This extension allows both the purchase and redemption of gift vouchers for your store. Basically it works like this:
1) You create a Gift Voucher product for your store, just as you would any other product. Maybe give it a name like "Gift Voucher" or "Gift Certificate". Then you might create "Amount" options for the product and specify values like "$5, $10, $25, $50, $100, etc".
2) In the Gift Voucher configuration you identify the product you created as a Gift Voucher. Now, any time an order is placed for one of these products, a "Generate Gift Voucher" button will appear on the admin order page. Clicking this button will automatically generate Gift Vouchers for each of the qualifying products in the order. If the "Auto Email" option is enabled, the customer will be e-mailed the Gift Vouchers and can begin redeeming them immediately.
3) To redeem the voucher, the customer types in the gift voucher code during checkout. Depending on how you have Gift Vouchers configured, the balance of the gift card can be applied towards shipping as well as tax. If the customer still has a total due after applying the gift voucher balance then they continue checkout as normal. Otherwise, a "Free Checkout" option appears where they can continue checkout without having to make further payment. Any remaining balance left on their gift voucher can be used for future purchases. The customer can see the remaining balance of their gift voucher on their invoice.
- Define any number of available amounts, (i.e. $5, $10, $25, $100, $1000, etc)
- Gift Vouchers can be automatically e-mailed to the customer once generated
- Gift Vouchers act as a regular product, you have complete control over it
- Choose whether or not Gift Vouchers can be used towards Tax and/or Shipping
- Specify how long Gift Vouchers are valid for, or make them last forever
- Choose what the auto generated Gift Voucher Codes look like
- Gift Vouchers can be used on more than one order
- Easily keep track of Gift Voucher balances and usage history
- Support for Multiple Languages and Currencies
Several changes to core files are necessary to add this extension. All changes are documented and include START and END code comments so you can easily find these modifications down the road.
You will also need to be familiar will executing SQL code. Two new tables along with a modification to an existing table is required. All SQL code changes are provided in a file for your convenience.
This extension has only been tested with 1.4.9.x and therefore is only guaranteed to work on those versions. There is a possibility it could work with 1.4.7 and/or 1.4.8, I just haven't tested it on those verisons yet.
Visit the Gift Vouchers Extension Page