

Post by platypuspuzzles » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

Hi,
just thinking re manually generating the gift certificate in admin...is it possible to set the auto genorator prompt via the order status?

i.e. once an order has changed from 'pending' to 'processing' - then the auto generator can email the gift voucher code.

Post by d7a7z7e7d » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:31 pm

platypuspuzzles wrote:Hi,
just thinking re manually generating the gift certificate in admin...is it possible to set the auto genorator prompt via the order status?

i.e. once an order has changed from 'pending' to 'processing' - then the auto generator can email the gift voucher code.
Yeah that should be possible. Maybe that's how I'll end up doing it in the end.

For now, you can just use the "Generate" button on the order screen to create the vouchers for an order. It's manual, but it does the job for now.

Location - USA

Post by platypuspuzzles » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:08 pm

yeah, the demo was easy to understand. Thanks for the program :)

I've asked elsewhere, but you might know, do you know if there is (or would it be something you would create) an extention that allows us to ask the customer how they found out about us?

Something like a drop down menu, or even just a text box, asking the customer how they found us. In the drop down box we could have a selection for google, yahoo, bing, facebook, twitter, friend referral, newspaper, tv, magazine..etc.

Post by scanreg » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks for your detailed replies, much appreciated

Another Q: will the Gift Voucher system be able to deduct loyalty points? (in case the recipient is an existing customer with points accumulated)

I believe Daniel is working on a loyalty points system for 1.5.x

Thanks

Post by platypuspuzzles » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi again d7

I'm a bit unsure on step 2 in the instructions (new install to modified 1.4.9.3).

Can you please include more detailed (step by step) instructions to either here, or the extenstions tab.

Cheers

Post by d7a7z7e7d » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:42 pm

@scanreg: I'd say no. That ability will have to be added after OpenCart 1.5 is released.

@platypuspuzzles: I replied to your question on the extension page's comments. Please let me know if you have any futher issues. Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by platypuspuzzles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 pm

ITS WORKING!! AND LOOKS FAB!!!

BUT, I've done something - when fixing the error (i didn't see your notes as I ended up adding the pre-moded guest check out 2 page), I have everything thing working EXCEPT I've lost the 'gift voucher' checkout coupon box.

I'm too tired to look through what ive done to loose this, but if you read this before I'm back online, feel free to let me know what I need to do :)

you can check out my voucher set up at www.platypuspuzzles.com.au - feel free to let me know what you think, and how I can improve it :D:D:D

Thanks again for the mod!

Post by d7a7z7e7d » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 am

@platypuspuzzles: You are most likely missing the code required on the guest_step_2.tpl and confirm.tpl files. Please go back and double check the instructions for these files and verify that the GV code is there. If it is there and still not showing up, check the guest_step_2.php and confirm.php controllers and make sure you have added the GV code there as well. Nice looking site by the way!

Location - USA

Post by platypuspuzzles » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 am

Ah yes!! I thought this may happen when I added the coding to the 'default' pages as I use a modified template.

The gift voucher coding is in step 2 check out for the default template, but not in my modified template.

I'll work through it now and let you know how I get on

Post by d7a7z7e7d » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:54 am

Ok sounds good. Just let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

BTW, I love the way you implemented the Gift Vouchers on your site. What module is that that allows the customer to enter in custom text?

Location - USA

Post by platypuspuzzles » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Hiya, is there anyway to make the installation any easier?

It's so time consuming with all the individual coding we have to do. It's the only thing that needs improving imo x

Post by d7a7z7e7d » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 am

No worries, I'll be releasing a vQmod for it soon.

I thought you already had it up and running on your store though?

Location - USA

Post by phaques » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:12 am

Any chance of customizing the email that is sent out?

Post by d7a7z7e7d » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Yes you can do that by editing the language file.

Location - USA

Post by dreami2 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:08 pm

I have the gift voucher extension 1.1c.
I finally mamanged to figure out qmod, got it working and i can see sales/gift vouchers in admin.
I have created gift vouchers and have setup gift voucher configuration, added gift vouchers to right hand side box etc.

* also have Extensions, Modules, Gift Vouchers visible in admin. Problem is when i go into orders there is no "generate gift voucher" button anywhere. I can't work out how to send the gift voucher to the customer, or how to generate it automatically - there doesn't seem to be anywhere to do this. I can view and configure gift vouchers, just not send them.

I have tried setting the autom email to enabled and disabled - still no option to send the voucher via email or to generate it automatically.

I dont have guest_step_2.tpl - as mentioned previously in this forum, do i need it? It isn't included with the zip file i downloaded? Is this my problem, its also not mentioned in the instructions?

Would really appreciate if someone could tell me where i have gone wrong / what i am missing. I have spent hours (& hours) trying to get this working correctly.

Thank You
dreami2

Post by phaques » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Key step is that you need to select the product you are selling as the gift voucher in the setup under Order Totals. Under the Products section, you'll need a product listed on the right column.

I had the same issue initially.